Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Boycott High Desert Screamer this year

We've always enjoyed the High Desert Screamer and have planned for it each year. Gallup trails are nice and we enjoy the people there.

That said, I am deeply disappointed that we suddenly get word a month before the race that the schedule has been rearranged so race organizers can suck up to dirty doper Levi Leipheimer in hopes that his presence will raise some extra money for Gallup biking culture.

We will be boycotting the race this year for two reasons. 1.) We make plans around the race schedule each year, and a last-minute change is pandemonium; 2.) Banking on an admitted cheater as a fundraising draw for a competitive event is in my mind about as screwy as it gets and it represents the very antithesis of honest competition.

There was a time in this country when a sense of fair play and honor were hallmark to Sport. Now it seems that Sport has become just another business and it's dismaying to see it trickle down even to the local and regional levels.

I've spoken my piece here in earnest in the hopes that the purity of Sport has not disappeared entirely from American culture, particularly out here in the West, where deals are still honored with a handshake and a person's word.

If my opinion draws some ire, so be it I guess.

mtbr member
    Just for that, I refuse to race this year in this event.....

saddlemeat
    They are also having a $100 a plate dinner for him.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    guess they couldn't get Lance?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

I ride with tools
    Dang, I was a shoo-in to podium this year. Guess I'll have to settle for a win at the horse shoe throwing contest instead.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    They are also having a $100 a plate dinner for him.
    A hundred bucks!? For that price it better include an all-you-can-shoot EPO buffet.

saddlemeat
    On the other hand, who *would* you get?

Not being cynical.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    I dont see nothing wrong with the race organizers or people wanting to boycott them. Im in a happy place

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    On the other hand, who *would* you get?

Not being cynical.
    One of the NON doping riders. Wait...

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    How about an actual professional mountain biker (Geoff Kabush lives in NM part-time) instead of some doped up dirt roadie?
    2014 Tallboy 2

Resident Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine Willie View Post
    so race organizers can suck up to dirty doper Levi Leipheimer... banking on an admitted cheater...there was a time in this country when a sense of fair play and honor were hallmark to Sport...
    really...
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. The Geoff Kabush idea is interesting!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Why not see what Levi has to say first? I'm not defending him, but he was one of the first to actually admit that he was doping after he got caught (well, after he lied for a little while) and call attention to the problem in the sport. The Euros who get caught just say "zut alors!" stay silent and take a 2-year suspension before coming back and doing it all again. And Lance, well...you know.

Maybe Levi is going to announce that he's dedicating himself and his name to an anti-doping campaign when Lance refuses to do so? If he is doing something to help clean up the sport, why not support that? I think that movement must start with someone in the sport who used to be dirty, and if Lance won't do it, maybe Levi can get it started.

If this is just their way of attracting attention and generating some revenue, then fine -- let them hear about it at the event, and boycott the next one and push Kabush or Tinker Juarez or anyone else as an alternative.

Re-arranging the schedule at the last minute, though...that sucks.

Hey, wait up!
    My thoughts: The Screamer is a solid, established race event put on by some hard working and dedicated people. If you like the race and it fits your schedule, do it. If not, don't. I hope to be there because I like the race a lot. The other stuff is, IMO, chatter. Doping and etc. are serious issues, certainly merit discussion and provide "teachable moments." But they are not the equivalent of genocide, chemical warfare or state oppression. Perspective please. It is a sweet local bike race. Celebrate the good.

YMMV

dh
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well put LCdaveh, I agree with you 100%... Great race, great people Levi is probably a great person as well.

mtbr member
    I always found it funny how as soon as someone other than a Frenchman wins the Tour they scream doping and investigate!! I know that probably not true but damn it does seem that way. Is doping wrong? yeah but I also have to admit that their doping rules are total ******** anyhow. For instance if your on testosterone and human growth hormone like I am due to a brain tumor then I can't race in competition even though I require the meds. I know that is an extreme view and scenario . It's gotten to be that if you had the flu 2 months before the race the meds you took probably would disqualify you.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

Genius
    As a "retiree", I see both sides of this Levi bit. If changing the schedule is a means to boycott I can understand that. On the other hand, in my racing days, I always embraced/relished the opportunity to try my hand against one of the best in the world. I would often try to arrange my schedule to try and take on the best. At any rate, anyone whose been around racing, at a high level, knows a good percentage of the pros are doping. It goes without saying.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Like the op, I'm very disappointed in the untimely date change. I've done the Screamer the last 6 yrs, and have been planning on it for a couple of months, but will now have to miss it since I'll be in CO visiting family on the new date.

On the other hand, if I were able to go to the race, I wouldn't give a hoot about Leipheimer's presence one way or the other, so I don't see any point in holding him up as the whipping boy. Race organizers are notorious for doing weird things for no reason - including deciding to be race organizers - so it doesn't make sense to pick on the Gallup folks just because we're so accustomed to them doing such a great job. Besides there might very well be just as many people that can do the race because of the new date, as there are people that can't.

Although I know Dave will be painfully disappointed that I've decided to do a couple of events in CO the weekend of the Horny Toad, rather than drive down to Las Cruces and then north to CO, I think I can count on him not to harsh my mother for it.

I <3 NM
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    omg!!!

This thread finally got interesting....

Genius
    Yup. That's our hometown girl. I would encourage you all to follow her facebook. She posts regularly about her cycling adventures around the world. She just left Canada for a race in China.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Victim of Saddle Rage
    This thread also got a little better "looking" too.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

I <3 NM
    Plus she likes really great beer!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    @Moonshine Willie sorry about the last month/minute schedule change and conflict.

I'm part of the reason that Levi is coming to NM for the weekend festivities, in fact, I invited him. I read your tread a few days a go and wasn't sure my thoughts or how to respond. The truth is I haven't quite come to a conclusion on how to publicly stand/preach/boycott(?) based on the whole "dirty dopper" thing, as you referred to Levi. The only 2 things that I have learned with certainty that pertain to this discussion are 1) the recent findings and confessions that have come from the US Postal Investigation bring up a way-more-complex-an-issue than what allows you to simply write-off and reduce Levi to being simply a "dirty doper." One thing you referred to, the "Sport has become just another business," is absolutely true; if you're not aware of that you're simply naive; even most professionals don't understand that simply because they were never good enough to be made to understand, i.e. there are a lot of powerful people and that top of these Teams and governing organizations that are (yes, making a lot of money, but more significantly) controlling and persuading the outcomes to remain in their position and dominant. 2) Levi is not a cut-throat, competitive power monger taking every advantage he can get and forcibly holding others from success; Levi is a good fellow and his experience and dedication to the bicycle is all some thing we could benefit and learn from. .. and the truth is we hope that Levi's presence will raise some extra money for the Gallup bike culture; he's helped raise hundreds of thousands of $ for local charities of Sonoma County California. Look at Gallup, it's tarnished HWY town with a rough past. We now have a urban bike park being put in (Grand Opening Sunday, 22 Sept) that already has kids coming out of the woodwork to ride; and we have NorCal High School Mtb League director Vanessa Hauswald coming all the way out do a Q&A about the possibilities of starting a NM HS Mtb League of our own after a FREE, afternoon showing of SingleTrack High (Saturday, 21 Sept), the $100 dinner plates are going toward raising $ so we can attain IMBA Ride Center designation and create and maintain more trails than we already have; that means more/better Squash Blossoms . . . so please, don't boycott the event, help it grow.

mtbr member
    The old saying is " one oh sh*t erases a 1000 attaboy's. " we can all agree that doping is wrong and the excuse that everyone is doing it doesn't make it right. Like my mom used to ask me " if all your friends were jumping off a bridge would it make it ok?" Well as an adult my answer is depends on how deep the water is. The fact that Levi doped is a bad mark but should that erase all the good marks he's earned??? If I had time and could get to this event I assuredly would regardless.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast