Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

first weekend on true MTB trails

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gregg 
#1 ·
I've only been riding for about two months now, most rides coming on the bosque trail with my family and the others on the single tracks in the Corrales Bosque. But I tackled my first two mountain trails this weekend and had a blast. Challenging but so rewarding. I hit 365 on Friday evening and thought that was a blast! Also cool to see the various groups who maintain the trail throughout the area. The drops and turns were cool and the various rock areas were fun to manuever through. Today, I rode up in the east mountain area, near Sedillo in the Nat'l Forest. Not too bad, but some long downhill sections that were all rock/boulders. My wife went with (her first time on dirt) and did well. When we made it back to the dirt road, we decided go make one more loop.

Anyways, this is a great site with great info and I enjoy reading what you experienced riders have to say. Thanks for all the info.

#3 ·
Welcom aboard. CAUTION!!! This soprt can be hazardous to your health, and wallet. And very addictive.Befor you know it, all you think about is where to ride next. Really, you couldnt pick a better sport. Be safe, have fun. See you down the trail.

#5 ·
hazardous to the wallet - very similar to fly fishing! that's how I was when I started fly fishing years back, only wanted to get to the next stream or fly shop to get more gear. Saturday, my wife said "wow, another hobby you get to buy gadgets for!"

And as for keeping the wife interested, she was pretty stoked about coming down the trails yesterday and she also looks at it as a way of exercising - so I think she's locked in!

thanks for the responses. I've made some great friends on a few of the fly fishing boards I visit, I'm sure at some point that will happen here.

#6 ·
cdaddy said:
If at all possible, keep your wife interested in the sport. It will make your life easier down the road.

Trust me on this one.
Are you kidding me? Wife that likes bikes too, equals you now take care and do all the wrenching on her ride too,trail repairs,explanation why it's a guy's only ride and it's not because of your riding ability,you buy a bike better be ready to match it for her,did I mention trail repairs,learning why some people ride with the seat tilted
to one side. Basically you become a domestic servant to your wife when she wants to share the same passion.
All wives should take note of this and for one time in your marriage unload your man's bike from the car rack,fix his flat , adjust his brakes or chain tension.

#7 ·
Good Grief, man....

makachut said:
Are you kidding me? Wife that likes bikes too, equals you now take care and do all the wrenching on her ride too,trail repairs,explanation why it's a guy's only ride and it's not because of your riding ability,you buy a bike better be ready to match it for her,did I mention trail repairs,learning why some people ride with the seat tilted
to one side. Basically you become a domestic servant to your wife when she wants to share the same passion.
All wives should take note of this and for one time in your marriage unload your man's bike from the car rack,fix his flat , adjust his brakes or chain tension.
Is this your wife??

Tell her to lose the reflectors.

#8 ·
makachut said:
My wife is totally different. I do end up doing the trail fixes, but I really don't mind as I'm just excited that we get to share something that we both enjoy. She encourages my "guys only" rides. She is happy to help load and unload the rack, pump up her own tires, and anything else that she can do to get us on or off the trail more quickly. She also has an incredible knack for remembering things that I forget easily (sunglasses, shoes, etc) and there have been more than a few times where I started to pull back into the driveway to get something that she had already tossed in the backseat.

When she rides with me on the trail I tend to go a bit slower. She's also not up to "epic" distances, but I enjoy the time with her. When she rides with me the scenery is vastly improved and it's a lot more fun to clean up together after a ride than it is solo. It is a little creepy when we're in the bike shop and she holds up a pair of men's biker shorts and gives me a devilish smile and says "that's what I'm talking about," but honestly that is a small price to pay to have such a supportive spouse.

As for this sport being a pain in the wallet, I've found it to be expensive to get into, but once past the initial costs it is very cheap to maintain. This of course assumes that every year you don't need the latest and greatest bike to enjoy your time on the trails. My wife's bike is pretty new (2007 model year) but mine is a 2001 by comparison and the only thing I've really had to purchase was consumables (tires, lube, etc). The way I figure it a hobby like golf is vastly more expensive due to the associated ongoing costs.

#9 ·
nmyeti said:
My wife is totally different. I do end up doing the trail fixes, but I really don't mind as I'm just excited that we get to share something that we both enjoy. She encourages my "guys only" rides. She is happy to help load and unload the rack, pump up her own tires, and anything else that she can do to get us on or off the trail more quickly. She also has an incredible knack for remembering things that I forget easily (sunglasses, shoes, etc) and there have been more than a few times where I started to pull back into the driveway to get something that she had already tossed in the backseat.

When she rides with me on the trail I tend to go a bit slower. She's also not up to "epic" distances, but I enjoy the time with her. When she rides with me the scenery is vastly improved and it's a lot more fun to clean up together after a ride than it is solo. It is a little creepy when we're in the bike shop and she holds up a pair of men's biker shorts and gives me a devilish smile and says "that's what I'm talking about," but honestly that is a small price to pay to have such a supportive spouse.

As for this sport being a pain in the wallet, I've found it to be expensive to get into, but once past the initial costs it is very cheap to maintain. This of course assumes that every year you don't need the latest and greatest bike to enjoy your time on the trails. My wife's bike is pretty new (2007 model year) but mine is a 2001 by comparison and the only thing I've really had to purchase was consumables (tires, lube, etc). The way I figure it a hobby like golf is vastly more expensive due to the associated ongoing costs.
Well said. I can't wait for the day when Monica can join me again. Thats how we first met, and I believe my oldest was conceived on the way to Moab, or was it Flagstaff, ...ummm second thought maybe Sedona:confused: ;)

There are just some things that 'The Bandoleros' can't provide:nono:

#10 ·
nmyeti said:

your wife is great ,any photo of your wife wearing lycra in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.