Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Cajun Pine Reroute

Folks will notice a new section on the Cajun Pine trail that we opened today. The reroute fixes a small discrepancy on the system where motorized is not allowed on FS Rd 335 (David Canyon Rd) but had to drive a portion to link up with the other motorized trails. Usually we don't move trails to match a map but in this case it made sense.

Anyway, I took advantage of a pretty cool boulder field for a portion of the reroute so it's a bit more techy than the previous trail. After opening it, we rode it with the dirtbikes and it needs a few fixes here and there including removal of a few more trees and maybe a little work to make some somewhat easier lines through the rocks (with the more difficult options still there). Also, there's a really cool roller that we're looking at to include as a b line, it'll probably the longest in the trail system.

Anyway, like all new trails, it's soft but ridable so enjoy.

K

but i want to ride now
    map? please?
    sweet sweet trails

Hammer

Good job! What!

You didn't call me to help with the work? I have a brand new hard hat I have only used once and it needs to be broken in properly. It is always great to see progress on the trail system. Thanks!
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    aldousfilcher - if you don't have a map of the system you can drop by the office in Tijeras (Mon-Fri 8-4:30) for one. Or, you're welcome to email me at kwood@fs.fed.us and I can send you the pdf. The reroute is on the map already so there's no change if you have one already.

Tim - You've already been replaced by two new volunteers that helped us on Thursday....Kidding of course. We plan on doing some minor work on it (moving some rocks...your favorite) Tuesday and possibly look at that roller if you're interested.

K

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    aldousfilcher - if you don't have a map of the system you can drop by the office in Tijeras (Mon-Fri 8-4:30) for one. Or, you're welcome to email me at kwood@fs.fed.us and I can send you the pdf. The reroute is on the map already so there's no change if you have one already.

Tim - You've already been replaced by two new volunteers that helped us on Thursday....Kidding of course. We plan on doing some minor work on it (moving some rocks...your favorite) Tuesday and possibly look at that roller if you're interested.

K
    I knew you were cheating on me! Sadly, I am out of town Monday through Wednesday. If you are working on it Thursday or Friday I can help out.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rode it today: less jeep road is always good. And the trail is vintage Skerry. Also noticed the trail closures on Three Bottles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I wondered what was going on with the trail. I thought I was just blind and never noticed the trail head there before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Skerry: you didn't forget to bring your rockbar on the first outing did you?

mtbr member
    Yes, the reroute is below the entrance to Three Bottles.

Actually, it's unfortunate that folks find it necessary to create user-trails. It's a terrible waste of our time to deal with them but have a duty to do so. Perhaps you heard of the SAR that happened in late August which was a direct result of a user getting lost on a user trail out there? Conversly, if you work with us, we can make those trails happen in a manner that we're not working against each other. I am currently working on the NEPA to establish Three Bottles, the west boundary trail, a Pine Flat/Oak Flat connector and some others as official NFS trails. It may not happen on your timeframe but it is happening and every day we spend dealing with stuff people make on their own without consultation with us, is one day less we can move forward with trails planning and implementation. I think I've made a decend impression on folks that we're here to create a better trail system but there's still a few that are doing their own thing and that limits our progress.

I <3 NM
    West Boundary isn't a sanctioned trail?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    skerry,

I went out to find the new reroute but couldn't find it. I am not familiar with the trail "Three Bottles". I have scouted the trail map that I have from the Ranger Station and there isn't a trail with that name on it in the Mars Court area. All I see is Cajun Pine, Cajun Turkey, Wild Turkey, Turkey Trot, FS RD 335, FS RD 530, FS RD 109, and Drop In. Where is the "Three Bottles" you are referring to?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'll just throw out that some of the "user trails" that I've seen obliterated and closed by the FS were historic trails, in place for well over 50 years, and likely much longer. Some great sections of ST in that area also started as game trails and people started using them. I think we need to be careful in what we're calling "user trails" and how they are being handled. Of course, I'm old and remember when I could ride in "wilderness" areas too.....
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jkldouglas View Post
    skerry,

I went out to find the new reroute but couldn't find it. I am not familiar with the trail "Three Bottles". I have scouted the trail map that I have from the Ranger Station and there isn't a trail with that name on it in the Mars Court area. All I see is Cajun Pine, Cajun Turkey, Wild Turkey, Turkey Trot, FS RD 335, FS RD 530, FS RD 109, and Drop In. Where is the "Three Bottles" you are referring to?

Thanks
    Three Bottles is some amateur downhill wannabe's idea of a free-ride park, but was pretty poorly built. I'm sure Kerry will clean it up and when it's "officially" posted (documented) I'm sure you'll appreciate it!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
    Three Bottles is some amateur downhill wannabe's idea of a free-ride park, but was pretty poorly built. I'm sure Kerry will clean it up and when it's "officially" posted (documented) I'm sure you'll appreciate it!
    haha, funny stuff there Goat.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
    ...some amateur downhill wannabe's idea of a free-ride park..... pretty poorly built.

I dont understand your hostility.

High Alpine Adventure
    Originally Posted by DaGoat

...some amateur downhill wannabe's idea of a free-ride park..... pretty poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I dont understand your hostility.
    Hostility? No hostility... Three bottles was pretty poorly built by some one who didn't have a lot of experience (AKA "amateur") at building trails. No more no less.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

If you don't like a trail then don't ride it. Simple as that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim View Post
    if you can't ride a trail then don't ride it. Simple as that.
    ftfu

Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    ftfu
    Every trail should be do-able on a carbon fiber hard tail. Otherwise it's stupid and so are the people who built it. Duh.

mtbr member
    Every trail should be do-able on a carbon fiber hardtail

Its not the bike.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So a bunch of people have chimed in on what they thing of the trail or what they thing of the person writing about the trail, but no one has yet to say where the trail is...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkldouglas View Post
    So a bunch of people have chimed in on what they thing of the trail or what they thing of the person writing about the trail, but no one has yet to say where the trail is...
    Dude, just ride up blue ribbon, hit the jeep road for a short bit, and tuck in at three bottles right where the big wooden sign is that says 3 bottles.

You mean Nasty with a Gee? I beg your pardon, sally with an s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks, that is what I wanted.

mtbr member
    You mean Nasty with a Gee? I beg your pardon, sally with an s.
    "K", as in knight!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast