mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Folks to Ride/Boat with in Early June

Hey guys and gals,

After taking my nursing boards, I'll be road tripping from NC to Durango in early June and plan to spend a few days riding in the Land of Enchantment. I'm hoping to ride 2 days during June 5-7 (Thurs-Sat) and didn't want to go it alone. I've never ridden in NM and I still need to do more homework in the coming days, but some lurking on this forum tells me that, given my limited time, I should ride Dale Ball in SF (June 5) and S. Boundary in Taos (June 6 or 7). If anyone wants to show a visitor around it would be much appreciated. I've ridden all over the West but never NM. I enjoy riding all types of trails from fast/flow to technical and my fitness right now is good. I'll have some cold beer in the truck as well.

Any beta on free camping around SF and Taos would be awesome.

Also, if there are any kayakers out there that want to boat, let me know! Looking to get out 1 day while in the area, if levels are good. Use to boat Class V but school has limited time on the water, so comfortable on IV/IV+ right now. I'm safety conscious with 10+ years on the water.

Thanks all! Hope to connect with some of you soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My advice would be, hit summerfest at parajito sat. june 7. That is all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I will be at Angel fire that weekend...driving in from tejas

mtbr member
    May 2014
    If the embudo is still running hit it up. At low flow it is manageable class V river.
    American Whitewater - Near Rio Lucio to Hwy 75, Embudo Creek New Mexico, US

The gauge and the flow info is reasonably accurate. You should be able to find a partner using the facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/embudocreek/

I'd recommend biking over boating the lower stretches of the rio grande at low flow.

mtbr member
    I could show ya South Boundary on the 7th. I have to work the 6th.

ATR
    mtbr member
    There's some decent campsites in Hondo Canyon, 10-18 miles from Taos as you drive towards the Ski Valley on highway 150. As far as I know these are the only free developed FS campsites around Taos. There's a bunch of pay per night sites on 64 between Taos and Angel Fire, and lots of FS roads you could camp by if you don't care about a developed campground.

The campsites in Pilar right by the Rio Grande aren't free but they are nice, safer than the local FS roads close to town, and aren't very expensive;
    Orilla Verde
    Last edited by ATR; 05-27-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Found more valid info

banned
    May 2014
    peropirrana used to frequent these boards. He's into kayaking, as are some of his crew that lurk here from time to time. Sure wished we had the same bunch from a few years back. Lots of diversity. This board done got lame!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all of the information and tips. Summerfest looks like a good time. Thanks ATR for the camping beta - I'll plan to check out Hondo Canyon or the sites in Pilar if I'm feeling lazy. EurotrashNNM, thanks for the Embudo link. That creek has been on my radar for a while now, and sounds like lower flows might ideal.

SSweetlef: I'm down to ride South Boundary on the 7th. I'll send you a PM. thanks for the offer!

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to the trip.