mtbr member
    Aug 2007

A few questions about White Mesa trail

Hi

I will be passing New Mexico soon on my way to Utah and wanted to know if it would be a good idea to try riding the White Mesa trail. Why did I select this one? I have not found a lot of information about it but the photos I have seen looked nice. It does not have to be the best trail. Looking for something to break up the trip. It appears to be along my planned route. Not too far out of the way.

Schedules did not line up well this year, so I will be traveling alone. Is White Mesa the type of trail to try riding alone on a weekend? Too technical to ride alone or as long as you stay within your limits you will be ok? Are updated trail conditions maintained anywhere? Is there some other trail in the area which would be a better choice?

Thank you.

Single Speed Junkie
    WM is a really cool trail especially if you have never been out there before.

Would say that it can be ridden solo with out too much difficulty. It really is a simple trail to follow, just keep thinking stay on the single track except for a short section on the back side.

Would suggest if you have the option avoid the heat of the day out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I rode it by myself and had no problems there are maps everywhere and it is intuitive when there is not a map in sight.
    Last edited by greg de taos; 08-16-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

off to ride
    Jun 2008
    check the video out at the bottom of this thread... it's pretty cool.

another fun ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. I watched the video in the other thread. It looked great.

banned
    You hale from Plano, I used to live in Ennis, TX.

mtbr member
    I've ridden WM solo a few times during the winter months. It was pretty smooth trail outside of a couple of nasty descents. I remember there being some warning signs suggesting you walk your bike in those sections.

Really a fun trail and different than anything in Plano (one of my best friends lives there). Views are stellar. Total time to do the loop is somewhere around 2 hours depending on your conditioning. You can always do a few loops to extend the ride taking some different paths each time.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Great Ride

I ride it a couple times a month, allways by myself. Stay within your limits and you should be fine. The only real pucker factor for me is the steep descent between 4 and 6 past the powerlines and down to the road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How did they know I was from Plano? It took a minute before I remembered it was displayed in my profile.

I hope White Mesa is a lot different than Plano. It would be a bit of a let down to travel so far to see the same stuff that is here.

Thanks again for the responses.

Bandolero

You want different?

Quote Originally Posted by myuserhame2
    How did they know I was from Plano? It took a minute before I remembered it was displayed in my profile.

I hope White Mesa is a lot different than Plano. It would be a bit of a let down to travel so far to see the same stuff that is here.

If you want different than TX, then take the Tiejeras/Sandia Crest exit off of I40. Head up to Sandia Peak and stop at Doc Long or Tree Springs. Take the trails from there up. That's probably a little bit different than TX. That can be done in 2-3 hours, depending on how high you climb.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    He said 'different' not 'deadly'

Bandolero

Tx!=nm?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    He said 'different' not 'deadly'
    Are you saying that a liesurely after work jaunt in the woods in NM isn't of the same caliber as Plano riding?

There's not even any cliffs off of Doc Long/Tree Springs. Just a few steep hill sides.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    If you want different than TX, then take the Tiejeras/Sandia Crest exit off of I40. Head up to Sandia Peak and stop at Doc Long or Tree Springs. Take the trails from there up. That's probably a little bit different than TX. That can be done in 2-3 hours, depending on how high you climb.

The east mtn trails (especially Cedro and Otero) are actually quite similar to some of the trails in Austin, minus the elevation gain. Lots of chunky, ledgy, decomposing granite.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by myuserhame2

LOL!!!

the Foothills trail is far more technical & interesting than anything in DFW...

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.