Thread: Faulty Bear

Sublime Absurdity

Faulty Bear

I was out on Faulty around 8pm and came upon a pretty large bear in the trail. I think he had just heard me coming because he was twisted around facing me and up on his hind legs. Naturally, he lumbered off right way, but I'm not too proud to admit that I waited a while before continuing on and when I did, I started singing out loud. He (?) was pretty scraggly looking and did I mention large? The area on Faulty was maybe 1/4 mile from Cienega heading towards Armijo near the stair step drops.

Soon after I crossed Cienega, I managed to stack and got my chain stuck in the depths of my hub. Took me about 20 minutes to get it out as darkness came on and my throat was getting hoarse from singing. Luckily, it was all screaming fast downhill from there...

Anyway, not fearmongering, just a heads up to be aware...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    That is pretty cool...I keep running into & over rattle snakes...no bears...

Bandolero

Is it really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    I was out on Faulty around 8pm and came upon a pretty large bear in the trail. Soon after I crossed Cienega, I managed to stack and got my chain stuck in the depths of my hub. Took me about 20 minutes to get it out as darkness came on and my throat was getting hoarse from singing. Luckily, it was all screaming fast downhill from there...

Anyway, not fearmongering, just a heads up to be aware...
    The thought of coming across you in the impending darkness is scary.

Hearing you singing would be intimidating.

Now I have the thought that you were singing something from Barry Manilow or the Bee Gees.... Which positively frightens me.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Now I have the thought that you were singing something from Barry Manilow or the Bee Gees.... Which positively frightens me.
    Considering that I regressed from the new Mars Volta back into my Mastodon phase, I was proabably singing this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKw2s...eature=related

banned
    Too funny!

Syrenne!
    Damn! I never get to see bears when I'm out riding! I wanna see 'em! You're too lucky....
    Go huck yourself.

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by rkopelov
    Damn! I never get to see bears when I'm out riding! I wanna see 'em! You're too lucky....
    may you get what you want and want what you get
    Attached Images Attached Images

7MGTE
    Well no bears last night but sure was a sweet ride! Thanks for showing me around last night that loop was fun! Do you mind if I bring a few more with me next time? I know Bryan, Bruce, Andy, Jose and Ramon would like to hit that loop as well.

Thanks again

Sublime Absurdity
    Good times Ricky . Thanks for schooling me on my backyard loop - not only can you go big, but you can climb like a fricking goat over that techy stuff. I'm always happy to show anyone around on sandia - good to know lots of loops since it is the only east mtn spot open. Maybe one of your bros is as slow as me?

7MGTE
    Good times Ricky . Thanks for schooling me on my backyard loop - not only can you go big, but you can climb like a fricking goat over that techy stuff. I'm always happy to show anyone around on sandia - good to know lots of loops since it is the only east mtn spot open. Maybe one of your bros is as slow as me?
    Slow hardly man You were just taking it easy on the rookie is what I think.

Not really going big yet but trying. I need a better helmet and prob going to get a pressure suit as well for some of the real big stuff.

Bandolero

o'rly?

Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Slow hardly man You were just taking it easy on the rookie is what I think.

Not really going big yet but trying. I need a better helmet and prob going to get a pressure suit as well for some of the real big stuff.
    Yeah, supramk388, I've noticed you've been pretty reserved in your riding:

You really need to relax and go with the flow:

It's obvious that the lack of a helmet has been the thing holding you back:
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Sublime Absurdity
    Ran into my second bear of the season last night at the ski area. I was bombing down around 7pm, trying to make good time because the rain was coming in. When I came down towards the 1st major trail intersection, there was a grown bear right in my way.

Its back was all blond fur and the front was darker brown. He/she didn't see me at first, and when it did, it started to pace around in a circle. I raised my bike up over my head and roared - the bear was unimpressed. I slowly backed up the trail I had come down and it just kept circling right in my fricking way, occasionally looking up at me as if to say "get in range - you look tasty." This went on for a few minutes and I got the feeling he wasn't in the mood to go anwhere.

I eventually just backtracked a bit and rode down the mountainside through the thick grass until I picked up the trail again - well below where the bear was.

Every bear I have run into before (two others since living here) has just run away as soon as they were aware of my presence and others have relayed similar experiences. I used to think - oh cool, I live in a place where I can run into bears on the trail. Now it is more like - oh man, I might get eaten one day.

All things considered, not a bad way to go, but I'd prefer to put it off a while...

banned
    I raised my bike up over my head and roared
    Sorry, but those who know you understand that you are one of the most non confrontational people on this planet. That said, the picture in my head of you doing this is kinda funny

He probably understood this about you too...hence his lack of motivation.

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Sorry, but those who know you understand that you are one of the most non confrontational people on this planet. That said, the picture in my head of you doing this is kinda funny

He probably understood this about you too...hence his lack of motivation.
    Are you trying to politely say that I am a whimp? I'll have you know that I used to be in a Death Metal band. Oops. I guess that seals it. You're probably right, Mr. Bear knew I'm a puss...

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Yeah, supramk388, I've noticed you've been pretty reserved in your riding:
    You really need to relax and go with the flow:
    It's obvious that the lack of a helmet has been the thing holding you back:
    Thanks Bruce but I just got lucky that day

Always learning bro

banned
    Are you trying to politely say that I am a whimp? I'll have you know that I used to be in a Death Metal band. Oops. I guess that seals it. You're probably right, Mr. Bear knew I'm a puss...

I thought about that after I wrote it. You 'prefer' not engage in violence, not that you wouldn't. The fact that you attempted to stand your ground proves that you are NO wuss. Not sure I would have done the same thing.

I have encountered a bear on NC during a brilliant run (by myself) with the same scenario. He/She looked at me and kept on foraging paying me no mind. I really did not know what to do, he seemed content. However, I was on a 42# bike and had no intention on pedaling back uphill, on a DH run. He stayed right in the middle of the trail for a good 60 sec. and I patiently waited for him/her to move on. LSS...I did not have the will to instigate anything at all

Matter of fact this bear had similar characteristics with the pretty brown fleece. It was lovely and frightening all at once

mtbr member
    My wife was up at Sandia yesterday afternoon and saw what has to be the same bear. She saw it at the top of the mountain along the service road that runs between the parking area and the top of the lifts.

There were several people on foot and of course a couple of dumb guys who kept trying to get closer. She watched for a minute and then continued her descent since the bear wasn't in the way.

Sounds like the bear is getting used to people.

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I thought about that after I wrote it.
    Oh no worries bryan, I just used it as an excuse to be all cool and self-depricating. Of course my bro Ricky upstaged me at that

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW
    Sounds like the bear is getting used to people.
    Yeah, maybe he wanted to eat a hand out, not my hand. I am thinking about getting an airhorn or something to scare the bear next time. Or maybe some external speakers for my mp3 player - these vocals should do the trick...

Real Estate Guru
    I saw a bear this morning at the king of the MTN just above the pond. He just watched me go by. Same bear that I saw 2 weeks ago just below the duck pond. Last time he jumped on a tree about 5 feet away from the trail and watched me go by. Just be carefull, I only worry about seeing the bears mom..