Thread: Earl Gage

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Earl Gage

Earl Gage is an 18 year-old Albuquerque cyclist who was well on his way to becoming one of the most ferocious, not to mention, best liked, road and mountain bike racers in the state of NM. A couple of weeks ago Earl was hit by a car while riding his bike, and sustained massive injuries. His condition remains serious enough that two weeks later he is still in Neuro-ICU, where improvement is measured in terms of blinks of the eye and squeezes of the hand.

Earl is not just another unfortunate bike rider that happened to get hit by a car. He is the product of the kind of demographics that make it virtually impossible for a teenager to embrace cycling as a lifestyle, especially at the elite level, rather than becoming a juvenile statistic. He's a very special kid, and a lot of what makes his situation unique is also making it especially difficult for his family, not only in the midst of this crisis, but also throughout what will certainly be a very long and arduous road to recovery.

There has already been a tremendous outpouring of emotional and financial support for Earl and his family from the bike racing community, and although I'm sure not everyone feels a particularly strong affiliation with that group, hopefully someone here might be inclined to pitch in and help a little brother out, and maybe spread the word regarding this most unfortunate situation along your own individual paths through life.

A surprising number of ways to contribute to this cause have sprouted in the social media, as well as, via a charitable account set up at Wells Fargo Bank. A very straightforward alternative is the brainchild of one of Earl's teenage racing buddies, the Earl Gage Recovery Fund.

Earl Gage Recovery Fund by Taylor Squillaci - GoFundMe

Thx for reading.
    Robert Cipoletti

Hey, wait up!
    Good words and thoughts Robert.

For anyone who does not know Earl, he is a great and promising young man. This is an important and significant opportunity for all seeing this to share their untapped charitable resources and help a local rider down get back up and rolling strong.

~dh~
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Please forgive me if this makes me sound obtuse or crass, but I'm not understanding from the links or write ups whether this young man's family is indigent or lacking in health insurance coverage or something similar. Again, to be clear, my comment is simply an appeal for more information, and should not be construed as a statement or value judgment. Thank you.

mtbr member
    It's my understanding that Earl was providing for his family and not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Willie, your concerns are valid, and your assumptions safe. Earl is well known to be very self conscious about his personal life, and the people that know him intimately are very respectful of that. The scarcity of what would seem to be even the most basic insight is therefore, on purpose. So it's understandable that not judging Earl or his family for their predicament will be increasingly difficult the further one is removed from the situation.

Personally, I think that the momentum associated with the charitable effort stems not only from personal friendships, but also a universal respect for those that have stepped up to assume responsibility for coordinating Earl's affairs, including his care, care for his family, as well as the fundraising.

It is also my understanding that Scott's remark is essentially correct.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Willie, your concerns are valid, and your assumptions safe. Earl is well known to be very self conscious about his personal life, and the people that know him intimately are very respectful of that. The scarcity of what would seem to be even the most basic insight is therefore, on purpose. So it's understandable that not judging Earl or his family for their predicament will be increasingly difficult the further one is removed from the situation.

Personally, I think that the momentum associated with the charitable effort stems not only from personal friendships, but also a universal respect for those that have stepped up to assume responsibility for coordinating Earl's affairs, including his care, care for his family, as well as the fundraising.

It is also my understanding that Scott's remark is essentially correct.
    Thank you. This makes sense and answers many questions.