Thread: Dodging Bullets

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Dodging Bullets

Today (Sunday) I was out riding my bike on the BLM land north of Placitas when I heard some nearby gunfire. I stopped and got my whistle out of my pack gave a few blasts on the whistle to alert who ever it was that there was someone else in the area.

The place where I was is about 100 yards from a two track road. The road ends there and a single track trail continues up along an arroyo. I was headed down the trail towards the road.

At this point, I decide to take cover since I am not sure where this guy is and which direction he is shooting. And good thing I did. Next thing I know, the gunfire starts up again and bullets start whizzing by, over my head. I was pinned down for about 20 minutes. The guy would take about five or six shots then pause. I would blast on my whistle as loud as I could during the pauses.

Finally the gunfire stopped for a while and after blasting on the whistle for a while and screaming at him to stop shooting, I poked my head up and screamed at him to stop shooting.

He was only about 250 feet away. He had parked on the road, setup a target on the side of the trail and proceeded to shoot up the trail! Idiots should not be allowed to own guns!

mtbr member
    Its harder to buy pseudophed then a fire arm.

Did you ask him if he was part of a well regulated militia necessary to keep new mexico a free state?

Just dont ride over there any more he has every right to sip beer and blast the side of the mountain, as far as you right not to be shot at, thats not so important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just like anything else, people who do things irresponsibly ruin it for everybody.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Just like anything else, people who do things irresponsibly ruin it for everybody.
    I know.all them damn junkies keeping me from using heroin in a.responsible manner.

mtbr member
    Wow, that was close! Glad you are ok!!!!
    Sounds like you did all the right things to keep yourself safe.

mtbr member
    Incredibly stupid and dangerous behavior. But be careful about blaming the Bill of Rights; that's like blaming the first ammendment for Rush Limbaugh's mouth.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 02-10-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: sp

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Just dont ride over there any more he has every right to sip beer and blast the side of the mountain, as far as you right not to be shot at, thats not so important.
    This parcel of BLM land is about 6000 acres and is adjacent to about 600 acres of City of Albuquerque Open Space. I don't want to give up riding in this area due to one idiot.

Shooting up a hill side is fine. Shooting up a trail I am riding on is not fine.

I don't want to ban guns, I want to ban idiots!

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Glad to hear you are OK.

A similar thing happened to me some years back. When the guy ran out of ammo and was packing up, I approached him, explained what had happened, suggested he take a gun safety course and tell the instructor about what he had done while he was at it.

Of course he showered me with F-bombs, did the middle finger salute, explained that his father had taught him how to shoot, and how the only thing he was sorry about is that he hadn't gunned a f**got like me down because we anti-gun types were nothing more than a bunch of nation-ruining commies, etc., etc., etc.

A few years later the guy made it a point to come over to me in a public place and apologize profusely for his behavior. I had pretty much forgotten about it and I didn't even really remember what he looked like, so I was surprised to see him. He said after thinking about what I had said, and after having a couple of friends of his chastise him for what he had done, he did sign up for a firearms course. He said he was surprised by how much he learned. I thanked him for his apology and for being a responsible gun owner.

I didn't offer to go shooting with him, however.

I think some people might be surprised how many "commie f**gots" are gun owners and how many "red-neck extremists" have never actually operated a firearm in their lives. The world is funny like that sometimes.

I like this place

mtbr member
    I thibk we are all missing the most important part of the story, he had a whistle. That's awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I thibk we are all missing the most important part of the story, he had a whistle. That's awesome.
    I never go anywhere without my rape whistle.

Stranger danger!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would have asked him if he heard the whistle and if was out of ammo. If he said yes I would have proceeded to beat the living daylights out of him and then make sure his car was not going to get him out of there without a tow.

mtbr member
    I bet mars29 is gona pack heat from now on. Next time there wnt be a next time.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    It's good to remember that target shooters often wear hearing protection, and because of this they likely won't hear a whistle unless it's fog-horn strength.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I would have asked him if he heard the whistle and if was out of ammo. If he said yes I would have proceeded to beat the living daylights out of him and then make sure his car was not going to get him out of there without a tow.
    Attempting to beat people and destroy their possessions is never a good strategy for anything except perhaps for ending up unpleasantly surprised in the worst way possible. But that just may be one man's opinion.

I like this place

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bet mars29 is gona pack heat from now on.
    Why would you assume I was not packing heat?

Shooting back would not have been smart. Confronting stupidity with more stupidity could only result in uber stupidity.

What I should have been packing was ear plugs. Blasting on that whistle left my ears ringing for hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    Why would you assume I was not packing heat?

Shooting back would not have been smart. Confronting stupidity with more stupidity could only result in uber stupidity.

What I should have been packing was ear plugs. Blasting on that whistle left my ears ringing for hours.
    Dont shoot at him just near him. Any ways the dead.dude dont get to tell their side of the story. Shooting at somone who is shooting at you is what your supposed to do. How were you to know if he was a just another irresponsible gun owner or some.dude with a vedanta against mountain bikers. It was.in an are.where bikers have been targeted and harmed. You had every right to shoot back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    Today (Sunday) I was out riding my bike on the BLM land north of Placitas when I heard some nearby gunfire. I stopped and got my whistle out of my pack gave a few blasts on the whistle to alert who ever it was that there was someone else in the area.

The place where I was is about 100 yards from a two track road. The road ends there and a single track trail continues up along an arroyo. I was headed down the trail towards the road.

At this point, I decide to take cover since I am not sure where this guy is and which direction he is shooting. And good thing I did. Next thing I know, the gunfire starts up again and bullets start whizzing by, over my head. I was pinned down for about 20 minutes. The guy would take about five or six shots then pause. I would blast on my whistle as loud as I could during the pauses.

Finally the gunfire stopped for a while and after blasting on the whistle for a while and screaming at him to stop shooting, I poked my head up and screamed at him to stop shooting.

He was only about 250 feet away. He had parked on the road, setup a target on the side of the trail and proceeded to shoot up the trail! Idiots should not be allowed to own guns!
    Dude I was trying to hit your 29er...not you!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bet mars29 is gona pack heat from now on. Next time there wnt be a next time.
    I keep trying to lower bike, pack, and arse weight. Just how much do a whistle, AK-47, and banana mag weigh?

mtbr member
    If three of us ride together we could bring the whole motar set up. Barrel,plate, and 2 rounds

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bg2lk15 View Post
    I keep trying to lower bike, pack, and arse weight. Just how much do a whistle, AK-47, and banana mag weigh?
    Nothing compared to the weight of the fog horn and air tank. I am assume I will save some weight and leave behind the air compressor. But that means I only have one shot on the fog horn. But I am still going to have to bring a truck and hire a driver to follow me around.

On the other hand, I am seriously considering one of these air horns.
    Amazon.com: Delta Ecoblast Handheld Horn with Pump: Sports & Outdoors

I have the Delta Airzound air horn on my commuter bike. The Ecoblast appears to just be a handheld version of the Airzound.

Mars

mtbr member
    Im gonna bring my attack cat to protect me next ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Im gonna bring my attack cat to protect me next ride
    I would be afraid of the attack cat digging his claws in, especially because I like it chunky and techy like that goat camp video that RCC posted.

I have a hard time believing you could pack an attack cat, but I guess it could be done. Youtube proves it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If three of us ride together we could bring the whole motar set up. Barrel,plate, and 2 rounds
    You think that would sink in better than a firearms course? Man, where did my truck go? Some idiot is lobbing mortar rounds at me!