Is the bike OK?

Crested Butte Race "Wildflower Rush" - long overdue post

We raced the "Wildflower Rush" back in June but I haven't been able to find the time to post this until now and I wanted to get these up before the next MSC race in Snowmass this coming weekend. Chris Boice of ABQ won the men's Pro DH, I won Class 1 men's 40+ DH, and Robbie Brooks of Los Alamos got 2nd in Class 2 men's 15-18. My son Ben's chain got stuck at the start so he didn't place so well on a pedally course .

One of the many views from the drive to CB:
    CB01_DriveUp.jpg

Some cows on one of Kristin's XC rides:
    CB02_Cows.jpg

Wildflowers (appropriate considering the name of the race):
    CB03_WildFlowers.jpg

Kristin riding XC:
    CB04_KristinsRiding.jpg

Ben (son) & Kristin (wife), John & Josh (friends, Josh raced Super D & DH)
    CB05_4X_BenKrisJohnJosh.jpg

The rain came just in time for the 4X finals making a fun race (to watch ):
    CB06_4X_1.jpg

Ben, Me, Kristin (crd, recognize the beer you gave me a while back?, I was saving it for the right moment). Check out the dude on the right side of the picture, WTF :
    CB07_4X_Pedersons.jpg

4X Pro Action:
    CB08_4X_2.jpg

More 4X
    CB09_4X_3.jpg

Is the bike OK?

More Pictures

Ben (son) on last DH jump:
    CB10_FinishJumpBen.jpg

Tie Brooks on last DH jump:
    CB11_FinishJumpTie.jpg

Kyle Mooday on last DH jump:
    CB12_FinishJumpKyle.jpg

Dom on last DH jump:
    CB13_FinishJumpDom.jpg

The following pictures are the DH course from top to bottom. Ben & I road it during the Pro finals and stopped for pictures along the way. It shows of all the major features of the DH course:
    CB14_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB15_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB16_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB17_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB18_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB19_ProsOnDH.jpg

Is the bike OK?

Final Pictures

Rest of the trip down the DH course during Pro finals:
    CB20_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB21_ProsOnDH.jpg

This is Caleb:
    CB22_ProsOnDHCaleb.jpg

CB23_ProsOnDH.jpg

CB24_ProsOnDH.jpg

This is Chris Boice at the end of his winning run:
    CB25_ProsOnDHBoiceJump.jpg

Me on the podium:
    CB27_NealPodium.jpg

Boice on the podium:
    CB28_BoicePodium.jpg

My big bonus at the end of the day was winning the grand prize from the raffle, a pair of SunRingle A.D.D. Lights .
    CB29_NealWonWheels.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Great pics! How was Paj this weekend?

banned
    Nice! The trip payed off. Not only did you guys get in some good riding, but race schwag in the form of a WS is pretty awesome!

Is the bike OK?
    "How was Paj this weekend?" It was great! No lightening shutdowns, good dirt from recent rains, and my thigh injury that's been heeling for two weeks since the last time they were open got better throughout the day. I need to get a work day scheduled just to do some basic maintenance like clearing loose rocks and some roots. I just haven't been able to hike lately. It will probably be a week from Wednesday night if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by nealpederson; 08-04-2009 at 07:00 AM.

C S
    mtbr member
    Nice pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    I need to get a work day scheduled just to do some basic maintenance like clearing loose rocks and some roots. I just haven't been able to hike lately. It will probably be a week from Wednesday night if anyone's interested.
    Count me in. Give me a call/email a day or so before whenever you go to let me know for sure and I'll be up there.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Nice shots Neal - congrats on the finish! The cow shot of Kristin's XC ride looks like Deer Creek, but it's been a few years since I was there. We can only guess whose butt is being appreciated in the "WTF" pic.
    - Joe

Is the bike OK?
    Thanks Joe, I didn't do nearly as well at Snowmass this weekend but still had a blast and didn't get hurt (at least not too bad). I'll try to post those pics this week which will include a major Lance citing.

7MGTE
    Thanks Joe, I didn't do nearly as well at Snowmass this weekend but still had a blast and didn't get hurt (at least not too bad). I'll try to post those pics this week which will include a major Lance citing.
    Good to hear you did not get hurt to bad, where did you fall (or bail)?

Canfield or Armstrong citing?

Nice job at CB Neal

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Good to hear you did not get hurt to bad, where did you fall (or bail)?

Canfield or Armstrong citing?

Nice job at CB Neal
    I just had a dumb fall during practice but I landed on my left leg that I messed up really bad a few weeks ago at Pajarito. It wasn't a big deal but I think it slowed me down for my race run. I didn't crash during my race but only got fourth.

Lance Armstrong raced the Snowmass Blast The Mass XC race and smoked the Pro class! He's been training for the Leadville 100 and I guess he decided to use this as a warmup since he lives in Aspen now.

I'll have pictures of Lance & gravity events in another post sometime this week.

7MGTE
    I just had a dumb fall during practice but I landed on my left leg that I messed up really bad a few weeks ago at Pajarito. It wasn't a big deal but I think it slowed me down for my race run. I didn't crash during my race but only got fourth.

Lance Armstrong raced the Snowmass Blast The Mass XC race and smoked the Pro class! He's been training for the Leadville 100 and I guess he decided to use this as a warmup since he lives in Aspen now.

I'll have pictures of Lance & gravity events in another post sometime this week.
    You feel on your camera right? Think I rem. the post. I flopped hard on my right leg that same weekend (at PAJ). My tires were way to firm so I slid out trying to get on log. Man it hurt I flopped hard on a log and it was like the 2nd run . I am still feeling touches of it as well.

Still good job on top 5 finish, only got 4th

Oh, Armstong. Yeah I bet he is training hard after finishing 2nd to Dave Weins at last years L100. Its going to be a good race watching Dave and Lance battle it out this year.

I think Chris and Lance (Canfield) were up there racing as well so that's why I asked. Any pics of the CBs or Mitch in 4X?

Is the bike OK?
    Yeah, broke my camera and shattered my sunglasses into my thigh. Lesson: Don't put crap in your pockets when riding DH. I also got padded shorts after that one.

No, I didn't see Chris or Lance Canfield but we didn't stick around for the Pro finals since the drive home was a long one. I'm still waiting for DH results to post. I got a bunch of 4x pics but not sure if I caught Mitch or not. He placed 3rd in 4x!