mtbr member
    Nov 2007

farmington nm vs twin falls id

I have a chance to move to either place, and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts of the local mountain bike trails, length of season, overall experience in either place and would be willing to share.
    cheers

Airborne Flight Crew
    Replied in the original post, but will follow up here just a bit, I'm sure more will chime in...

Farmington is not my favorite place; industrial, not a lot of culture, not a lot to do other than work (My 2 cents anyhow, heh). The riding THERE is not bad - the Alien Trail in Aztec is cool, but can get a bit boring if its all you ride. The "glade" or Kinsey's Ridge is good local ride, with a few options for loops and miles. You can ride these almost year-round. They're not super technical or difficult, and not a lot of elevation, but that type of riding is not far away.

Outside Farmington, you have Durango, about an hour away - with some true world class riding, good as you'll find anywhere, especially the high country rides. Trail difficulty of all levels from pure XC to ridiculous DH. You're not far from Phil's world in Cortez, which is a blast to ride, and seems to be ever expanding as of late. There's also Sand Canyon near Cortez, where you can ride amongst various indian ruins. If you're really adventurous, you can head to place called Barker Dome. Some primitive trails on very interesting geology. Its a great way to keep things fresh.

Further out; Telluride in Colorado has some pretty epic riding, a growing bike park with a free gondola to get you to the top. You're 4-5 hours from Flag/Sedona, maybe 5 from Moab, and you can always head up towards Pueblo Co.

OR - you're just a few hours from Albuquerque, Taos, Santa Fe - all with world class riding opportunities (and more bike parks).

I lived in Durango for almost 5 years. In the winter when things were snowed in, I'd drive south first to Farmington to ride. Sometimes there would be snow so then I'd drive all the way down to ABQ and hit the winter riding opportunities here. Sort of a haul but worth it (especially if you're the type that picks a place to live based on riding!)

Last Feb, we decided we couldn't take the snow any longer and moved here. The opportunities for riding are pretty darned good, and you can almost always drive to a rideable place at any time of the year. Not sure TF offers so much riding...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    If I was choosing between the two I'd be packing my bags for Idaho. TF is close to the sawtooth national forest and the Tetons. Lots of great riding in that area.

mtbr member
    Granted, it does look a bit industrial around here, but that is what keeps the economy going here - Natural Gas. However, the trails here are great and Durango trails are less than an hour away. As far as culture, Mr. Hazard just didn't look hard enough!

Alien Run is a great ride if you like to get a little techy, and Mountain View (across the canyon) is perfect for working on your climbing ability. Barker Dome is well hidden, but quite the adventure along with Pinion Mesa - a travel through some of the badlands. Kinsey's Ridge (Road Apple Rally) offers well over 30 miles of trails to navigate through the Glade. Both Alien and Road Apple have yearly races in May and October respectively if you feel so inclined to race. Moab is just a few hours away, and on your way there, you can stop in Cortez and give Phil's World a try as well. This trail complex is HUGE, with something for everyone. We have lots of great riding out here, and shouldn't be missed.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are you thinking of Idaho Falls? TF isn't that close to the Tetons. It is 1:30ish from Boise which has great riding.

To the OP: Farmington has close proximity to Durango and Cortez. Abq is AWESOME--honestly there is no other place I'd rather be. But it's 3 hrs from Farmington. TF is close (1.5 hrs) to Sun Valley and Boise--so you have winter and summer playgrounds.

I don't have negative views of either place. That said, I wouldn't 'love' living in either Farmington or Twin Falls, but both are close to great places, so just plan on getting out and enjoying the surrounding areas!