mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Canada De Los Alamos

I did a [I did a club ride back there years ago but I don't really remember my way around the area, having been gone for a couple decades.

Isn't there a way to get to Atalaya Peak from Canada De Los Alamos ? What about Thompson Peak ? Is it possible to go up the dirt road, and descend into the canyon on one of the jeep roads looping back to the treehouse camp ?

I seem to remember the canyon itself was pretty rugged. What's the rest of the riding like over there ? Any interesting options ?

Btw, anyone else having problems with this site and seeing the left side of the page ? I've tried 3 different browsers and I can't scroll to the left side of the screen with any of them. I can't even see the text I am pasting here, which is driving me insane.

I ride with tools
    Yes. There is a trail that drops off the back side of Atalaya, crosses the canyon above Canada de los Alamos, and runs up to the top of Glorieta Baldy. It's best ridden in the other direction as a shuttle - start at the Glorieta Conference Center, climb Glorieta Baldy, then descend to Canada. There is a trail in there that will drop you out near Quail Run in Santa Fe, but it's hard to find. Sweetleaf knows it well.

As far as Thompson Peak, years ago there was a trail from Glorieta Baldy over to Thompson, I don't know if it's still there, I last rode it about 12 years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What was the trail like between Glorieta Baldy and Thompson Peak ? Was it mostly rideable or was it more hike-a-bike ?

Do you know if there's a trail of any kind that goes up the canyon (Apache Canyon ?) and can you access it from the treehouse camp ?

mtbr member
    The Map of the Mountains of Santa Fe (available at every bike shop) shows that area, some trails and some private property. I've ridden back to the private property areas and turned around. It was ok to see one time, but I'd just go through Apache Canyon, via Glorietta Baldy. then head up the backside of Atalaya and bomb into town, if I were you. It's all on the map.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a map by that name but it's from 1993 and it's not all that detailed. Will have to get a new one. The trail that comes out by Quail Run sounds like an easier option than going up the backside of Atalaya, if I can find it. I remember the climb out of the canyon is pretty brutal IIRC.