mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Deception=Wilderness?

Just saw the updated SFBFL route. It includes the towers>Deception Peak>Ravin's. The NMES website claims this trail runs along the Wilderness boundary, others claim it is a blatant poach. I checked the forest service website and found nothing. It looks like it skirts the boundary on my map. I always descend to the first switchback of the ski area road and climb the hike-a-bike from there.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone know for sure? If it is Wilderness, it'd be a bad scene to have a group of 40 or 50 go blazing through on a Saturday in June.

banned
    It is definitely this side of the Pecos Wilderness Boundary, if that helps. I have seen signs, but they are misleading. I have even went as far to ask hikers and their response is, "why would anyone want to rid that on a bicycle"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The wilderness boundary goes through the top of lake peak and along the ridge to penitente. DP is not in the wilderness area. Depending on what your calling Ravens ridge it is probably not in the wilderness area. All according to the forest service pecos wilderness map.

Thread Pollution
    It's that sign on the singletrack above the catwalk that confuses me too,. and I doubt 40 or 50 people ,{15 to 20 is more realistic,}will even get that far.I've only heard of people cleaning the boulder fields on Ravens and why for god sakes would you put a hike a bike in the middle of an endurance race is weird ,the guys who run the show are hard core.I think that day I'll ride up there and heckle the hike a bikers thru the boulders and catch a snooze on top of the world

banned
    That boulder field is nuts. I've tried every way possible and there just isn't a line through there. Wanna ride this Saturday, Chut?

Thread Pollution
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    That boulder field is nuts. I've tried every way possible and there just isn't a line through there. Wanna ride this Saturday, Chut?
    We will talk.was planning to hit up sbt for the third weekend in a row,but like the weather my mind changes on a regular base/aka flake out

banned
    Fair enough...I'm not sure where I'm riding either. I might be interested in Sbt or some other stuff. Elliot Barker, maybe?

banned

How's about...

Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    We will talk.was planning to hit up sbt for the third weekend in a row,but like the weather my mind changes on a regular base/aka flake out
    Cochiti/Jemez?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Well...

just rode my bike up there and that "confusing sign" is so faded you can't even read it. End of confusion. Thanks for the replies, just wanted to know for sure in case I was confronted by a "confused hiker".

High Alpine Adventure
    ...the guys who run the show are hard core.I think that day I'll ride up there and heckle the hike a bikers thru the boulders and catch a snooze on top of the world
    Comon Makahooie... Lil' Johnny and a Cow need company...
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Hike a Bike?

Why don't you power tool boys take your chainsaws and bobcats up there and clear a line? You have a couple of days to get it done. And you would definitely find out if it is wilderness by lunch on the first day of construction.

How big are the boulders in question? Do I need to bring climbing shoes and chalk?

Moo

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=C Cow]Why don't you power tool boys take your chainsaws and bobcats up there and clear a line?

Snow shovel would be more appropriate.

How big are the boulders in question?

[I]Volkswagens, no line to be had.
    Last edited by brad h; 06-22-2009 at 04:54 PM.

High Alpine Adventure

Just need to think outside the lines....

Quote Originally Posted by brad h
    How big are the boulders in question?

[I]Volkswagens, no line to be had.
    I bet Ayden could clean it... damn trials punk! >;o)=
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Thread Pollution
    Cow and goat meat,hmmm,I'll bring the grill.Who's up for some goat / wild carrot kabobs and steak for lunch.and if they are lactating we'll have fresh goat and cow milk.Then we can throw the carcasses over on the wilderness side of the fence for the weasels.

banned
    Cow and goat meat,hmmm,I'll bring the grill.Who's up for some goat / wild carrot kabobs and steak for lunch.and if they are lactating we'll have fresh goat and cow milk.Then we can throw the carcasses over on the wilderness side of the fence for the weasels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

A Meal Fit for a .......????

I've heard that a little Makachutney goes well with goat and cow.

Does all this attention imply that we will get to at least start SFBFL with the Honorable Mak? Or are you just barking from the doghouse again? I'll ride faster so I can keep up this year. With all the hyper-dimensional philosophyzing that goes on here, I'd hate to miss the pearls of wisdom falling from your mouth during a long ride. And I need a guide for this new route anyway.

Moo