Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coffe thread

mtbr member

Coffe thread

I posted in general but ill repost here so we can talk about pinon coffee together

All things coffee...

I love coffee with all my heart, I created this thread to catch my overflowing passion. All things coffee related belong in this thread, even the expensive cat **** coffee.

For the First post I want to share 2 unconventional methods of preparing coffee. Neither way needs a specific roast so use what ever you got.

Up first is Turkish coffee.

Your gonna need a cezve clean stove optional
     photo 0315141913a.jpg

fill 1/3 with water and add 2 spoons(small) of ground coffee. The coffee needs to be ground down as fine as flour. I tried my best but a regular electric grinder wont do it. supposedly a 60 dollar hand grinder can get it.

photo 0315141915.jpg

Then add some spices. there's lots of variations some times i dont add anything but when you do add spices you are taking advantage of the preparation and will end up with a really unique coffee that cant be made by other methods. So put the damn spices in heavy dash of each works good.

photo 0315141916.jpg

photo 0315141916a.jpg

add some sugar(or not)

With all the junk in there mix it up real good. No dry clumps cause they'll fk sh!t up

photo 0315141917a.jpg

After all the powders are mixed in real good add more water but don't fill it up all the way. You want about a 1/2 inch of room to work with.

Now put it on a LOW heat. This is important cause if you boil it then the flavor will get ruined and so will the foam.

photo 0315141920b.jpg

So now with the low fire heating it up you got to pay close attention to the bubbles. the coffee will foam up and over flow if your not watching.

Once it "lifts" take it off the heat and let it set. You are gonna want the particles to sink to the bottom.

Then pour that bad boy slowly into your favorite mug or demitasse. I put some cold milk in the bottom of mine. It's not my favorite way but its the way i was doing it when i took the pictures. I think the cinnamon and cloves are all you need, also serve it in the smallest cup you got.

photo 0315141940.jpg

As I said above there's a lot of variation to be had. So get creative and experiment with different spices sugar etc. The most important step is the slow heating and pouring in the cup slow. Don't forget that there will always be grounds in the bottom of your cup so don't try and shoot it down your throat. Supposedly you can read your fortune from the mud at the bottom of the cup. Just look at it and make something up and that's your fortune

Second method

This is a coffee drink that seems like a joke. It's not but I wouldn't blame anyone if they cross referenced it to see if I'm making stuff up. I know it's kind of crazy sounding.

If your still on board then listen up cause this is a high powered coffee drink. It will wake you up, dilate those pupils, and get you pedaling faster. All that good sh!t.

First, brew a normal pot of coffee. Once again, beans and roast don't matter. If you want to drink Folgers that's fine I drink it too sometimes but if I'm buying beans then I'm buying something good and not pre-ground in a plastic can.

photo 03161408551.jpg

So now that you got your pot of coffee brewed your gonna need a blender coconut oil and unsalted butter ( stay with me its good I swear)

Use a top of the line blender for best results

photo 03211422041.jpg

grab that coconut oil 2 fat spoons please

photo 0316140855a1.jpg

add 2 table spoons of butter

photo 03211422061.jpg

then add 2 cups or so of your favorite coffee

blend it up real good so the fat oils will emulsify. It makes make a really good creamy drink

photo 03211422081.jpg

photo 03211422121.jpg

Now enjoy. It's an energy drink of sorts. I always drink 2 big cups before all day epics. The fats digest slow and do some cool nutritional stuff that I don't understand but trust me, it works good! ...

The drink also works wonders for date nights if you want to be "Strong Like Bull"

So there's the first post of my coffee thread I'll be back with more. I love coffee too much for it to end anytime soon. Cowboy coffee and MRE coffee trick nothing is off limits. I'm no coffee snob I'm a coffee $lut

mtbr member
    I'm in the midst of installing one of these at Red Rock Roasters

It was bought used from the UK and the electricity drives on the wrong side of the road (415v/50hz), so it takes a lot of pricey gear to get from 220v/60hz to there, at the power levels that machine uses.

Anyhoo, the place smells wonderful.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    I'm in the midst of installing one of these at Red Rock Roasters

It was bought used from the UK and the electricity drives on the wrong side of the road (415v/50hz), so it takes a lot of pricey gear to get from 220v/60hz to there, at the power levels that machine uses.

Anyhoo, the place smells wonderful.
    That looks like something I saw at my Dr Office.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

but i want to ride now
    I must say, I like the way this thread is headed...

I use an Aeropress for my desk at school since it is small and easy to clean. Right now I'm brewing some stuff from Handsome Coffee Roasters, from L.A. Anyway, cool tips, Fuglio.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    espresso

You don't need an expensive counter top machine to make good espresso at home. I actually prefer the coffee made from these simple inexpensive stove top boilers. It gives you control over the heat so you can vary the time the water is in contact with the grounds.

The set up cost me 5 bucks at an indoor flea market. A top to catch the coffee a bottom to fill with water and the center piece to hold the grounds.

photo 0322141000a-1.jpg

Fill the bottom with water and leave room to put the grounds holder in.

photo 0322141027.jpg

Place the holder in the bottom and add the grounds. Be careful not to over fill it. The boiling water needs to pass through there's a blow off valve on the sides of these things and I'm glad they work but its still loud and scary when the aluminum container filled with boiling water blows a valve on the stove. Ive learned my lesson and don't pack the bowl so tight any more.

photo 0322141029.jpg

Screw the top on tight and put it on a low heat

photo 0322141006b.jpg

Then wait for the love to flow

photo 0322141007c.jpg

Now enjoy. It makes a strong cup with a more aggressive taste then the turkish method.

photo 0322141010b.jpg

This is my go to style if i want to sip some dark coffee and relax. it never makes a bad cup, unless it explodes

mtbr member
    Etheopian Yirgacheffe ground with a burr grinder then into an Aeropress for solo or French press for me and the wife.

No pics.

<><
    Fuglio, I tried the "Second Method" in your OP and all I can say is "Wow." So much more energy after 4-5 hours of sleep last night and no foggy brain.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    espresso

You don't need an expensive counter top machine to make good espresso at home. I actually prefer the coffee made from these simple inexpensive stove top boilers. It gives you control over the heat so you can vary the time the water is in contact with the grounds.

The set up cost me 5 bucks at an indoor flea market. A top to catch the coffee a bottom to fill with water and the center piece to hold the grounds.

photo 0322141000a-1.jpg

Fill the bottom with water and leave room to put the grounds holder in.

photo 0322141027.jpg

Place the holder in the bottom and add the grounds. Be careful not to over fill it. The boiling water needs to pass through there's a blow off valve on the sides of these things and I'm glad they work but its still loud and scary when the aluminum container filled with boiling water blows a valve on the stove. Ive learned my lesson and don't pack the bowl so tight any more.

photo 0322141029.jpg

Screw the top on tight and put it on a low heat

photo 0322141006b.jpg

Then wait for the love to flow

photo 0322141007c.jpg

Now enjoy. It makes a strong cup with a more aggressive taste then the turkish method.

photo 0322141010b.jpg

This is my go to style if i want to sip some dark coffee and relax. it never makes a bad cup, unless it explodes
    I've got the camping equivalent to this espresso maker. Beyond regular espresso, a little condensed milk heated to the scalding point (maybe 2 parts coffee to 1 part milk) makes a pretty good Café Con Leche. In the summer (if you're not trying to warm up after a night in a sleeping bag) a little sweetened condensed milk (same ratio) and poured over ice makes a pretty good Vietnamese Coffee. As far as making Turkish or Greek Coffee, my best advice is to use a nut-press plate on a meat grinder. It will turn almonds or peanuts to paste and coffee into a pretty fine mash.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I've got the camping equivalent to this espresso maker. Beyond regular espresso, a little condensed milk heated to the scalding point (maybe 2 parts coffee to 1 part milk) makes a pretty good Café Con Leche. In the summer (if you're not trying to warm up after a night in a sleeping bag) a little sweetened condensed milk (same ratio) and poured over ice makes a pretty good Vietnamese Coffee. As far as making Turkish or Greek Coffee, my best advice is to use a nut-press plate on a meat grinder. It will turn almonds or peanuts to paste and coffee into a pretty fine mash.

Vietnamese coffee is one of my favorites. The coffee has a tendency to get interesting while camping. While at moab I went the NesCaffe and boiled water rote. Tastes like ass but you can make it strong enough so 1 large cup will keep the withdraw head aches away

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbici View Post
    Fuglio, I tried the "Second Method" in your OP and all I can say is "Wow." So much more energy after 4-5 hours of sleep last night and no foggy brain.
    Its awesome, once your body adjusts to the oils you can pack in a lot more butter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    I must say, I like the way this thread is headed...

I use an Aeropress for my desk at school since it is small and easy to clean. Right now I'm brewing some stuff from Handsome Coffee Roasters, from L.A. Anyway, cool tips, Fuglio.
    Where did you get the aeropress from? How do you like it

mtbr member
    Where did you get the aeropress from? How do you like it
    Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

Makes an awesome cup of coffee.

but i want to ride now
    One place that I've seen it locally is at Michael Thomas Coffee on Carlisle. Chemex is another great bet for a quick cup, which Now We're Cooking has.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Any coffee I grind myself is fine, but the K-cup is the end of civilization as we know it.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I think it's odd that they make a filter basket for the Keurig coffee maker. Eventually it will remorph into an espresso maker.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I think it's odd that they make a filter basket for the Keurig coffee maker. Eventually it will remorph into an espresso maker.
    My parent's tried to give me thier old one and i wouldn't take it. One of those things i like for other people to have but would never want to own, like a hot tub

Genius
    I would like to try method #2 but I am allergic to coconuts.... what substitution would you recommend for the coconut oil?
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    This is a coffee drink that seems like a joke. It's not but I wouldn't blame anyone if they cross referenced it to see if I'm making stuff up. I know it's kind of crazy sounding.

If your still on board then listen up cause this is a high powered coffee drink. It will wake you up, dilate those pupils, and get you pedaling faster. All that good sh!
    So now that you got your pot of coffee brewed your gonna need a blender coconut oil and unsalted butter ( stay with me its good I swear)

blend it up real good so the fat oils will emulsify. It makes make a really good creamy drink

photo 03211422081.jpg

photo 03211422121.jpg

Now enjoy. It's an energy drink of sorts. I always drink 2 big cups before all day epics. The fats digest slow and do some cool nutritional stuff that I don't understand but trust me, it works good! ...

The drink also works wonders for date nights if you want to be "Strong Like Bull"

So there's the first post of my coffee thread I'll be back with more. I love coffee too much for it to end anytime soon. Cowboy coffee and MRE coffee trick nothing is off limits. I'm no coffee snob I'm a coffee $lut
    I love this ["Bulletproof"]coffee on an empty stomach and for a little bit of extra sweetness I add about a teaspoon of honey. Talk about a head/body buzz...and takes care of hunger for a good 4 hours.

Your first recipe sounds like a lot of labor...I imagine it would taste a bit like Chai tea?? I can hardly wait the 4-5 minutes for my french press to steep so I doubt I'll be trying it soon; but thanks for sharing anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    I would like to try method #2 but I am allergic to coconuts.... what substitution would you recommend for the coconut oil?
    The coconut oil is actually the cruder way of infusing your bulletproof coffee with medium chain triglycerides...which are a type of fat that is easily converted for energy and your brain likes it.

They have a product that will give you pure MCT oil: https://www.onnit.com/bulletproof-mct-oil/

Hopefully that will work for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    I love this ["Bulletproof"]coffee on an empty stomach and for a little bit of extra sweetness I add about a teaspoon of honey. Talk about a head/body buzz...and takes care of hunger for a good 4 hours.

Your first recipe sounds like a lot of labor...I imagine it would taste a bit like Chai tea?? I can hardly wait the 4-5 minutes for my french press to steep so I doubt I'll be trying it soon; but thanks for sharing anyway.
    The first one is alot like chai. Its alot of effort. Nothing gets used more then the good ole perculator. Its not sexy but it makes 12 cups at a time and is very easy to clean up. I recently got a siphon brewer wich has a nice convenience to quality ratio. Once the honey moon is over who knows how often Ill use it.

mtbr member
    This thing is awesome. It looks cool it's fun to use and the coffee is awesome.

The biggest difference between this brewer and traditional methods is the lack of a paper filter. Because there isnt a paper filter you keep all the oils in the brew. What separates this guy from a french press is that it can use a fine grind without leaving bean particles all over your teeth.

This thing gives you total control over the cup of coffee you want.

The brewer is basically 2 glass bowls It looks more like a meth lab then a coffee pot. Definitely gets extra points for that.

photo 0324141920a.jpg

The bottom half gets filled with water the top half is where the grounds go.

A clever plastic filter keeps the dredge out and is easy to clean.

photo 0324141919a.jpg

The filter connects to the top with a hook and spring

photo 0324141920.jpg

Put the same amount of grinds you would use in a regular brewer. It can vary depending on the next steps.

photo 0324141924.jpg

Set the heat on high and wait for the water to soak the grounds

photo 0324141928.jpg

now mix it up so all the grounds are evenly soaked and it will look like this.

photo 0324141929a.jpg

The part that gives you control is the stirring of the grounds and removing the pot from the flame. You can time the duration that the grounds steep pretty accurately. So between the grind you use, the amount of beans, and the steeping process, you got real good control over your brew.

*You can simply remove the pot from the flame when the water at the bottom boils if you don't want to mess with stirring or timing.

photo 0324141930a.jpg

Once removed from the flame the coffee gets sucked back down into the bottom.

photo 0324141931.jpg

This guy brews thick full flavored coffee.

photo 0324141947a.jpg

All the pieces are removable and its fast to hand wash. It even came with a stand for the top bowl. The next test is to bring it camping to test its durability.

photo 0324141917a.jpg

I have to say this is my favorite coffee pot I've owned so far. I'm looking forward to shopping around town for some different beans to see how it can handle light roasts and extra dark ones.

mtbr member
    So what's it called? ...and how much should I expect to pay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    So what's it called? ...and how much should I expect to pay?
    Its called a stovetop vacuum coffee maker and it was77 bucks at grand cusine in uptown

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Coffe thread

I use the stove top espresso maker or a French press. The espresso contraption I serve up like americanos and it makes even the worst quality coffee delicious. The French press is for when I want to make a bigger pot. Took a little time to find the optimal grinds for each but I seem to have it dialed in now. The espresso maker does better with a grind that is coarser than a steam driven one. But not too coarse.

mtbr member
    Bulletproof Coffee is good stuff. (Dave Asprey is a tool though). I buy decent coffee, use Kerrygold butter and organic extra virgin coconut oil. Whip it up in my blender and I'm good to go for HOURS. I usually have two eggs for breakfast with my Bulletproof Coffee and I'm not hungry until about 5pm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast