mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Elephant Butte Area Mtn Biking?

I spend a fair amount of weekends at the lake during the summer and was wondering if there was any decent mtn biking trails within a reasonable distance? I haven't really seen anything online....

Sure would be nice to hit a trail in the AM go back to camp for a swim/beer right after....

The Weatherman
    Check out: Trail Guide - Socorro Fat Tire Trail Guide

I only have experience riding at Bosque del Apache, which are just easy gravel roads around the wildlife refuge. Good riding for family outings, but not anything spectacular. Unless you just want a relaxing spin while bird-watching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the link... maybe something to ride on the drive down to the lake I know theres a mountain by monticello which is only about 25 miles from the butte I was hoping somebody knew of a nice ride up there maybe... oh well

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There are some really cool single track up there. I used to live there a couple of years ago and I tried to maintain them the best I could. The last time I was up there they were a little washed out and over grown.

If you want to check them out, drive out east past the damn, towards Engle. You will drop into a little canyon. The road climbs back out of the canyon and just as you reach the top of the hill there is a little jeep road to the right. It is right before the left had turn into the little subdivision they have up there. Go to the very top of the nearest little peak and walk around until you find the trail. The trail drops back into the canyon and climbs back out after you hit the washout. The whole loop is about 9 miles, all single track, mostly XC stuff. You can also do various jeep road connector loops. I used to love riding it.

Check this out: by at Garmin Connect - Details

I think I started from a different location on this ride. There are multiple access points. The one above is the easiest to find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thats exactly what I was looking for! I am going to try and find these trails my next trip down there....

The garmin link didn't work for me though it says I don't have permission? Maybe you need to make it public?

Thanks for tip... I'll have to post the trail condition if I find them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was just searching for the same thing... I found this:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/doc...idereduced.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Headed down there next weekend. Any more beta on trails down in this area? I can't get the garmin links to work. Thanks

Resident Gear Head
    I might also be down there for labor day weekend, would like to see that singletrack link but it's not working (just saw the thread date, from 2012....)
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

I ride with tools
    I did a nice ride east of T or C / Williamsburg about 10 years ago. It was on Ted Turners' Armendares Ranch. The former caretaker was a mountain biker and had connected and maintained some nice trails, maybe 10 miles worth. You could PM Smokin' Ray, he led the ride for us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Jim. Dont think I'll be able to get over that way. My friend did send me this link though: Xterra Dread Mon MTB in Truth Or Consequences, NM | MapMyRide

He said he rode an xterra race down there and it was pretty fun.