mtbr member

Central/Northern NM trail advice

My husband and I are headed to the Cruces area to visit with family this weekend (Aug. 23-24), then we are headed north with about 6 days to burn.

I checked out your Visitors thread so I have thoughts about riding White Mesa and possibly Cedro/Otero and Pajarito....but we're open to suggestions and would really appreciate the locals/insiders scoop on the best single track to ride. Also, we are traveling in a small RV with our dog (son) so any recommendations on trails where we can camp at or near the trail head would be great.

We are both pretty decent riders and we race in the TMBRA sport class. And, I noticed that most of you are willing/able to be trail guides...so are any of your free for those days?

~Moni & Joe

mtbr member
    You might check out the following threads by Pukemaster. He's an east coast based rider that came out in May and rode a number of trails around Abq, Santa Fe, and Los Alamos. He took lots of good photos and wrote some nice reviews:

Battleship Rock (East Fork)

Quemazon/Guaje Ridge

Otero

Bikerag--some reviews he posted up on an east coast bike site of the trails he hit and their locations.

Couple other suggestions just off the top of my head. First, there are some pretty cool trails in Cruces, so you should try to hit those up. Look for posts by LCDaveH, he's the local expert on Cruces trails (maybe you found those in the visitor post). Might consider the Gallup trails...the high desert trail system (I think it's called) is supposed to be an epic adventure.

Keep in mind that Pajarito only opens the lifts every other weekend. Currently Aug 16-17 and Aug 30. The area is open even when the lifts aren't running if you don't mind riding to the top. If you decide to come to Los Alamos, I can give you some more info and perhaps hook up for a ride.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member

thanks!

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm looking forward to the trip.

I grew up in NM but hadn't discovered the FUN of cross country. I'm going to have to take many trips back to NM to make up for lost time!

Take care,
    Moni

cantankerous crank
    Jun 2008
    On the way north there are many trails in the Socorro area, some of which are written up here:
    Socorro Fat Tire Trails

You have your choice of steep and fast in the Magdalenas to mellow and scenic in the San Mateos. The Water Canyon campground is brand new and still free. I so not recommend the lower elevation desert rides here due to heat and bugs this time of year, but I hit the Socorro singletrack (right near town) in the mornings sometimes and it's pleasant until around 10AM.

Have fun!

Dr Gadget is IN
    You don't even need to leave town right away - here's some good LC MTB'n:

http://www.lcrimrattlers.org/Maps.html
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elblat
    On the way north there are many trails in the Socorro area, some of which are written up here:
    Socorro Fat Tire Trails

You have your choice of steep and fast in the Magdalenas to mellow and scenic in the San Mateos. The Water Canyon campground is brand new and still free.
    I'll second the Magdalenas and San Mateos. Trail 13 is in fine shape given the recent rains and the aspens on 25 are cool and green

Quote Originally Posted by elblat
    I so not recommend the lower elevation desert rides here due to heat and bugs this time of year,
    Oh come on it's not even in the 90's and just because you ride in a cloud of flys doesn't mean everyone does. Besides the race course in the Quebradas makes an excellent night ride.

That said, I'll pretty much agree with Elblat ... Socorro has some fine riding this time of year ... even if his favorite trail is the isopods ride.

S
    If we want this sport to be a success, we need more categories. That way everyone can have a medal.

cantankerous crank
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvis
    even if his favorite trail is the isopods ride.
    At least I don't dab on it (the training wheels help).

I think I've tamed all the squirrelyness out of Sam's old Voodoo, shortened the stem by 40mm... gonna hit the Maggies Saturday morning and really heat up the discs for the first time... and see if I remembered to torque those bolts.

PS last night there were two deer on the singletrack.
    Last edited by elblat; 08-22-2008 at 07:00 AM.