Thread: Cabra loop

mtbr member

Cabra loop

Weather's changing...feels like the snow should be right around the corner. I hit up Cabra loop (inner) just to see some fall colors. Apparently Cabra thinks it's still Spring, there were flowers everywhere. I snapped some shots while out there with my 10-20mm lens just for giggles.

Climbing up 3 bears:
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Some bright yellow flowers. Don't know what they're called but loads of them this time of year.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Someone has been through here with some honkin' large tires. Oh, heh, that was me.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Funky rock formations along the mesa tops
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Bright red plant right in the middle of the trail. Don't know what it's called either but it really stood out against the tuff.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Post-fire recovery is coming along. The flowers seem to love the old decaying forest.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Still lots of trees waiting to fall, though.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

My bike in front of funky cliffs.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Ribbon of trail heading off toward Guaje Mountain in the background.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

And even more funky rocks
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

Looking over Guaje cemetary toward the ski hill.
    From Sept 08 Cabra loop

It's a nice time of year to ride. The summer monsoons are pretty much over but the trails aren't yet snow-packed and muddy.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Is the bike OK?
    Nice pictures

I just rode 3 Bears/Cabra on Monday night. It's my favorite loop that is close to my house.

As for snow, I find this ride melts snow faster than most trails around here that are at the same elevation. I'm not sure if it's just the way it gets the sun or what but I am usually able to ride it fairly late and early in the season.

mtbr member
    Great pictures, gotta love Cabra.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yellow ones are called Flor del Muerte around here, they tend to grow on disturbed soil which, when the area was agricultural, only occurred on the grave mounds, flower of death.
    Cool pics.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    Yellow ones are called Flor del Muerte around here, they tend to grow on disturbed soil which, when the area was agricultural, only occurred on the grave mounds, flower of death.
    Cool pics.
    Well, that would explain why they're all over the place here. Burnoff has loads of exposed/disturbed soil all over the place.

Unfortunately, it seems the local name isn't showing up on the USDA plant data base. Guess they don't list plants by the local Spanish name.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Great pictures, gotta love Cabra.
    What glass do you usually shoot with on your rides? I seem to recall maybe a Sigma or Tamron 18-70mm. I've got to replace my Nikkor 18-200mm after dropping it. I looked at my old photos and rarely go above about 70mm. I was thinking I might go with the Nikkor 16-85mm, but not certain I won't miss the 85-200mm range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    As for snow, I find this ride melts snow faster than most trails around here that are at the same elevation. I'm not sure if it's just the way it gets the sun or what but I am usually able to ride it fairly late and early in the season.
    I find the same thing. Cabra and Pajarito trail melt off faster than almost everything else around here. I think they get direct sunlight after the burnoff. Guaje Ridge is also dry on the lower parts unless the trail is N of the mountains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    What glass do you usually shoot with on your rides? I seem to recall maybe a Sigma or Tamron 18-70mm. I've got to replace my Nikkor 18-200mm after dropping it. I looked at my old photos and rarely go above about 70mm. I was thinking I might go with the Nikkor 16-85mm, but not certain I won't miss the 85-200mm range.
    Drooling over L-glass, but currently shooting with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Which Nikon do you have again?

banned
    Its lookin' good up there Von! I am torn between GITA and Cumbres Pass for that weekend and you are not helping my situation at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN
    Drooling over L-glass, but currently shooting with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Which Nikon do you have again?
    I've got a D300.