Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Is the bike OK?

Found a Nambe Nugget

My wife and I checked out Nambe today after hearing it was dry and it was in perfect condition .

While riding the upper part of the figure 8 loop we normally do, I noticed a trail not to far from the 503 parking lot that headed north so we decided to check it out. After a little while it came to a fork so I started my phone's GPS recorder at the start point of the below Google map. We rode the counter clockwise loop from there and although it wasn't too broken in yet, the terrain and the type of trail was just as good as the main Nambe loops we normally ride. After we completed most of that loop we came to another fork and decided to follow that trail north. It ended at an arroyo so we came back and eventually took another left fork that also came to an arroyo that we turned around at. The map later showed us the arroyo's would have made a loop but these two single tracks were not as nice as the first one we rode. Anyways, it was really cool finding another good loop to do there since the main loops don't take very long. The map I made finishes out the main trail we normally ride to the parking lot on county road 113. Let me know if anyone knows about this newer trail. I think someone mentioned to me a year or so ago that a trail was being routed in this area. We love riding Nambe in the winter and it just got better .

View
    2012-01-29 Nambe with New Loop in a larger map

Here's a a few pics from the day:
    Found a Nambe Nugget-nambe1_kristin.jpg
    Found a Nambe Nugget-nambe2_kristin.jpg
    Found a Nambe Nugget-nambe3_kristin.jpg
    Found a Nambe Nugget-nambe4_neal.jpg
    Found a Nambe Nugget-nambe5_kristin.jpg
    Found a Nambe Nugget-nambe6_kristin.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks great out there, Neal. Haven't been out there in maybe 8 years or more. Thanks for sharing.

wannabee
    Looks fun! I'll have to check that out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looking at the gps track on google maps, that appears to be a vast area! We should go out there with the intent of finding more trails. All that I know of are concentrated between co rd 113 and the parking area on 503. Are there more? I wonder where the borders of public land are?
    Great pics, too!

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by rodmccrady View Post
    Looking at the gps track on google maps, that appears to be a vast area! We should go out there with the intent of finding more trails. All that I know of are concentrated between co rd 113 and the parking area on 503. Are there more? I wonder where the borders of public land are?
    Great pics, too!
    Rod, I don't think there's anything else in this general area other than the two northern loops I found yesterday and I think they hit a fence on the northern boundary of BLM land. There is an arroyo ride that will take you all the way to Arroyo Seco but that's not much fun unless the sand is frozen or semi-wet. There are also trails that go off to the east side of 503 that some of our club members know about.

Thread Pollution
    back in the day, we use to cross the road and ride to the radio tower,too. to add more quality time with your special someone
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut View Post
    back in the day, we use to cross the road and ride to the radio tower,too. to add more quality time with your special someone
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about on the east side but haven't ridden myself. Is it single track or just extra miles on double track?

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about on the east side but haven't ridden myself. Is it single track or just extra miles on double track?
    Double track and old cow paths. I've scene other riders while on that side it's just not as used
    as the west side.
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

whats that smell?
    Jan 2012
    Lost my nambe nugget, think it fell out of my pack. Hope you enjoyed!

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
    Lost my nambe nugget, think it fell out of my pack. Hope you enjoyed!
    I did. riding solo so there was no one to share with
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    cool pics Neal.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    My wife and I checked out Nambe today after hearing it was dry and it was in perfect condition .

While riding the upper part of the figure 8 loop we normally do, I noticed a trail not to far from the 503 parking lot that headed north so we decided to check it out. After a little while it came to a fork so I started my phone's GPS recorder at the start point of the below Google map. We rode the counter clockwise loop from there and although it wasn't too broken in yet, the terrain and the type of trail was just as good as the main Nambe loops we normally ride. After we completed most of that loop we came to another fork and decided to follow that trail north. It ended at an arroyo so we came back and eventually took another left fork that also came to an arroyo that we turned around at. The map later showed us the arroyo's would have made a loop but these two single tracks were not as nice as the first one we rode. Anyways, it was really cool finding another good loop to do there since the main loops don't take very long. The map I made finishes out the main trail we normally ride to the parking lot on county road 113. Let me know if anyone knows about this newer trail. I think someone mentioned to me a year or so ago that a trail was being routed in this area. We love riding Nambe in the winter and it just got better .

View
    2012-01-29 Nambe with New Loop in a larger map
    Nice pics. I have never ridden there. Have meant to but just havent made it yet.Now I got to go. Is it easy to just go out there and have fun without knowing the area?

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Nice pics. I have never ridden there. Have meant to but just havent made it yet.Now I got to go. Is it easy to just go out there and have fun without knowing the area?
    It's fairly easy but there aren't any signs or maps. If you have a Droid I'd use my Google map for some reference and if not you may want to print it.

mtbr member
    It's fairly easy but there aren't any signs or maps. If you have a Droid I'd use my Google map for some reference and if not you may want to print it.
    true. Will do. Maybe I can find some of my own "Nambe nuggets"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodmccrady View Post
    Great pics, too!
    I'd be down for some trail exploration seeing how the trails up here are still icy.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thanks for sharing Neal. I've never been either and would like to try it out sometime. About how many miles of single track is out there?

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    Thanks for sharing Neal. I've never been either and would like to try it out sometime. About how many miles of single track is out there?
    I'd estimate about 10 miles of good single track in the area now.

Yesterday, The BLM met out there with a couple Santa Fe bikers (I'll let them speak more if they can chime in) and flagged some more trails that he hopes to get the Fat Tire Society and the Trails Alliance of Santa Fe working on this spring for even more trails. This place will only get better.

whats that smell?
    Jan 2012
    Went to Nambe to ride today, did the "new" loop, but judging from the faded flags its been there awhile and is a little used loop. We were followed by a dog for most of the way on the east side, and then he dropped off on the west side. I went back later and he was still running up and down the shoulder of the road. I took him back to Santa Fe and left him at the shelter. He is super friendly and a good trail dog. I already have too many dogs living in my house. If anyone knows about this dog or is looking to adopt, I'd give this guy a glowing recommendation! I've been trying to post on craigslist too but keep getting an error msg.... He is reddish, smaller (30lbs), might have some pitbull in him, but has longer fur and a long tail, white on his paws. I have a picture of him if anyone wants to check it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Found a Nambe Nugget-found-dog.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks you for sharing. I have not been there for years as well. Will definitely go soon.

Great pictures and thanks for the map. I was able to share it to my phone. Will be fun to try to retrace it.

Thanks,
    Lars

crap magnet

First time

JB and and enjoyed our ride there yesterday. Great views from up high. Good to have another winter riding option.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

New trail segment going in. Work day Weds, 2.15, 9 am

The BLM approved a new trail section that SF Fat Tire Society will be helping to put in. It's been flagged, so if you have a Wednesday morning off come help expand the Nambe Badlands trail network.

Trail project at Nambe on Wednesday 2/15. We are meeting at the trailhead on 503 at 9:00. Bring gloves, snacks, and water. Tools provided.

The 503 trailhead is 4.7 miles from the eastward turn towards Chimayo off 84/285. Look left for a pullout. Woohooo.
    Last edited by Sage_Cat; 02-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    My girlfriend is from Chimayo and been dying to try to find trails in the area. looks amazing out there

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Another work day this Saturday at Nambe

Trail project at Nambe Badlands again this Saturday 2/18. Meet at 9:00 at the main trailhead. Bring water, snacks, and work gloves.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

( . )( . )
    i drive through there every time i go back home and didn't even know there were trails there. that road was always the spot where we would race the cars late at night.
    Muzik
    ______
    There is no strong beer, only weak men

mtbr member
    May 2010

Maps of that area?

Satellite photos show lots of trails around there. Does anyone know how to access maps showing the boundaries of the public/private land in that area? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast