Thread: Cedropalooza

Hey, wait up!

Cedropalooza

Ahhh, great ride / much fun

Ummm, does anyone else think that wood bridge is a bit dodgy? When I went over it had one missing slat and the others sounded loose. That would be a harsh place to unexpectedly exit off the trail

Oh, and when the race was over I noticed some cracks on both sides of my top tube about two inches back from the head tube. Rough course, hahah.

.d.

banned

Some Highlights from SuperD

I got spanked! But its A-OK! Great folks and good times indeed. Thanks to all that showed up to watch me get spanked by 'that Woman' The course turned out to be both fun and challenging...and when will I ever again get to line-up next to some of most elite racers NM has to offer? Hats off!

Uh, oh

"I know 'that Woman' is back there somewhere!

Ahh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    Ahhh, great ride / much fun

Ummm, does anyone else think that wood bridge is a bit dodgy? When I went over it had one missing slat and the others sounded loose. That would be a harsh place to unexpectedly exit off the trail

Oh, and when the race was over I noticed some cracks on both sides of my top tube about two inches back from the head tube. Rough course, hahah.

.d.
    The bridge always makes interesting sounds, but I didn't notice a missing slat. However, I do recall thinking that one was a darker color today. I was talking to some motobikers the other day that told me that it used to be a single 2X6, and yes, if your rear tire didn't make it, you rear-endoed into the arroyo. I used to worry all the time about being the first one to go over it after it had been terrorized, but now I just go over it as fast as possible, and I've never stopped to see what was down there, and never will.

I also noticed a couple of cracks after the race, but they were in my skin above my eyebrows. Most likely had something to do with my helmet visor being torn off when I went over the bars at mile one. Boy, did that wake my ass up!

You're right, though, the course can be pretty hard on equipment. I bottomed out my fork so hard once today that I thought I'd lost all the air, but it was functioning perfectly. Kind of hard on the body, too. It's a fastish course, but it'll sneak up and bite you energy-wise. I really hung it out today, but it was worth the result.

I think they did a great job on the course. Always reassuring to see some marshals in tricky places, and it was very well marked. Nice job on the results, too. I think they're starting to get the hang of it.

Always a pleasure to hook up with the racing buddies. What a great bunch! We should do it every weekend - ooops, we are going to, aren't we?

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    The bridge always makes interesting sounds, but I didn't notice a missing slat. However, I do recall thinking that one was a darker color today. ....
    Maybe the missing slat was my delirious imagination.

Bandolero Crew N.M.

Good job! Good times at Cedro

What a good time, and what a bunch of fun people. There were some dang good riders out there Sat and Sun. The times some of the early Pros and experts put in on the XC Race. Wow! those guys can fly. I stuck with the Begginer 50+.I surprised myself and a few other guys as well by taking first. What a hoot! There are some pretty darn good riders in that class. Some gerat guys riding with me yesterday.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52
    What a good time, and what a bunch of fun people. There were some dang good riders out there Sat and Sun. The times some of the early Pros and experts put in on the XC Race. Wow! those guys can fly.

I didn't get to see the sick-fast times for Pro/expert, but did OK with a 1:58 expert course time - good for 2nd place in the 30-39 group, 2 minutes behind the winner. Awesome day out there!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Frames crack on courses like that when the frame has tiny wheels attached to it.

I don't think I have ever ridden a course that was better for big wheels....maybe Coyote/Puzzler....maybe.

If I ever hear you "northerners" complain about El Paso's trails being rocky, I'm going to personally go up there and shove your face into each section where I bottomed out my tire on the rim and make sure the section receives some red caution ink.

Good job on the course marking and flawless finish results...instant. If you really care about time, you'll keep it yourself with your own damn watch, or gps, or HR monitor...

Sorry I couldn't stick around for prizes. See you in Cruces.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    .....and I saw that missing slat too. That bridge would never fly in Canada.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    .... If I ever hear you "northerners" complain about El Paso's trails being rocky ...

I don't think I've heard near as many people complain about El Paso's courses being rocky, as opposed to complaining about El Paso's riders being too damn good at riding rocky courses. Go figure. Rocks for breakfast down south?

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Yep...riding down here sure makes you feel "immune" to rocky trails. I even noticed it when riding with my buddy who lives in Whistler. He's fast, but always slowed down for rocky sections when I kept speed and railed through. Narrow high bridges...now that's a different situation.

Rocks for breakfast....maybe that's why are teeth are so gnarly down here.

http://www.menshealth.com/metrogrades/08_apr_teeth/

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Results are up ...

http://www.mountaintopcycling.com/cedrorace.html

So, I really did shave over 16 minutes off my last year's time (first bike race ever) on what they say is a slightly longer course this year.

I guess it wasn't a dream, just a [SIZE="4"]Zone[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dave H! Way to go, man! 20 minutes faster than last year.

More than a shadow of the rider I hear you really are.
    Could this be the beginning of the end of Mr Niceguy?

Krista
    Apr 2004
    Good pics, fun ride. So did the orange seat markers work? The Gravity Dropper may work better, not as cheap (or light) as your solution though...

banned
    I used to have one, but too gimicky. I agree that it would have come in handy this once. I lost about 5 seconds scrambling with that thing at the hairpin from Upper Gully. All of the practice runs and it never once got hung up on the collar

Congrats on your category win! The competion, if there is any, was tough

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    Dave H! Way to go, man! 20 minutes faster than last year.

More than a shadow of the rider I hear you really are.
    Could this be the beginning of the end of Mr Niceguy?

And I felt sooo much better than last year. I still faded a bit on that climb UP coyote then UP the death hills.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    I don't think I have ever ridden a course that was better for big wheels....maybe Coyote/Puzzler....maybe.
    I was saying the same thing when we finished.
    I tried to get my new 69er together for this race but wasn't able to.
    DW, i think it makes a bigger difference for us taller riders. Shorter guys like Damion don't seem to need 29" wheels.
    I saw he was almost a minute faster than #2 on the Super-D course.

Good job on all those who finished the race and who put it on. Last year, there were a few spots I had to stop and wait for riders to figure out which way to go. This year, the flower(I swore at the meeting Damion said to follow the flowers ) helped a lot.

zen
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I definitely got spanked by some really fast riders! Great race, great course, tough, challenging, etc...I had a great time. Good to see you out there Dave H. I don't think I'll make it to Cruces this weekend but maybe next time.

The five hills owned me!

And I remember that sketchy bridge, but I was in the zone when I went over it and didn't care about the missing slats.

Next year -- front suspension!

zen
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone know if there are any other photos online yet?