mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Does anyone take the Bus to the foothills?

Not owning a car and not wanting to ride 10 miles in ABQ sprawl and smog to the trails, I was wondering if anyone knew which Bus line would take me to a Foothills trail head from UNM central area?
    Or does anyone wanna go ride? give me a call at 575 517 0858
    Thanks for any tips.
    "Show em how we do it in the 505, show up late and leave early!" -Pete

Bandolero

Verdamte Kinde...

Quote Originally Posted by The Sac
    Not owning a car and not wanting to ride 10 miles in ABQ sprawl and smog to the trails, I was wondering if anyone knew which Bus line would take me to a Foothills trail head from UNM central area?
    Maps, which you probably have.

You want #5 for North. #6 for South. #6 means you have to ride up to Indian School.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I always like to take the drainage channels.

I no longer live in ABQ, Rio Rancho now, but I used to always take a bike path from my house and then jump down in the channel just east of Winrock. You work your way up and can pop out on the Tramway bike path between Comanche and Montgomery. Then take a right for South Foothills, left for Elena whatever you feel like. Plus going back down into town in the ditches is a blast. Goathead season can suck and it is a bummer to see the things people throw in the ditch, but after a good gully washer things are all good again. The good thing about the channel as opposed to staying on the path is you don't have to stop for traffic at major crossings, and it is alot of fun coming back down and going up the sides of the channel.
    Last edited by Twindad; 08-27-2008 at 03:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Try riding!

Skip the drainage canals: from Louisiana to Tramway is a bike path. Let out just north of Indian School. I can ride from Constitution/Carlisle to the south foothills and back in about two hours without killing myself. Best thing about it is how warmed up you are on the trail.
    I recommend it.

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    Ride over to UNMH at Lomas and Yale. That bus will take you up Lomas Left on Carisle then all the way up Montgomery to the trail head. Well almost, but you can pick the North or South side of the foothills from there. If you have a student ID it's free(other wise its a buck). They have room for 3 bikes on the bus. Go do it! It's a fun ride.
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.