mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

New question here. Coming from Austin for a few days...where to ride in your great state?

Hey all!

A buddy (maybe a few) and I are planning a riding trip to NM and wanted to get some feedback and ideas.

We're all from Austin and ride pretty much everything here, some places better than others

Heading to Toas, SantaFe area or wherever.
    Kinda our pre-Moab/Fruita ride (that trip is in Sept/Oct!!).

I've heard and seen good stuff in Gallup, NM
    That looks fun.

and heard good stuff about Santa Fe.
    Found some online trail guides

Sooo much to pick from. Help a brotha out.

We're coming up Wed 7/16 and returning Sun 7/20.

Any recommendations of what to ride and/or what to avoid would be great.

We'll probably camp too, wherever we go.

Thanks in advance!
    Erik

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey - local austinite here and this is one of my NM destinations that I have bookmarked:
    Battleship

Bandolero

Two things

Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    Hey all!

A buddy (maybe a few) and I are planning a riding trip to NM and wanted to get some feedback and ideas.

We're coming up Wed 7/16 and returning Sun 7/20.

Any recommendations of what to ride and/or what to avoid would be great.

We'll probably camp too, wherever we go.
    Avoid: Trees, cacti and bathing in the outdoors.
    Recommend: Pajarito

The origins of pukemaster's travels in NM are a good place to start. He didn't get up north to the Taos, but that there was snow up there then.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=notaknob]Avoid: Trees, cacti and bathing in the outdoors.
    WOW! That is crazy stuff. Do you think he could of fought back if he hadn't left his teeth on the kitchen table? Man... crazy. Is that for real? What if the brother killed him.

saddlemeat

Gallup

The Zuni Mountains near Gallup are a good bet right now. It's green and lush and cool. Nights are still pretty cold, 40s, so bring warm hang out clothing. Fire restrictions don't permit campfires, but propane is ok. The McGaffey area has had intersection map/signs and route markers installed on much of the system, so making sense of the trails will be easier. There are developed campgrounds, but you can camp anywhere along the various side roads also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I ride with the best people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    [QUOTE=SSweetleaf]
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Avoid: Trees, cacti and bathing in the outdoors.
    WOW! That is crazy stuff. Do you think he could of fought back if he hadn't left his teeth on the kitchen table? Man... crazy. Is that for real? What if the brother killed him.

Looks like he paid the price for hunting the ultimate prey. Killer killed

Thread Pollution
    I would avoid the whole state ,there really isn't much riding around here except for dirt roads and dark alley's

mtbr member
    pukemaster's travels in NM are a good place to start.
    Yep, pukemaster did a good job of sampling the various trails in the Abq, Santa Fe, Los Alamos areas. He posted up some trail reviews on an east coast bike site. It's a good place to start. http://www.bikerag.com/bike_trail_maps_text_nm.htm He didn't hit up Taos, Gallup, or areas south of Abq. Las Cruces, Socorro, and some of those areas have fine riding and would be closer to Austin. I'm no expert on trails that far down, though.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Thread Pollution
    a good ride

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    a good ride
    is that an offer?

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Elevation question?

So coming from Austin, TX to Taos, Santa Fe and ABQ, is it better to start our selections of rides in smaller elevation (ABQ) and work your way up (Taos) or just go to Taos and work our way down?

Thanks!
    Erik

crap magnet

Camping

Good camping at Hyde Park or Black Canyon Campground above Santa Fe towards the ski basin. You can make online reservations and I think its 10 bucks or so per night. If your looking for free there are some nice spots up Pacheco Canyon. TONS of good riding from either area and you can pedal to the trails from your campsite.

Here's a link to Hyde Memorial State Park reservations.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/Hyde.htm

If I'm free I'd be happy to show you around some of the goods here in Santa Fe but be forwarned I'm originally from Ann Arbor.

Go Blue!
    Last edited by cdaddy; 07-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I'd say start in Abq and work your way up seems to me to be the easier way to go. You won't get adjusted to the altitude over a short trip, but no sense making yourself puke the first day. Start a little lower and get an idea of what your body will do there should allow you to scale your next higher elevation rides to your appropriate oxygen-deprived endurance level.

Keep in mind that many of the rides around Abq are currently closed due to drought conditions. Don't remember when you're coming out, but you might not be able to ride Abq if they don't get some decent rains.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy
    Good camping at Hyde Park or Black Canyon Campground above Santa Fe towards the ski basin. You can make online reservations and I think its 10 bucks or so per night. If your looking for free there are some nice spots up Pacheco Canyon. TONS of good riding from either area and you can pedal to the trails from your campsite.

Here's a link to Hyde Memorial State Park reservations.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/Hyde.htm

If I'm free I'd be happy to show you around some of the goods here in Santa Fe but be forwarned I'm originally from Ann Arbor.

Go Blue!
    Cool, we're still planing out the trip. Would love a local guide.
    I'll PM ya with details when we have more. I bought a trail book for Northern NM and went thru the 45 or so named trails and picked out of few we'd like to try.
    Good to know ABQ is off the list. So we'll be in Santa Fe and Taos then.

We leave here next week, Tues, should arrive afternoon Wed. The plan was to ride in the afternoon, but I guess it will be to avoid lightning.

What about night rides?

I grew up in Ann Arbor too for 7 years. I didn't tell many people at Ohio State that

Yes, we'll start super early.
    We're on CST which will help and I have 2 kids, so I'm used to being up at 6am, 5am your time.
    We will definitely plan rides accordingly.

Going to try Sandia on Friday. That looks fun!

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

No good

Recommend: Pajarito
    wow, we don't have stuff like that here, and I'm not sure my balls will be big enough to try that kinda stuff. I have the gear and the bike for it. Looks like a ton of fun but also a quick "vacation ender"

mtbr member
    I think you could spend your entire time in just Santa Fe or just Taos and be happy with the trail selections and never bother leaving to try another location. Not knowing what you like to do, though, I'll just throw out some trail names off the top of my head that might interest you. They're all near SF or Taos...at least wint an hour or so. Type the name into the MTBR search on NM and see if that's a trail you might like. Many are not in the Mountain Biking guide to NNM, though.

Trails South of Santa Fe that might interest you and are lower elevation:
    White Mesa - Just outside San Ysidro.
    Medio Dia - Between Cochiti and Los Alamos, a short jaunt off 25 on the way to Santa Fe
    (neither trail can be found in the guide book)

Santa Fe area
    Dale Ball Trails - Some of these are in the guide book and they're not on the ridgelines.
    Winsor - Classic 'downhill' Santa Fe ride. In guide book and can be shuttled. If you choose to climb it, bring an extra lung and some major fuel for the legs.
    Rio En Medio - Not in Guide book. Great/scenic ride and can be done as a loop by riding up Pacheco canyon.
    Umm...I'm dodgy on SF. I ride occasionally there but not indepth info like other SF guys here.

Taos
    South Boundary - Arguably the most famous ride in NM. It's in the guidebook.
    See if you can get Greg de Taos to chime in--Taos local that knows those trails. I'm really not a great source of Taos info.

Other trails that are nearby and might be of interest but not in the book:
    (1)Look up threads on GITA (Gaspin' in the Aspens). They're informally-organized bike festivals near Santa Fe/Taos and are good overviews of some beautiful rides.
    (2) East Fork/Battleship - about 20 minutes W of Los Alamos. Awesome ride.
    (3) Guaje Ridge - Long technical single track ride in Los alamos.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Our/my first trip up to elevation riding. Preamble to going to Moab/Fruita in Sept/Oct....

Can't wait to come check it out. THanks for the heads up on trails.
    That makes our decisions even more difficult

Being that I'm 6'6" and 260 lbs, I usually hang in the Clydesdale forum unless I'm going on a trip and then post up and ask around.

Love living in Austin, TX. Great biking, not the views or distances, but the trails here are awesome. Check out Austinbike's site. http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp
    for view of the local and not so local trails in the area.

Been on 2 trips to Palo Duro Canyon. Reviewed on John's website.

Pics of my rig and of me riding in Palo Duro Canyon in a 29er thread (yep looking at going big wheeled)

Pics from our trip from Austin to Oil City, PA with stops in TN, OH, PA and KY

So l like the single track, not a fan of huge climbs, but am getting better. At my size I like the DH stuff and will jump off stuff on occasion

Looking forward to another out of state trip and ride.
    From everything I've read, heard, and seen online it sounds like beautiful country and riding.

Any tour guides available next week?

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    I think you could spend your entire time in just Santa Fe or just Taos and be happy with the trail selections and never bother leaving to try another location. Not knowing what you like to do, though, I'll just throw out some trail names off the top of my head that might interest you. They're all near SF or Taos...at least wint an hour or so. Type the name into the MTBR search on NM and see if that's a trail you might like. Many are not in the Mountain Biking guide to NNM, though.

Trails South of Santa Fe that might interest you and are lower elevation:
    White Mesa - Just outside San Ysidro.
    Medio Dia - Between Cochiti and Los Alamos, a short jaunt off 25 on the way to Santa Fe
    (neither trail can be found in the guide book)

Santa Fe area
    Dale Ball Trails - Some of these are in the guide book and they're not on the ridgelines.
    Winsor - Classic 'downhill' Santa Fe ride. In guide book and can be shuttled. If you choose to climb it, bring an extra lung and some major fuel for the legs.
    Rio En Medio - Not in Guide book. Great/scenic ride and can be done as a loop by riding up Pacheco canyon.
    Umm...I'm dodgy on SF. I ride occasionally there but not indepth info like other SF guys here.

Taos
    South Boundary - Arguably the most famous ride in NM. It's in the guidebook.
    See if you can get Greg de Taos to chime in--Taos local that knows those trails. I'm really not a great source of Taos info.

Other trails that are nearby and might be of interest but not in the book:
    (1)Look up threads on GITA (Gaspin' in the Aspens). They're informally-organized bike festivals near Santa Fe/Taos and are good overviews of some beautiful rides.
    (2) East Fork/Battleship - about 20 minutes W of Los Alamos. Awesome ride.
    (3) Guaje Ridge - Long technical single track ride in Los alamos.
    Battle ship looks damn fun!!!
    We have South Boundry on the schedule Sandia is closed so that opens a day for us.
    You riding next week?

mtbr member
    Battle ship looks damn fun!!!
    We have South Boundry on the schedule Sandia is closed so that opens a day for us.
    You riding next week?
    Oh, aye...I'll be riding most days next week. I can't ride on Friday, the 18th...it's my wee daughter's birthday. Otherwise, if you want to head out Los Alamos way, I'd be down for East Fork or any other rides in these parts. Whee! I could even be convinced to shuttle it for some Austin folk. I'm a grad of UT (94).

Umm...and those rumors about flatlanders and MTBNate aren't true.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Oh, aye...I'll be riding most days next week. I can't ride on Friday, the 18th...it's my wee daughter's birthday. Otherwise, if you want to head out Los Alamos way, I'd be down for East Fork or any other rides in these parts. Whee! I could even be convinced to shuttle it for some Austin folk. I'm a grad of UT (94).

Umm...and those rumors about flatlanders and MTBNate aren't true.
    After the pictures of Battleship, that will for sure be a ride (need to cofirm with the other 2-3 guys). What about Thurs?
    (not sure when we get in on Wed, depends how far we get Tues PM after packing, shopping and rolling out after work) . Figure Windsor would be best bet since it's all or mostly down. Hopefully the rain holds off.....

How are these for rides?
    Can/should we plan for afternoon rides?

What can we double up on?

Wed PM?? Windsor shuttled? 10 mi down baby! No rain please!
    Wed Night Ride: Chamisa Trail Loop? 8.6 mi

Thurs? Battleship? (is this an all day event or do we need a 2nd destination)
    Thurs Night: ?? suggestions?

Fri: Glorieta Mesa and Baldy?
    Fri Night: ?? suggestions?

Sat: South Boundry (since that's Taos, with the biggest elevation place.)

Sun: Something super early and not killer. Need to be packed and on the roady home by 11am

banned
    Sep 2005

sounds pretty good...

Wed: Try shuttling REM instead.

Thurs.: I can make the Battleship ride.

Friday: Head over to LA and hit the Guaje Epic

Saturday: Ride with the Bandoleros ( route to be determined )

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

you don't say...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Wed: Try shuttling REM instead. <== REM? Rio En Medio?

Thurs.: I can make the Battleship ride. SWEET! What else to do that day? Winsor downhill funness?

Friday: Head over to LA and hit the Guaje Epic <== que es esto? better than Glorieta Mesa and Baldy? Painful, views? Downhill?
    Saturday: Ride with the Bandoleros ( route to be determined ) ,<== and skip the South boundary trail?
    see red above

banned
    Sep 2005
    I should have said....OR....

If it were me, these are the rides that I would pick.

Rio En Medio would be a great shuttle, but you will need two vehicles and it is tougher to navigate than Winsor. More technical and better scenery/landscape, plus not near as crowded. Think waterfalls and cool running streams.

Thursday, no worries. I know the route and depending on your condition and saddle time, the Winsor shuttle is a good option if you still have the legs.

Friday at Guaje might be pushing it but it is worth the pain if you can hang. I think Von said that he was busy this Friday and you definitely would need a guide for that one. If you can work it out it is worth the trip up there. If not then Glorieta/Baldy is a good option before you hook up with us on Saturday.

Saturday if you choose to ride with us, we can take into account the rides that you have done already and schedule accordingly....hmmmm....maybe shuttles on REM.....

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I should have said....OR....

If it were me, these are the rides that I would pick.

Rio En Medio would be a great shuttle, but you will need two vehicles and it is tougher to navigate than Winsor. More technical and better scenery/landscape, plus not near as crowded. Think waterfalls and cool running streams.

Thursday, no worries. I know the route and depending on your condition and saddle time, the Winsor shuttle is a good option if you still have the legs.

Friday at Guaje might be pushing it but it is worth the pain if you can hang. I think Von said that he was busy this Friday and you definitely would need a guide for that one. If you can work it out it is worth the trip up there. If not then Glorieta/Baldy is a good option before you hook up with us on Saturday.

Saturday if you choose to ride with us, we can take into account the rides that you have done already and schedule accordingly....hmmmm....maybe shuttles on REM.....
    What would be a quick hit for Wed to get in a ride before the rains come mid/late afternoon? Are there places or people that shuttle at REM? Bike shops or whatever?

Just 3 of us right now, 1 car, with a quad rack.

Can we do south boundary and something else on top of that on Saturday? Since it's mostly downhill and all haha.

We will have cameras in tow.

I'll send ya a PM with contact information.

crap magnet
    If your rolling into town Wednesday, shuttling REM might be a bit ambitious. A good, quick (2-3hr) lower elevation ride would be the Dale Ball System just east of downtown SF.

DB Central and North sections less technical/steep. South more technical with lots of steep climbs.
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4565crx.aspx

No formal shuttles for REM but getting to the trailhead from your car isn't too difficult. Primarily forest road with a mile of asphalt tossed in at the beginning. Maybe a total of 7 or 8 miles with 2000' elevation gain to get to good stuff.
    Last edited by cdaddy; 07-08-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member

I am free on Thursday for whatever. Battleship can probably be ridden in 2-3 hours with a shuttle. So, it would be possible to then do Guaje Ridge afterward if the weather cooperated. You'd pass right by it on the way back to SF and it's mostly downhill (I'd estimate a couple mile climb of maybe 1000' followed by about 12 miles of downhill back to town). With the way the rains have gone the last week, there is slim to no chance of getting a clear afternoon. Just a thought.

There are other, shorter rides in the area that could be done instead to round out the day. Crosstown is a short distance from Battleship and is a nice singletrack ramble through the pine forests of the Jemez. Not much climbing on that one and comes in at around 10 miles for the loop.

I can't ride on Friday, but if you want to try Guaje on your own, I can send you a GPX file of the route that you can follow.

On Saturday, I'd suggest hitting South Boundary. Sorry Bryan...but it'd be like visiting Paris without seeing the Eiffel tower if they didn't hit SB. My 2 cents.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I am free on Thursday for whatever. Battleship can probably be ridden in 2-3 hours with a shuttle. So, it would be possible to then do Guaje Ridge afterward if the weather cooperated. You'd pass right by it on the way back to SF and it's mostly downhill (I'd estimate a couple mile climb of maybe 1000' followed by about 12 miles of downhill back to town). With the way the rains have gone the last week, there is slim to no chance of getting a clear afternoon. Just a thought.

There are other, shorter rides in the area that could be done instead to round out the day. Crosstown is a short distance from Battleship and is a nice singletrack ramble through the pine forests of the Jemez. Not much climbing on that one and comes in at around 10 miles for the loop.

I can't ride on Friday, but if you want to try Guaje on your own, I can send you a GPX file of the route that you can follow.

On Saturday, I'd suggest hitting South Boundary. Sorry Bryan...but it'd be like visiting Paris without seeing the Eiffel tower if they didn't hit SB. My 2 cents.
    How early can y'all meet up or when is a good time to start?
    We're on CST and used to being up early (at least I am).

Coming to ride, not sleep in

Bryan recommended staying in Pacheco Canyon as our central point.
    Works for me. I'd rather just set up and go from one spot. We're used to driving in Texas but from the looks of stuff it doesn't look like the trails are too far off.

Yes, definite SB on Saturday!

We're up for whatever after someone sinks my Battleship.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Let me know your plans for Taos, would be happy to show you around. We are in Austin quite a bit, and would love to find some goods there.
    Last edited by greg de taos; 07-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

banned
    Sep 2005

No worries. I just thought they may want to hang with the NM Celebs

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Let me know your plans for Taos, would be happy to show you around. We are in Austin quite a bit, and would love to find some good there.
    ...and there you go. I would not mind scouting the 'Mondragon' stash

banned
    Sep 2005
    9am at Battleship TH?

Von do you mind posting a map? I have one if you don't.

mtbr member

Pukemaster's map of East Fork

9am at Battleship TH?

Von do you mind posting a map? I have one if you don't.
    My GPS map is on my dead PC. Here's Pukemaster's map...which is really probably better than anything I would have anyway. East Fork We need Pukemaster to come back out if for no other reason than to make maps for us. I, for one, am a complete map-making moron.

The lower TH--Battleship rock parking lot is at: 35.828728, -106.644973
    The upper TH--Los Conchas trailhead is at: 35.815164,-106.533099

Type those values in Google maps and you can then route there from wherever you are. Easiest thing would be to drop the bikes off at Las Conchas as you drive by. Leave someone there with bikes and then move vehicles down to Battleship. Take one back up to Las Conchas to start off ride. So tentatively Las Conchas PL at 9AM then?

Two comments for the Austin people. (1) There is a new security perimeter you'll pass through as you head through the edge of Los Alamos National Labs that is not shown on maps yet. You'll need to drive through a manned guard gate. Just stop and wait for the guard to wave you on. No need for rectal probes or anything else. Some people freak out and make a U-turn in the middle of the road. Don't do that. Go through the gate. The guard won't even talk to you. (2) At Las Conchas, there are two parking areas. The first is a fishing area just before you cross the East Fork River. There are some signs about paying for fishing and a small hut in the p-lot. Don't stop here. Go over the river and stop at the small parking area just past the river. There should be a sign that says 'Las Conchas Trailhead', but no signs about paying to fish here. If you can see the river just below and to the right of your vehicle, you're in the right place.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I thought we could extend the ride a bit by doing an out and back from EF.

mtbr member
    I thought we could extend the ride a bit by doing an out and back from EF.
    Well, we could really extend it by starting at Dixon's like we were talking about last week.

East Fork parking lot is a few miles or so past Las Conchas on the right. I don't have any coordinates for that. Pretty hard to miss, though, since it's a rather large parking area with a nice large sign. So...meet at East Fork p-lot then at 9 AM?

Bandolero

map, etc

My GPS map is on my dead PC. Here's Pukemaster's map...which is really probably better than anything I would have anyway. East Fork We need Pukemaster to come back out if for no other reason than to make maps for us. I, for one, am a complete map-making moron.

The lower TH--Battleship rock parking lot is at: 35.828728, -106.644973
    The upper TH--Los Conchas trailhead is at: 35.815164,-106.533099
    From teh internets - East Fork via google maps.

pm for GPS stuff if you want.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    Sep 2005
    Well, we could really extend it by starting at Dixon's like we were talking about last week.
    mmmm....epic Talk about torturing some flatlanders.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Good job!

Friday and Sat are open, one of them being South Boundary, but we can do more if time, legs and lungs permit.

We're not coming up there to sit around a camp fire and read books, we're there to ride!!

Tyler has an iPhone so we can GPS from there, but regular human directions are always welcome. If the trails in question are listed in my NNM book that they have pretty good directions.

9am Start....maybe for the 2nd lap? What the hell are we going to do with 3 hours to burn? We'll be up with the Sunrise (which is 7am our time)
    I've got the cowboy wok and will be making Breakfast Tacos if anyone is interested and hungry. Fajitas for dinner.

We start rides here in town at 7am to beat the texas heat, so as early as you boys wanna go, we're good.

Open invite to rides in Austin. lots of fun stuff to be had some public, some not Be glad to show y'all around any time with notice.

We're leaving after work on Tues and seeing how far we can drive. I'd rather drive thru West Texas in the dark, you see just about as much

Y'all want any beer from Texas? I'm not a beer drinker but could shuttle you up something that you might not get in them thar parts

Can't wait!
    Erik

banned
    Sep 2005

Hold on, pardner!!!

Grab hold of those reigns there Tex....9am is good, being that I have to drive an hour and a half to meet y'all

Here is a map to the TH. Take 285 from the Tesuque exit ( if you are camped below otherwise just hit the 285 from Santa Fe ) towards Los Alamos. Then exit on Hwy 502 again towards Los Alamos. Continue for about 15 miles until you see an exit for White Rock ( Hwy 4 ). Follow for about 3-4 miles to your first right and I think this is Hwy 501 ( There is a three way intersection ). DO NOT continue on HW 4 for more than a few miles. It will eventually get you there, but it IS the scenic route. Follow 501 into Los Alamos and go through Lab security. This will eventually turn into Hwy 4. See map below. I believe the East Fork TH is in the Redondo parking area or very close. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 07-09-2008 at 06:13 AM.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Grab hold of those reigns there Tex....9am is good, being that I have to drive an hour and a half to meet y'all

Here is a map to the TH. Take 285 from the Tesuque exit ( if you are camped below otherwise just hit the 285 from Santa Fe ) towards Los Alamos. Then exit on Hwy 502 again towards Los Alamos. Continue for about 15 miles until you see an exit for White Rock ( Hwy 4 ). Follow for about 3-4 miles to your first right and I think this is Hwy 501 ( There is a three way intersection ). DO NOT continue on HW 4 for more than a few miles. It will eventually get you there, but it IS the scenic route. Follow 501 into Los Alamos and go through Lab security. This will eventually turn into Hwy 4. See map below. I believe the East Fork TH is in the Redondo parking area or very close. Good Luck!
    No worries, just giving ya crap
    Didn't know you had to make a pilgrimage

banned
    Sep 2005

On second thought...

We all should meet down at the Battleship parking lot. I was a wee tired last night and wasn't thinking. If we shuttle your truck up to East Fork and leave RM's and my truck at Battleship, which will be end ride, I can give you guys a lift at the end of the ride. Either way we need have at least one vehicle capable of carrying multiple bikes/passengers waiting at Battleship.

This would require less driving on my part and I could potentially be at the TH at 8:30-8:45.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    We all should meet down at the Battleship parking lot. I was a wee tired last night and wasn't thinking. If we shuttle your truck up to East Fork and leave RM's and my truck at Battleship, which will be end ride, I can give you guys a lift at the end of the ride. Either way we need have at least one vehicle capable of carrying multiple bikes/passengers waiting at Battleship.

This would require less driving on my part and I could potentially be at the TH at 8:30-8:45.

I've got a Honda Pilot and just picked up a quad rack, which means 5+ bikes with bunjees!!

banned
    Sep 2005
    I've got a Honda Pilot and just picked up a quad rack, which means 5+ bikes with bunjees!!
    As long as Von doesn't mind giving me a ride to my truck afterwards, we are still golden RCC is coming as well, but he can wait for me to return to Battleship with my truck.

So, new plan! I will most likely be at the Battleship TH at or near 8:30am, are we good to go at that time?

mtbr member
    As long as Von doesn't mind giving me a ride to my truck afterwards, we are still golden RCC is coming as well, but he can wait for me to return to Battleship with my truck.

So, new plan! I will most likely be at the Battleship TH at or near 8:30am, are we good to go at that time?
    Yo...can do on the ride to your truck afterwards. And...I changed my roof rack and can carry two bikes with 20mm TA, now.

RCC in too...great. I'll be at Battleship at 8:30.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Where can we camp with Water, Showers, etc.?

Centrally located to the rides in question?

Would like to set up "Base Camp" somewhere on Wed AM when we arrive.

No way any y'all would wanna ride if we go primative and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get the funk out of the sleeping bags!

Nutrition for elevation riding?

This will sound like a personal question but do y'all double bladder?

Someone at lunch today said on the longer rides, plan to pack to be comfy over night, should the $hit hit the fan.....

Trying to be a boy scout and prepare and all.

banned
    Sep 2005

damn kids...

nevermind, I am an idiot. I must have been very tired last night.
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 07-09-2008 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    You posted this at 8pm on Wednesday, your a little late if you were looking to pitch a tent this morning.

Good luck though. See ya in the mornin'.
    Dude...it's next Thursday. Not tomorrow. I left a message on your cell and am posting here hopin you don't show up tomorrow when no one else will be there.

banned
    Sep 2005

oopps!

Dude...it's next Thursday. Not tomorrow. I left a message on your cell and am posting here hopin you don't show up tomorrow when no one else will be there.
    Got it!

I had it in my head that everything was taking place tomorrow. I may have to reevaluate this plan next week

Single Speed Junkie
    Battleship TH at or near 8:30am
    Damn kids,

TH @ 8:30 I'll be prepping for a mtg.

mtbr member
    Centrally located to the rides in question?

Would like to set up "Base Camp" somewhere on Wed AM when we arrive.

No way any y'all would wanna ride if we go primative and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get the funk out of the sleeping bags!

Nutrition for elevation riding?

This will sound like a personal question but do y'all double bladder?

Someone at lunch today said on the longer rides, plan to pack to be comfy over night, should the $hit hit the fan.....

Trying to be a boy scout and prepare and all.
    I don't know camp sites very well since I live here and all these rides are a short drive. Pacheco doesn't have showers. The other places I can think of offhand don't either. Check the Santa Fe National Forest web site http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/recreation/camping.html

Another centrally located option would be Buffalo Thunder Casino...you might be able to get a sweet room there for a reasonable price. It's 20 min north of Santa Fe, 20 mins East of Los Alamos and about 45 mins south of Taos. They have showers...so solves that problem.
    Buffalo Thunder

Nutrition at elevation....hmm I ate a breakfast burrito last week on the Medio Dia ride. Probably not the best person to ask, actually. I usually have a number of goo packets in case I start to bonk.

I doubt you'll need two bladders. The temperatures in the mountains rarely hits 80, so you don't sweat like you do in Texas. Add in the altitude and you probably won't be able to ride the distances here that you do in Texas. So a single 80-100 oz bladder is sufficient for most rides. If you think you're going to be doing some 30-40 mile rides with several thousand feet of climbing, you might want to bring more than that.

In my pack, I carry a light weight rain jacket and leg and arm warmers and a solar blanket. The jacket is all I ever use.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Good job! The gameplan for the trip.....

Ok, so we're staying at Hyde Memorial Wed-Sat AM

riding the following (open to change as needed)

Wed: Dale Ball after we arrive and sleep
    Wed PM? Chamisa Night ride?

Thurs: Battleship
    Thurs PM? night ride?

Friday: South Boundary
    Fri PM? night ride?

Sat: Winsor? and/or REM, Guaje? (how does one set up a shuttle? Call a local place or what?)

Sun: Sandia trails??? (who wants to lead an early ride?)

Where to camp in ABQ? Any recommendations?

Thanks for all the GREAT information gang! We're printing off what we can and will coordinate with folks. Check yer PMs.

See you in a few days!

Erik

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Wed: Try shuttling REM instead.

Thurs.: I can make the Battleship ride.

Friday: Head over to LA and hit the Guaje Epic

Saturday: Ride with the Bandoleros ( route to be determined )
    You and Von still on for Thurs?
    Directions from Hyde Memorial?

South Boundary Fri? Greg?

Saturday? Winsor and REM?

Sun?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Directions from Hyde Memorial?

South Boundary Fri? Greg?

Saturday? Winsor and REM?

Sun?

Catch 285 to Los Alamos and follow the Map. Thats St Francis Dr if you are in town.

mtbr member
    Yea, I am still going. Haven't hit East Fork all year and am completely ashamed of myself.

East Fork parking lot at 8:30 is still my plan. Bryan...well he's still trying to sort out the days of the week. Hey Bryan...it's THIS Thursday. No need to worry about urgent calls from me late at night this time around.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I'll be there.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Change of Plans......

Hyde is booked ...Doh!
    So we need to find some place to camp.

So we're going to hit ABQ and camp at Cedro then Stay in ABQ and Santa Fe, ditching the trek up to Taos for SBT. (Sorry Greg).

Wed: Cedro

Would like to get in Windsor/REM, Sandia trails, Otero some foothills stuff.

Sorry, better to just get to the area and plan accordingly.
    Planning from afar, is a tad difficult, when I don't know the area or where I can get in.

Doing too much at work isn't fun either. The Net Nazis are clockin me.

See you all this weekend!
    For all the people I have numbers for, I'll get in touch with you guys.

I'll check back on here in a bit, from home before we leave.

banned
    Sep 2005

More like it.....

Hyde is booked ...Doh!
    So we need to find some place to camp.

So we're going to hit ABQ and camp at Cedro then Stay in ABQ and Santa Fe, ditching the trek up to Taos for SBT. (Sorry Greg).

Wed: Cedro

Would like to get in Windsor/REM, Sandia trails, Otero some foothills stuff.

Sorry, better to just get to the area and plan accordingly.
    Planning from afar, is a tad difficult, when I don't know the area or where I can get in.

Doing too much at work isn't fun either. The Net Nazis are clockin me.

See you all this weekend!
    For all the people I have numbers for, I'll get in touch with you guys.

I'll check back on here in a bit, from home before we leave.
    I can hook up with a Sandia Shuttle 10k to Doc long maybe midday on Wed.

Maybe we could hit some shuttles on North on Friday if you stick around.... or you could head over to SF Thursday (after Battleship), ride DB etc on Friday, and then it sounds like knob is ready for REM (again) on Saturday

Sunday, since you will be heading South, you will probably want to hit White Mesa. notaknob or StuNM live close enough that they may want to ride as well. WM has awesome views and has really cool geological features.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    packed up and heading that way.

See you all in a few hours/days!

Very excited!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0