mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Frazer Mountain Madness

Brutal, beautiful course. Very well organized. Good course marking, great volunteers. Very nice raffle prizes. Oh yeah, and free beer ALL WEEKEND. The folks that put this on deserve a big backslap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Brutal is the word for it. Good event lots of fun but they should have stopped giving me beer at 11 am.
    I was the nut standing on the side of the course drinking and having a great time. Did you think the course lacked a real payoff for all of that climbing? While doing my laps after the race I kinda thought it sucked. Maybe it is just me that dislikes gravel roads?

Torture is good and all but I like a little smooch with the whip.

Over all a good event due to the great, friendly volunteers but I think the course could be a lot more fun, I just get sick of straight up and straight down.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Brutal is the word for it. Good event lots of fun but they should have stopped giving me beer at 11 am.
    I was the nut standing on the side of the course drinking and having a great time. Did you think the course lacked a real payoff for all of that climbing? While doing my laps after the race I kinda thought it sucked. Maybe it is just me that dislikes gravel roads?

Torture is good and all but I like a little smooch with the whip.

Over all a good event due to the great, friendly volunteers but I think the course could be a lot more fun, I just get sick of straight up and straight down.
    That is the type of feedback the promoters need to hear from the racers to help them make their events even more fun and successful.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Actually I enjoyed the FR descents. I usually check my speed, do the "responsible thing". It was nice to have license to scare the s**t out myself. Given how steep the whole valley is it would be hard to have a more rolling descent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    ... I was the nut standing on the side of the course drinking and having a great time. ...
    I definitely remember you, and not just the fact that there was a guy out there at 10AM with a big brown bottle. You were pretty fired up, and doing your best to keep the riders fired up - very tour de france.

Within 1 mile of that hill climb, I was already finding it hard to believe that I did both races last year, and already relieved that I'd chosen to take the next day off. That first couple of miles is just not conducive to the flow of a XC race. I vote for several more switchbacks in the first couple of miles of the XC race, and I won't be up for the HC again. Doing leg presses for 1:20 is just not what I race mtb's for. I don't think I was ever able to turn the pedals over fast enough for the altitude to become a factor, although I did manage to get it over with a helluva lot faster this year.

Race bag was like Xmas morning, and they definitely go to the extreme in keeping everyone involved in the prizes. There's obviously an acceptable medium between awarding class winners and spreading the wealth around via a raffle, but I'm not sure their approach is the fairest for the class winners. Free beer is a huge plus.

They do work really hard to put on a quality event, and it's a great opp to take the fam or s/o for an extended stay, but I don't think that's ever going to be a hugely popular XC venue unless they can do something about the vertical - not with me, anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I like the hill climb, to me that has character. I like that it was on the same day as Ventoux and I was up there instead of watching the real deal on TV. I was there because my daughter was doing the climb for the first time and was uncomfortable so I started a half hour earlier, went to the top and back to where you saw me. I rode a single speed with a gear ratio almost one to one with two gallons of water and a couple bottles of homebrew. There are some people on this forum that know all about that climb.

I am sorry that you wont be coming up again, but I totally agree with why. I think mountain bikers should design the courses and there has to be some consideration for people who are not super men. Is this the only race we have that is a for profit sort of thing? Seems every other race has a charity that they are raising money for.

I don't know when sporting events starting giving away prizes to get people to show up but I HATE it. (Especially kids events, very bad presedence) You show up for the event, to see your friends and to compete, that is the prize unless you win something and even then I don't want some stupid prize, give me my medal and let me go home. And while I am ranting, what is up with having to wait for almost 3 hours for the awards? If I want to by lunch I will, I don't need to be starved for hours on end in the hopes that I buy some overpriced unhealthy piece of poo. I will never buy a $8 sandwich and I can't drink more than a beer or two, free or not. I have to stay, the kids want those little shiny bits but people must have gotten back to the big city really late.

Hey, wait up!
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the link, that's my girl!! She is not going to like the pic.

mtbr member
    Greg, I almost stopped to have a beer with you. I appreciated your encouragement! I also agree with your opinion of the race. Stay Safe Buddy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH

Thanks for posting the link, Dave.

--Jim
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"