Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

New question here. Coming from Austin for a few days...where to ride in your great state?

Hey all!

A buddy (maybe a few) and I are planning a riding trip to NM and wanted to get some feedback and ideas.

We're all from Austin and ride pretty much everything here, some places better than others

Heading to Toas, SantaFe area or wherever.
    Kinda our pre-Moab/Fruita ride (that trip is in Sept/Oct!!).

I've heard and seen good stuff in Gallup, NM
    That looks fun.

and heard good stuff about Santa Fe.
    Found some online trail guides

Sooo much to pick from. Help a brotha out.

We're coming up Wed 7/16 and returning Sun 7/20.

Any recommendations of what to ride and/or what to avoid would be great.

We'll probably camp too, wherever we go.

Thanks in advance!
    Erik

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey - local austinite here and this is one of my NM destinations that I have bookmarked:
    Battleship

Bandolero

Two things

Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    Hey all!

A buddy (maybe a few) and I are planning a riding trip to NM and wanted to get some feedback and ideas.

We're coming up Wed 7/16 and returning Sun 7/20.

Any recommendations of what to ride and/or what to avoid would be great.

We'll probably camp too, wherever we go.
    Avoid: Trees, cacti and bathing in the outdoors.
    Recommend: Pajarito

The origins of pukemaster's travels in NM are a good place to start. He didn't get up north to the Taos, but that there was snow up there then.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=notaknob]Avoid: Trees, cacti and bathing in the outdoors.
    WOW! That is crazy stuff. Do you think he could of fought back if he hadn't left his teeth on the kitchen table? Man... crazy. Is that for real? What if the brother killed him.

saddlemeat

Gallup

The Zuni Mountains near Gallup are a good bet right now. It's green and lush and cool. Nights are still pretty cold, 40s, so bring warm hang out clothing. Fire restrictions don't permit campfires, but propane is ok. The McGaffey area has had intersection map/signs and route markers installed on much of the system, so making sense of the trails will be easier. There are developed campgrounds, but you can camp anywhere along the various side roads also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    [QUOTE=SSweetleaf]
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Avoid: Trees, cacti and bathing in the outdoors.
    WOW! That is crazy stuff. Do you think he could of fought back if he hadn't left his teeth on the kitchen table? Man... crazy. Is that for real? What if the brother killed him.

Looks like he paid the price for hunting the ultimate prey. Killer killed

Thread Pollution
    I would avoid the whole state ,there really isn't much riding around here except for dirt roads and dark alley's

mtbr member
    pukemaster's travels in NM are a good place to start.
    Yep, pukemaster did a good job of sampling the various trails in the Abq, Santa Fe, Los Alamos areas. He posted up some trail reviews on an east coast bike site. It's a good place to start. http://www.bikerag.com/bike_trail_maps_text_nm.htm He didn't hit up Taos, Gallup, or areas south of Abq. Las Cruces, Socorro, and some of those areas have fine riding and would be closer to Austin. I'm no expert on trails that far down, though.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Thread Pollution
    a good ride
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by makachut
    a good ride
    is that an offer?

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Elevation question?

So coming from Austin, TX to Taos, Santa Fe and ABQ, is it better to start our selections of rides in smaller elevation (ABQ) and work your way up (Taos) or just go to Taos and work our way down?

Thanks!
    Erik

crap magnet

Camping

Good camping at Hyde Park or Black Canyon Campground above Santa Fe towards the ski basin. You can make online reservations and I think its 10 bucks or so per night. If your looking for free there are some nice spots up Pacheco Canyon. TONS of good riding from either area and you can pedal to the trails from your campsite.

Here's a link to Hyde Memorial State Park reservations.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/Hyde.htm

If I'm free I'd be happy to show you around some of the goods here in Santa Fe but be forwarned I'm originally from Ann Arbor.

Go Blue!
    Last edited by cdaddy; 07-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I'd say start in Abq and work your way up seems to me to be the easier way to go. You won't get adjusted to the altitude over a short trip, but no sense making yourself puke the first day. Start a little lower and get an idea of what your body will do there should allow you to scale your next higher elevation rides to your appropriate oxygen-deprived endurance level.

Keep in mind that many of the rides around Abq are currently closed due to drought conditions. Don't remember when you're coming out, but you might not be able to ride Abq if they don't get some decent rains.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by cdaddy
    Good camping at Hyde Park or Black Canyon Campground above Santa Fe towards the ski basin. You can make online reservations and I think its 10 bucks or so per night. If your looking for free there are some nice spots up Pacheco Canyon. TONS of good riding from either area and you can pedal to the trails from your campsite.

Here's a link to Hyde Memorial State Park reservations.

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/Hyde.htm

If I'm free I'd be happy to show you around some of the goods here in Santa Fe but be forwarned I'm originally from Ann Arbor.

Go Blue!
    Cool, we're still planing out the trip. Would love a local guide.
    I'll PM ya with details when we have more. I bought a trail book for Northern NM and went thru the 45 or so named trails and picked out of few we'd like to try.
    Good to know ABQ is off the list. So we'll be in Santa Fe and Taos then.

We leave here next week, Tues, should arrive afternoon Wed. The plan was to ride in the afternoon, but I guess it will be to avoid lightning.

What about night rides?

I grew up in Ann Arbor too for 7 years. I didn't tell many people at Ohio State that

Yes, we'll start super early.
    We're on CST which will help and I have 2 kids, so I'm used to being up at 6am, 5am your time.
    We will definitely plan rides accordingly.

Going to try Sandia on Friday. That looks fun!

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

No good

Recommend: Pajarito
    wow, we don't have stuff like that here, and I'm not sure my balls will be big enough to try that kinda stuff. I have the gear and the bike for it. Looks like a ton of fun but also a quick "vacation ender"

mtbr member
    I think you could spend your entire time in just Santa Fe or just Taos and be happy with the trail selections and never bother leaving to try another location. Not knowing what you like to do, though, I'll just throw out some trail names off the top of my head that might interest you. They're all near SF or Taos...at least wint an hour or so. Type the name into the MTBR search on NM and see if that's a trail you might like. Many are not in the Mountain Biking guide to NNM, though.

Trails South of Santa Fe that might interest you and are lower elevation:
    White Mesa - Just outside San Ysidro.
    Medio Dia - Between Cochiti and Los Alamos, a short jaunt off 25 on the way to Santa Fe
    (neither trail can be found in the guide book)

Santa Fe area
    Dale Ball Trails - Some of these are in the guide book and they're not on the ridgelines.
    Winsor - Classic 'downhill' Santa Fe ride. In guide book and can be shuttled. If you choose to climb it, bring an extra lung and some major fuel for the legs.
    Rio En Medio - Not in Guide book. Great/scenic ride and can be done as a loop by riding up Pacheco canyon.
    Umm...I'm dodgy on SF. I ride occasionally there but not indepth info like other SF guys here.

Taos
    South Boundary - Arguably the most famous ride in NM. It's in the guidebook.
    See if you can get Greg de Taos to chime in--Taos local that knows those trails. I'm really not a great source of Taos info.

Other trails that are nearby and might be of interest but not in the book:
    (1)Look up threads on GITA (Gaspin' in the Aspens). They're informally-organized bike festivals near Santa Fe/Taos and are good overviews of some beautiful rides.
    (2) East Fork/Battleship - about 20 minutes W of Los Alamos. Awesome ride.
    (3) Guaje Ridge - Long technical single track ride in Los alamos.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Our/my first trip up to elevation riding. Preamble to going to Moab/Fruita in Sept/Oct....

Can't wait to come check it out. THanks for the heads up on trails.
    That makes our decisions even more difficult

Being that I'm 6'6" and 260 lbs, I usually hang in the Clydesdale forum unless I'm going on a trip and then post up and ask around.

Love living in Austin, TX. Great biking, not the views or distances, but the trails here are awesome. Check out Austinbike's site. http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp
    for view of the local and not so local trails in the area.

Been on 2 trips to Palo Duro Canyon. Reviewed on John's website.

Pics of my rig and of me riding in Palo Duro Canyon in a 29er thread (yep looking at going big wheeled)

Pics from our trip from Austin to Oil City, PA with stops in TN, OH, PA and KY

So l like the single track, not a fan of huge climbs, but am getting better. At my size I like the DH stuff and will jump off stuff on occasion

Looking forward to another out of state trip and ride.
    From everything I've read, heard, and seen online it sounds like beautiful country and riding.

Any tour guides available next week?

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    I think you could spend your entire time in just Santa Fe or just Taos and be happy with the trail selections and never bother leaving to try another location. Not knowing what you like to do, though, I'll just throw out some trail names off the top of my head that might interest you. They're all near SF or Taos...at least wint an hour or so. Type the name into the MTBR search on NM and see if that's a trail you might like. Many are not in the Mountain Biking guide to NNM, though.

Trails South of Santa Fe that might interest you and are lower elevation:
    White Mesa - Just outside San Ysidro.
    Medio Dia - Between Cochiti and Los Alamos, a short jaunt off 25 on the way to Santa Fe
    (neither trail can be found in the guide book)

Santa Fe area
    Dale Ball Trails - Some of these are in the guide book and they're not on the ridgelines.
    Winsor - Classic 'downhill' Santa Fe ride. In guide book and can be shuttled. If you choose to climb it, bring an extra lung and some major fuel for the legs.
    Rio En Medio - Not in Guide book. Great/scenic ride and can be done as a loop by riding up Pacheco canyon.
    Umm...I'm dodgy on SF. I ride occasionally there but not indepth info like other SF guys here.

Taos
    South Boundary - Arguably the most famous ride in NM. It's in the guidebook.
    See if you can get Greg de Taos to chime in--Taos local that knows those trails. I'm really not a great source of Taos info.

Other trails that are nearby and might be of interest but not in the book:
    (1)Look up threads on GITA (Gaspin' in the Aspens). They're informally-organized bike festivals near Santa Fe/Taos and are good overviews of some beautiful rides.
    (2) East Fork/Battleship - about 20 minutes W of Los Alamos. Awesome ride.
    (3) Guaje Ridge - Long technical single track ride in Los alamos.
    Battle ship looks damn fun!!!
    We have South Boundry on the schedule Sandia is closed so that opens a day for us.
    You riding next week?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    Battle ship looks damn fun!!!
    We have South Boundry on the schedule Sandia is closed so that opens a day for us.
    You riding next week?
    Oh, aye...I'll be riding most days next week. I can't ride on Friday, the 18th...it's my wee daughter's birthday. Otherwise, if you want to head out Los Alamos way, I'd be down for East Fork or any other rides in these parts. Whee! I could even be convinced to shuttle it for some Austin folk. I'm a grad of UT (94).

Umm...and those rumors about flatlanders and MTBNate aren't true.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    Oh, aye...I'll be riding most days next week. I can't ride on Friday, the 18th...it's my wee daughter's birthday. Otherwise, if you want to head out Los Alamos way, I'd be down for East Fork or any other rides in these parts. Whee! I could even be convinced to shuttle it for some Austin folk. I'm a grad of UT (94).

Umm...and those rumors about flatlanders and MTBNate aren't true.
    After the pictures of Battleship, that will for sure be a ride (need to cofirm with the other 2-3 guys). What about Thurs?
    (not sure when we get in on Wed, depends how far we get Tues PM after packing, shopping and rolling out after work) . Figure Windsor would be best bet since it's all or mostly down. Hopefully the rain holds off.....

How are these for rides?
    Can/should we plan for afternoon rides?

What can we double up on?

Wed PM?? Windsor shuttled? 10 mi down baby! No rain please!
    Wed Night Ride: Chamisa Trail Loop? 8.6 mi

Thurs? Battleship? (is this an all day event or do we need a 2nd destination)
    Thurs Night: ?? suggestions?

Fri: Glorieta Mesa and Baldy?
    Fri Night: ?? suggestions?

Sat: South Boundry (since that's Taos, with the biggest elevation place.)

Sun: Something super early and not killer. Need to be packed and on the roady home by 11am

banned

sounds pretty good...

Wed: Try shuttling REM instead.

Thurs.: I can make the Battleship ride.

Friday: Head over to LA and hit the Guaje Epic

Saturday: Ride with the Bandoleros ( route to be determined )

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

you don't say...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Wed: Try shuttling REM instead. <== REM? Rio En Medio?

Thurs.: I can make the Battleship ride. SWEET! What else to do that day? Winsor downhill funness?

Friday: Head over to LA and hit the Guaje Epic <== que es esto? better than Glorieta Mesa and Baldy? Painful, views? Downhill?
    Saturday: Ride with the Bandoleros ( route to be determined ) ,<== and skip the South boundary trail?
    see red above

banned
    I should have said....OR....

If it were me, these are the rides that I would pick.

Rio En Medio would be a great shuttle, but you will need two vehicles and it is tougher to navigate than Winsor. More technical and better scenery/landscape, plus not near as crowded. Think waterfalls and cool running streams.

Thursday, no worries. I know the route and depending on your condition and saddle time, the Winsor shuttle is a good option if you still have the legs.

Friday at Guaje might be pushing it but it is worth the pain if you can hang. I think Von said that he was busy this Friday and you definitely would need a guide for that one. If you can work it out it is worth the trip up there. If not then Glorieta/Baldy is a good option before you hook up with us on Saturday.

Saturday if you choose to ride with us, we can take into account the rides that you have done already and schedule accordingly....hmmmm....maybe shuttles on REM.....

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I should have said....OR....

If it were me, these are the rides that I would pick.

Rio En Medio would be a great shuttle, but you will need two vehicles and it is tougher to navigate than Winsor. More technical and better scenery/landscape, plus not near as crowded. Think waterfalls and cool running streams.

Thursday, no worries. I know the route and depending on your condition and saddle time, the Winsor shuttle is a good option if you still have the legs.

Friday at Guaje might be pushing it but it is worth the pain if you can hang. I think Von said that he was busy this Friday and you definitely would need a guide for that one. If you can work it out it is worth the trip up there. If not then Glorieta/Baldy is a good option before you hook up with us on Saturday.

Saturday if you choose to ride with us, we can take into account the rides that you have done already and schedule accordingly....hmmmm....maybe shuttles on REM.....
    What would be a quick hit for Wed to get in a ride before the rains come mid/late afternoon? Are there places or people that shuttle at REM? Bike shops or whatever?

Just 3 of us right now, 1 car, with a quad rack.

Can we do south boundary and something else on top of that on Saturday? Since it's mostly downhill and all haha.

We will have cameras in tow.

I'll send ya a PM with contact information.

crap magnet
    If your rolling into town Wednesday, shuttling REM might be a bit ambitious. A good, quick (2-3hr) lower elevation ride would be the Dale Ball System just east of downtown SF.

DB Central and North sections less technical/steep. South more technical with lots of steep climbs.
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4565crx.aspx

No formal shuttles for REM but getting to the trailhead from your car isn't too difficult. Primarily forest road with a mile of asphalt tossed in at the beginning. Maybe a total of 7 or 8 miles with 2000' elevation gain to get to good stuff.
    Last edited by cdaddy; 07-08-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast