mtbr member

Conditions at Pajarito for 07/12/08

Does anyone know what the conditions are at Pajarito? Do the soon to be lifted (maybe) forest closures affect Pajarito? Have they gotten too much rain and ridding is ill advised or even restricted? Are lightning strikes too common to make opening the lifts a good idea? I have a chance to ride up there on Saturday and I hope that the mountain is rideable but would love a locals report before dragging the family all the way from Albuquerque.

Bandolero

never been any

Quote Originally Posted by hrsjqb1
    Does anyone know what the conditions are at Pajarito? Do the soon to be lifted (maybe) forest closures affect Pajarito? Have they gotten too much rain and ridding is ill advised or even restricted? Are lightning strikes too common to make opening the lifts a good idea? I have a chance to ride up there on Saturday and I hope that the mountain is rideable but would love a locals report before dragging the family all the way from Albuquerque.
    Los Alamos is under the Santa Fe Forest and they never had restrictions. Weird as I can see Pajarito from my office.

Go Saturday. Get there early as the clouds may move in around 12 or so.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member

Awesome

Thanks. That is some kinda great view you have from your office.

Bandolero

Sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by hrsjqb1
    Thanks. That is some kinda great view you have from your office.
    It's weird as Sandia and Otero were closed, but the other mountains within view didn't even have Stage I restrictions, while Sandia has/had Stage III

Sure it's a great view.. If I get out of my cube, go to the elevator and head to the top floor.

I see fabric covered walls from where I'm at now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    I see fabric covered walls from where I'm at now.
    Do you at least have a red Swingline stapler?

Bandolero

PC Load Letter

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Do you at least have a red Swingline stapler?
    And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don, too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire....

You can always apply for a job at Penetrode.

Hahhha, I love that movie.

mtbr member
    Pajarito Mtn. got 3/4" of rain on Tuesday. All the dust is gone now just tacky dirt and all the new berms are pretty packed. Pretty much perfect riding conditions for the weekend I would think . Thunder storms are hit or miss this time of year so you never know, just be on the lift at 9am so you can get as much riding as possible. If they shut the lifts down during any thunder you can always ride UP the hill or hit the DJs or intermediate skills park. Got most of a new west side trail (Natural Selection) done, kinda hard rock featurs though

???
    Jun 2007
    [QUOTE=notaknob]Los Alamos is under the Santa Fe Forest and they never had restrictions. Weird as I can see Pajarito from my office.

Pajarito Mountain is not Santa Fe National Forest - it is privately owned and not subject to Forest Service closures and restrictions.

mtbr member
    The conditions are great! I was up there the last two nights and the trails are fast and solid. Should be a great time this weekend.

Make sure you there there at opening time to get as much riding in as possible, because they do shut the lift if there is thunder... 'tis the season for thunderstorms.

And, they never close the trails to riding because it is private land and the FS restrictions never apply. That is also the reason we can build our MTB trails...
    there can be only one... track

Bandolero

Semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by SockPuppetry
    Pajarito Mountain is not Santa Fe National Forest - it is privately owned and not subject to Forest Service closures and restrictions.
    Hey Puppet, nice to hear from you.

While Pajarito is private land, the portions north, south and east are part of the Santa Fe Forest. You actually drive through the SF to get to Pajarito, hence the ability to camp for free alongside that road. The portion that lies directly west is part of the Valles Caldera Federal Private Reserve.

Since there is no lines printed on the trees and mountains that can be easily identified from 75 miles away, it's difficult to determine exactly where the private land ends and the SF forest starts. I just haven't figured out how to mentally block out the private land that Pajarito is on. So when I wrote that I can see Pajarito I can see part of the Santa Fe Forest too, as part of the peak of Pajarito is actually in the SF Forest. It's truly amazing.

mtbr member

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy

I am virtually vibrating with excitement for tomorrow's riding. The proximity and cool-ness of this mountain are one of the things that make this state as cool as it is. Behind green chili and summer nights this is one of the things I seriously consider as "leaving behind" when ever my wife and I discuss moving somewhere else. Tragically, I have not been up since Ulr Fest 2006, there used to be a teeter-totter on one of the trails that started on an upper section of trail and just seamlessly fed straight down the trail it had a cool little root drop of to the right if I recall correctly too. Teeter totters are almost always rad but this one was easily one of the smoothest ever. Is it still up there, if so where is it? I loved that thing; I must have ridden it a half dozen times on one run.

mtbr member
    It's still there. I gotta remember to fix it tomorrow (needs a bit extra weight since it hasn't been coming back down all the time The one you're talking about is probably the Mothers Milk teeter. Theres a wilder one on Triple Threat (taller, skinnier and a small drop off the end) see some picks on the skipajarito web site (http://skipajarito.com/biking.php. )That whole trail is elevated for about 1500 feet

???
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob

While Pajarito is private land, the portions north, south and east are part of the Santa Fe Forest. You actually drive through the SF to get to Pajarito, hence the ability to camp for free alongside that road. The portion that lies directly west is part of the Valles Caldera Federal Private Reserve.

Since there is no lines printed on the trees and mountains that can be easily identified from 75 miles away, it's difficult to determine exactly where the private land ends and the SF forest starts. I just haven't figured out how to mentally block out the private land that Pajarito is on. So when I wrote that I can see Pajarito I can see part of the Santa Fe Forest too, as part of the peak of Pajarito is actually in the SF Forest. It's truly amazing.
    I wasn't commenting on the view from your window - just clarifying that Pajarito Mountain is not subject to Forest Service closures. Thanks for the map though.