Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CDT picture Thread: Foo & Fam

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  red5jedi 
#1 · (Edited)
I know Dagoat will post up a full report on what we found, but there were a lot of us out there taking pictures. Here is a sample of the kinds of views and riding that is in the area.

About 1 mile in from the TH. The Toltec RR through the pass is out of sight, but down to the riders left.

RCC and I were the support crew, but Doug and the others had pretty much taken care of business by the time we arrived.

..but we did our best to provide a log roller or two.

Sweet vistas!!

Crucified..

The next day RCC and I headed up the CDT overlook..

..and up to Flat Mtn. where we planned on descending into the Los Pinos falls.

More vistas..

Coming down the Falls was a test of skill to say the least!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice work you guys. If yall are interested my friend Jeff Mugleston works for the Forest Service in the summer has been in charge of connecting sections of the CDT over the past few summers. He has been getting groups of trailworkers volunteering to cut new connector trails and to work on existing portions of the CDT. Lately he has been working out in the Cruces basin, and has worked on sections in both directions from Hopewell Lakes areas. There is some super fun riding out there and he copuld be a good contact person for info, or coordinating cleaning and developing new singletrack. PM me if you would like to get in touch with him. He is always looking to get more tires on the dirt out there.
Roy

#6 ·
We were approached by FS while we were there. As I understand it, we will be required to be certified under a volunteer program through the FS if we want to continue working out there. He was really cool about it this time, but we need to be legit when we start cutting through the timber contract area. There are many more trails that could easily be developed into connectors...all would lead to the CDT at the ridgeline!!!

#7 ·
Right on. Just let me know if you would like to contact my buddy. He is a mountain biker first and foremost who gets to spend his summers building new trail. Not your typical Forest Service employee so he might be a good contact person to see if there is anyway yall could work together on sections.

#16 · (Edited)
I was up there about a month ago. Based on the color of the trees mid September is prob the best time to go, as we missed the color up high by a week or so. We started at 10,200ft, Its really easy to find the trail head, and the trail is pretty straight forward.
Drive through Chama into Colorado and near the summit of the pass you will see a sign that says CDT Trail. You will see a train bridge on the left and a fairly new Covered structure to eat lunch. Ill post some pics on a new thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.