Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Elephant Butte Area Mtn Biking?

I spend a fair amount of weekends at the lake during the summer and was wondering if there was any decent mtn biking trails within a reasonable distance? I haven't really seen anything online....

Sure would be nice to hit a trail in the AM go back to camp for a swim/beer right after....

The Weatherman
    Check out: Trail Guide - Socorro Fat Tire Trail Guide

I only have experience riding at Bosque del Apache, which are just easy gravel roads around the wildlife refuge. Good riding for family outings, but not anything spectacular. Unless you just want a relaxing spin while bird-watching.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the link... maybe something to ride on the drive down to the lake I know theres a mountain by monticello which is only about 25 miles from the butte I was hoping somebody knew of a nice ride up there maybe... oh well

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There are some really cool single track up there. I used to live there a couple of years ago and I tried to maintain them the best I could. The last time I was up there they were a little washed out and over grown.

If you want to check them out, drive out east past the damn, towards Engle. You will drop into a little canyon. The road climbs back out of the canyon and just as you reach the top of the hill there is a little jeep road to the right. It is right before the left had turn into the little subdivision they have up there. Go to the very top of the nearest little peak and walk around until you find the trail. The trail drops back into the canyon and climbs back out after you hit the washout. The whole loop is about 9 miles, all single track, mostly XC stuff. You can also do various jeep road connector loops. I used to love riding it.

Check this out: by at Garmin Connect - Details

I think I started from a different location on this ride. There are multiple access points. The one above is the easiest to find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thats exactly what I was looking for! I am going to try and find these trails my next trip down there....

The garmin link didn't work for me though it says I don't have permission? Maybe you need to make it public?

Thanks for tip... I'll have to post the trail condition if I find them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was just searching for the same thing... I found this:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/doc...idereduced.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Headed down there next weekend. Any more beta on trails down in this area? I can't get the garmin links to work. Thanks

Resident Gear Head
    I might also be down there for labor day weekend, would like to see that singletrack link but it's not working (just saw the thread date, from 2012....)
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

I ride with tools
    I did a nice ride east of T or C / Williamsburg about 10 years ago. It was on Ted Turners' Armendares Ranch. The former caretaker was a mountain biker and had connected and maintained some nice trails, maybe 10 miles worth. You could PM Smokin' Ray, he led the ride for us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks Jim. Dont think I'll be able to get over that way. My friend did send me this link though: Xterra Dread Mon MTB in Truth Or Consequences, NM | MapMyRide

He said he rode an xterra race down there and it was pretty fun.

B.Ike
    Bump... any current trail suggestions? singletrack? never been but its only an hour or so away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

TorC trail

After scouting the area in my trials bike, I found the (or at least a) trailhead. .

33.1276120 N
    -107.1468690 W

Trailhead marked by a pyramid of rocks. Trail itself is well marked.

1/2 Mile highway sign warns of tight switchbacks for final descent into canyon.
    Last edited by raggedyedge; 01-23-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for posting. Is this in fact Armendaris Sidewinder?

"Sidewinder Trail. Exit I-25 at T or C, take Main through town, turn east on 51 toward Engel. Just after MM8, turn right onto dirt road and follow to the end. A nice 9-mile singletrack on Armendaris Ranch, owned by Ted Turner."

Outdoors Mania

Here is another trail that also seems to be known as Sidewinder based on local hikers, etc. posting about it:

Sidewinder Mountain Bike Trail, Truth or Consequences, New Mexico

Would appreciate more info so I can update the description.

I've scoped all of the Xterra route with GE and ridden some of it. No singletrack that I can find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am not familiar with the area. I was seeking the trail that gbell614 mentioned. I am pretty sure I found it.

MM 8 jeep trail (easy to miss) will take you to the trail head of you do not take a wrong turn. I am going to park my motor home on a jeep trail around MM 7. From this campsite there is a rocky two track climb up to the trail head....or just take the pavement to MM 8.

Like I said the trail, once you find it, is very well marked. Someone put an enormous amount of effort.

I did not see any "no trespassing" signs, so I will proceed to enjoy the single track.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Pretty sure these posts and expired links all point to the Armendaris Sidewinder, so thanks for providing a lat/long position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I was pretty surprised to see updates to this thread after so long, I saw it some time ago and have been hunting on google earth for the trails. I live in T or C, and have been scouting out the area described by Champaign Hills(Armendariz Road), and see some promising jeep trails, but can't quite find the trailhead described. I'm going to go further out towards exit 8 to find the SideWinder trail this weekend sometime. Outdoors Mania Here's a cached copy of the El Paso times directions to trails in the region.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    For fun(and so we have access to it, since I've been reading this thread for literally years), here's the whole text of the EPT article, including directions to sidewinder:

Franklin Mountains State Park
    El Paso, TX
    (915) 566-6441
    Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
    Take Interstate 10 West, then take the Canutillo/Trans-Mountain exit, turn toward the mountains, and the park is located 3.8 miles east of Interstate 10; or take Loop 375/TransMountain Road going west up and over the scenic Franklins and find the park entrance 3 miles down from the road's summit.
    Cross-country style terrain. Many trails are available for both beginners and more experienced cyclists.

Redd Road Trails
    El Paso, TX
    Take I-10 West, exit on Redd Road. Turn right on Redd Road and follow it till the road ends. Park on the shoulder, not on the median (or you will get a ticket.)
    Easy access to all terrain trails. Very adventurous riding -- a good mix of cross country and technical areas to choose from. A popular spot, especially Thursday evenings.

Roughrider Canyon Free Ride Park
    El Paso, TX
    (915) 857-9180
    New 'skinny' pill takes country by storm.
    Take I-10 East to Horizon exit. On Horizon Boulevard, go left and follow road till it ends. Take a left once Horizon Boulevard ends. Take dirt road for two miles (past Red Mountain), then go right to the gate under the windmills.
    Cross country, freeride and downhill trails. There are two downhill race courses and some freeride trails with jumps and drops. The expert trail is called the Smokin' Cacti Trail. The sport downhill trail is called El Bandito. The cross country course is called the Cactus Mine Trail.

Gilbert's Trail
    El Paso, TX
    I-10 to Resler exit. Turn right on Redd and continue till dead end.
    Trail of all skill levels, uphill on way out, downhill on way back

Arroyo Park
    El Paso, TX
    I-10 to Mesa (downtown) exit. Take Robinson east to the Y of Virginia; merge right and go downhill to El Paso Tennis Club and park, trail starts at the end of the fence on the left-hand side.
    2-mile beginner loop for mountain bikers; smooth with jumps.

Monks Trail
    El Paso, TX
    Located at far end of Arroyo Park. To get to Arroyo Park: take I-10 to Mesa (downtown) exit. Take Robinson east to the Y of Virginia.
    Trails for every skill level, Jeep roads and single-track.

Big Bend National Park
    Headquarters is located 70 miles south of Marathon, TX and 108 miles from Alpine, TX via Hwy. 118.
    (432) 477-225
    Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

How to get there: Three paved roads lead to the park: U.S. 385 from Marathon, TX to the north entrance; State Route 118 from Alpine, TX to the west entrance; and Ranch Road 170 from Presidio to Study Butte, and then State Route 118 to the west entrance.

Trails: Myriad road and cross-country trails of all ability levels. 100 miles of paved roads, 160 miles of backcountry dirt roads. The park offers 17 miles of trails of levels 1-3 and 30 miles of gravel road, according to the the Texas Parks and Wildlife Web site.The River Road-FM 170 parallels the Rio Grande with 25 miles of paved road which is ideal for street bikes. The River Road also hosts the trailheads to a 19 mile multi-use trail system, according to the site.

Tortugas (A) Mountain Trails
    Las Cruces, NM
    http://www.zianet.com/bikefam
    Take I-25 north or south to the University exit (Exit 1) in Las Cruces. Turn east on University Avenue and follow it until A Mountain is directly to your right. Once you reach the north side of the mountain, there are two areas where cars can be parked, the most popular being the second one as you go east.
    Treacherous, rocky trails that requires expertise in many spots. A 10-minute bike ride from NMSU campus.

Sierra Vista Trail
    Las Cruces, NM
    http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/mtb-rides.html
    Take I-25 to the University exit (Exit 1). Turn east toward the Organ Mountains and follow the paved road. Take a right onto Soledad Canyon Road, then take a left turn at a fire station. About 3 miles after the fire station, there will be a big wooden BLM trail sign on the right-hand side of the road indicating where the trail begins.
    The Bureau of Land Management trail is for intermediate to advanced cross-country bikers. The best direction to take is from the south to north and then back.

Robledo Trail
    Las Cruces, NM
    I-10 to the Picacho exit and go east on Picacho. When you see Guacamole's restaurant on your right, Shalem Colony Trail is on your left. Follow Shalem Colony for a few miles until you pass 2 tall water tanks on a hill on your left side. Soon after the water tanks, there is a road on left called Rocky Acres Trail. Follow Rocky Acres, keeping to your left. Follow the dirt road until it opens into a bowl-shaped area. If you don't have a 4x4, park here. Start the ride by going a few yards up the hill to the south and turn right to locate the two, low water tanks. Keep on the road past the tanks while it takes a sharp turn to the right and starts climbing the hill. Part-way up the hill the single track will appear on your right. Follow the single track until it hits a road and climb to the top of the hill. On your left you will see a BLM sign that sits at the head of the trail. The rest of the trail is singletrack. (In Las Cruces, take Valley to Shalem Colony Trail and turn left, cross the river and turn right on Rocky Acres Trail)
    6.5-mile (one way) trails that is technical and demands expertise

Dona Ana Trails
    Las Cruces, NM
    I-25 north to the Doa Ana exit, turn right at the stop sign, and take the first left. After a short paved section, this turns into a dirt road. Follow the road for about 3 miles and a parking area will be to the left.
    Fast, easy trail until it winds its way up the hills, when intermediate and advanced skills are required.

Sidewinder Trail
    Truth or Consequences, NM
    Exit I-25 at T or C, take Main through town, turn east on 51 toward Engel. Just after MM8, turn right onto dirt road and follow to the end.
    A nice 9-mile singletrack on Armendaris Ranch, owned by Ted Turner.

Purple Heart Memorial Highway
    El Paso, TX
    Best entry point is at Railroad Drive and TransMountain Road. Then ride from Railroad to Montana along the Purple Heart Highway.
    From Railroad to Montana and back is 22.5 miles. Nice broad bike path, generally clean, not much glass. Traffic light in mornings. Flat with four overpasses to keep your interest. All desert ride, bring water.

Railroad Drive
    El Paso, TX
    Exit from Highway 54. Railroad runs from Fred Wilson Drive to TransMountain Road in Northeast El Paso.
    Marked for cycling flat and straight. Not an exciting ride, but one leg of a great loop combined with Purple Heart and Montana. Watch out for broken glass and bring a flat kit.

Scenic Drive
    El Paso, TX
    Park at park on St. Vrain and Rim Road. Follow Rim Road to Scenic Drive down to Alabama. Then you can ride from Alabama to top of McKelligon Canyon.
    Steady continuous climb on Rim Road side. If you go up Scenic from Alabama, steady start with climb intensifying as you approach top of Scenic.

McKelligon Canyon Park
    El Paso, TX
    Enter park off Alabama Drive. Follow McKelligon Canyon road into canyon park.
    Paved road with tough start and finish, but steady in the middle.

TransMountain Road
    El Paso, TX
    On West Side you can park at Northwest campus of El Paso Community College. On Northeast side, you can find parking by the Wilderness Park Museum. Approximately 10 miles from one side of mountain to other.
    Marked bike path along road. Northeast side is shorter, but steeper. Northwest side is longer, but more of a grinding ride.

Artcraft Road
    El Paso, TX
    Park at Strahan under Artcraft (under the overpass). You can take bike path which follows along Artcraft from Rio Grande to New Mexico-Texas border.
    Beginner ride on road. Easy ride, suitable for children.

Columbus Highway
    El Paso to Columbus
    From Santa Teresa Airport, ride Artcraft out. Artcraft turns into Santa Teresa International Beltway. From beltway, then turn right onto Columbus Highway. Highway goes Columbus, N.M.
    Very isolated ride, best done with group. Flat, straight ride in desolate desert, bring water and flat kit.

Rio Grande River Park and Trail System
    El Paso, TX
    Runs along a band of the Rio Grande beginning near Country Club Road, stretching 4.6 miles into Canutillo.
    Easy ride, suitable for children.

Santa Teresa Border Station
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Start on Artcraft, head west till Artcraft turns into Santa Teresa Beltway at New Mexico border. Continue to Santa Teresa Border Station and Mexican border.
    Fairly level ride with one challenging climb just past McNutt.

The Rollers (frontage road)
    El Paso, TX
    One entry point is at industrial park near Northwestern Drive. Another good entry point is at Kohls on Redd Road. Get on frontage road and head west to Anthony.
    Ungraded road, which follows the natural landscape as it rolls through desert gullies and ravines and makes for a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Franklin Mountains State Park
    El Paso, TX
    (915) 566-6441
    Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
    Take Interstate 10 West, then take the Canutillo/Trans-Mountain exit, turn toward the mountains, and the park is located 3.8 miles east of Interstate 10; or take Loop 375/TransMountain Road going west up and over the scenic Franklins and find the park entrance 3 miles down from the road's summit.
    Cross-country style terrain. Many trails are available for both beginners and more experienced cyclists.

Redd Road Trails
    El Paso, TX
    Take I-10 West, exit on Redd Road. Turn right on Redd Road and follow it till the road ends. Park on the shoulder, not on the median (or you will get a ticket.)
    Easy access to all terrain trails. Very adventurous riding -- a good mix of cross country and technical areas to choose from. A popular spot, especially Thursday evenings.

Roughrider Canyon Free Ride Park
    El Paso, TX
    (915) 857-9180
    New 'skinny' pill takes country by storm.
    Take I-10 East to Horizon exit. On Horizon Boulevard, go left and follow road till it ends. Take a left once Horizon Boulevard ends. Take dirt road for two miles (past Red Mountain), then go right to the gate under the windmills.
    Cross country, freeride and downhill trails. There are two downhill race courses and some freeride trails with jumps and drops. The expert trail is called the Smokin' Cacti Trail. The sport downhill trail is called El Bandito. The cross country course is called the Cactus Mine Trail.

Gilbert's Trail
    El Paso, TX
    I-10 to Resler exit. Turn right on Redd and continue till dead end.
    Trail of all skill levels, uphill on way out, downhill on way back

Arroyo Park
    El Paso, TX
    I-10 to Mesa (downtown) exit. Take Robinson east to the Y of Virginia; merge right and go downhill to El Paso Tennis Club and park, trail starts at the end of the fence on the left-hand side.
    2-mile beginner loop for mountain bikers; smooth with jumps.

Monks Trail
    El Paso, TX
    Located at far end of Arroyo Park. To get to Arroyo Park: take I-10 to Mesa (downtown) exit. Take Robinson east to the Y of Virginia.
    Trails for every skill level, Jeep roads and single-track.

Big Bend National Park
    Headquarters is located 70 miles south of Marathon, TX and 108 miles from Alpine, TX via Hwy. 118.
    (432) 477-225
    Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

How to get there: Three paved roads lead to the park: U.S. 385 from Marathon, TX to the north entrance; State Route 118 from Alpine, TX to the west entrance; and Ranch Road 170 from Presidio to Study Butte, and then State Route 118 to the west entrance.

Trails: Myriad road and cross-country trails of all ability levels. 100 miles of paved roads, 160 miles of backcountry dirt roads. The park offers 17 miles of trails of levels 1-3 and 30 miles of gravel road, according to the the Texas Parks and Wildlife Web site.The River Road-FM 170 parallels the Rio Grande with 25 miles of paved road which is ideal for street bikes. The River Road also hosts the trailheads to a 19 mile multi-use trail system, according to the site.

Tortugas (A) Mountain Trails
    Las Cruces, NM
    Take I-25 north or south to the University exit (Exit 1) in Las Cruces. Turn east on University Avenue and follow it until A Mountain is directly to your right. Once you reach the north side of the mountain, there are two areas where cars can be parked, the most popular being the second one as you go east.
    Treacherous, rocky trails that requires expertise in many spots. A 10-minute bike ride from NMSU campus.

Sierra Vista Trail
    Las Cruces, NM
    http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/mtb-rides.html
    Take I-25 to the University exit (Exit 1). Turn east toward the Organ Mountains and follow the paved road. Take a right onto Soledad Canyon Road, then take a left turn at a fire station. About 3 miles after the fire station, there will be a big wooden BLM trail sign on the right-hand side of the road indicating where the trail begins.
    The Bureau of Land Management trail is for intermediate to advanced cross-country bikers. The best direction to take is from the south to north and then back.

Robledo Trail
    Las Cruces, NM
    I-10 to the Picacho exit and go east on Picacho. When you see Guacamole's restaurant on your right, Shalem Colony Trail is on your left. Follow Shalem Colony for a few miles until you pass 2 tall water tanks on a hill on your left side. Soon after the water tanks, there is a road on left called Rocky Acres Trail. Follow Rocky Acres, keeping to your left. Follow the dirt road until it opens into a bowl-shaped area. If you don't have a 4x4, park here. Start the ride by going a few yards up the hill to the south and turn right to locate the two, low water tanks. Keep on the road past the tanks while it takes a sharp turn to the right and starts climbing the hill. Part-way up the hill the single track will appear on your right. Follow the single track until it hits a road and climb to the top of the hill. On your left you will see a BLM sign that sits at the head of the trail. The rest of the trail is singletrack. (In Las Cruces, take Valley to Shalem Colony Trail and turn left, cross the river and turn right on Rocky Acres Trail)
    6.5-mile (one way) trails that is technical and demands expertise

Dona Ana Trails
    Las Cruces, NM
    I-25 north to the Doa Ana exit, turn right at the stop sign, and take the first left. After a short paved section, this turns into a dirt road. Follow the road for about 3 miles and a parking area will be to the left.
    Fast, easy trail until it winds its way up the hills, when intermediate and advanced skills are required.

Sidewinder Trail
    Truth or Consequences, NM
    Exit I-25 at T or C, take Main through town, turn east on 51 toward Engel. Just after MM8, turn right onto dirt road and follow to the end.
    A nice 9-mile singletrack on Armendaris Ranch, owned by Ted Turner.

Purple Heart Memorial Highway
    El Paso, TX
    Best entry point is at Railroad Drive and TransMountain Road. Then ride from Railroad to Montana along the Purple Heart Highway.
    From Railroad to Montana and back is 22.5 miles. Nice broad bike path, generally clean, not much glass. Traffic light in mornings. Flat with four overpasses to keep your interest. All desert ride, bring water.

Railroad Drive
    El Paso, TX
    Exit from Highway 54. Railroad runs from Fred Wilson Drive to TransMountain Road in Northeast El Paso.
    Marked for cycling flat and straight. Not an exciting ride, but one leg of a great loop combined with Purple Heart and Montana. Watch out for broken glass and bring a flat kit.

Scenic Drive
    El Paso, TX
    Park at park on St. Vrain and Rim Road. Follow Rim Road to Scenic Drive down to Alabama. Then you can ride from Alabama to top of McKelligon Canyon.
    Steady continuous climb on Rim Road side. If you go up Scenic from Alabama, steady start with climb intensifying as you approach top of Scenic.

McKelligon Canyon Park
    El Paso, TX
    Enter park off Alabama Drive. Follow McKelligon Canyon road into canyon park.
    Paved road with tough start and finish, but steady in the middle.

TransMountain Road
    El Paso, TX
    On West Side you can park at Northwest campus of El Paso Community College. On Northeast side, you can find parking by the Wilderness Park Museum. Approximately 10 miles from one side of mountain to other.
    Marked bike path along road. Northeast side is shorter, but steeper. Northwest side is longer, but more of a grinding ride.

Artcraft Road
    El Paso, TX
    Park at Strahan under Artcraft (under the overpass). You can take bike path which follows along Artcraft from Rio Grande to New Mexico-Texas border.
    Beginner ride on road. Easy ride, suitable for children.

Columbus Highway
    El Paso to Columbus
    From Santa Teresa Airport, ride Artcraft out. Artcraft turns into Santa Teresa International Beltway. From beltway, then turn right onto Columbus Highway. Highway goes Columbus, N.M.
    Very isolated ride, best done with group. Flat, straight ride in desolate desert, bring water and flat kit.

Rio Grande River Park and Trail System
    El Paso, TX
    Runs along a band of the Rio Grande beginning near Country Club Road, stretching 4.6 miles into Canutillo.
    Easy ride, suitable for children.

Santa Teresa Border Station
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Start on Artcraft, head west till Artcraft turns into Santa Teresa Beltway at New Mexico border. Continue to Santa Teresa Border Station and Mexican border.
    Fairly level ride with one challenging climb just past McNutt.

The Rollers (frontage road)
    El Paso, TX
    One entry point is at industrial park near Northwestern Drive. Another good entry point is at Kohls on Redd Road. Get on frontage road and head west to Anthony.
    Ungraded road, which follows the natural landscape as it rolls through desert gullies and ravines and makes for a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here is a video of the first part of the trail. Up until I tip over clipped in.

https://youtu.be/lxd2b4jbmtE

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Switchbacks

Another clip starting at the 1/2 Mile sign. Flailing and struggling to navigate the switchbacks. Next time I think I will change to platform pedals and drop my seat on the descent.

https://youtu.be/5wBCckGUVHw
    Last edited by raggedyedge; 02-13-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: 1/2 mile sign not into trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by raggedyedge View Post
    Here is a video of the first part of the trail. Up until I tip over clipped in.

https://youtu.be/lxd2b4jbmtE

Oh I watched this earlier today! Is this starting at the GPS point above? I was at MM7 I think, and that stuff is at MM8, so I was a bit to the west of it where all the jeep trails are. Did you GPS your ride?

If you end up down here often I'd love to go take a look with you! I'll be trying to wander it soon on my own, but a guide is very appreciated. (I just started mountain biking this year after a compound knee injury that made me stop skateboarding, I'm super happy to see single track nearby!)

https://youtu.be/wGkijsUoJCU here's a gopro hyperlapse I made earlier today of wandering around by MM7 looking for the trail. I was convinced that the quad/4x4 trail was it, but am happy to hear that it isn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hard to tell where that hyperlapse is at. Here is a video of the jeep trail from the campsite to the trail head. Probably as agonising to watch as ride. I will go gps track it today. I will head out around noon from the Dam Site RV Park. Anyone with no Valentine's day obligations is welcome to meet by the Dam Site Lodge at noon.

https://youtu.be/GLknst7n8Fc

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hard to tell where that hyperlapse is at. Here is a video of the jeep trail from the campsite to the trail head. Probably as agonising to watch as ride. I will go gps track it today. I will head out around noon from the Dam Site RV Park. Anyone with no Valentine's day obligations is welcome to meet by the Dam Site Lodge at noon.

Sounds good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

thanks so much again for showing me the trail! I had a great time! My video cut out right before the switchbacks, so I'll have to go take another in a day or so.

Elephant Butte Area Mtn Biking?-screen-shot-2016-02-14-3.03.17-pm.png
    for future reference's sake, here's a map of my ride. I'd provide a kml but google fit is an awful tracker, and every time it loses gps signal it assumes I am at my house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast