Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    but i want to ride now

BME #1 Angel Fire/Taos

So I was just curious, who here is registered for this thing. You know, locals roll call and whatnot.
    I'll start

(raises hand)
    Here
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    I was, I guess I still am. Last night I dislocated my shoulder and will not be able to race.

If anyone is interested:
    Angel Fire/ Taos Endiro Race Registration - Pinkbike

EDIT:
    Angel Fire/ Taos Endiro Race Registration - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Last edited by Calhoun; 06-12-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: to add MTBR paid ad
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I was, I guess I still am. Last night I dislocated my shoulder and will not be able to race.[/url]
    Dang, sorry to hear that! Maybe you can come drink beer at Pajarito Summer Fest instead.

mtbr member
    I am, so is Jerry Hazard and so is Colorado Paul (not on MTBR?). So is Chapman, forgetting his handle right now. They just announced the courses today: BME#1 - Angel Fire/Taos - June 15-16, 2013 - Big Mountain Enduro Series

Should be a ripper!

Calhoun was my main buddy for this, this sucks ballz. My good night doin a double Winsor drop yesterday might have sucked his mojo out.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Dang, sorry to hear that! Maybe you can come drink beer at Pajarito Summer Fest instead.
    Think they'll serve me beer in a sippy cup? Doc says no lifting.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Who wants to ride south boundry tomorrow?

Im looking for a group. I have a truck and can help shuttling. I don't know the route...
    pchen@live.com

mtbr member
    Dude, WTF happened?

mtbr member
    I'll hold your beer, brah!

but i want to ride now
    I must admit, I'm pretty psyched out by their inclusion of trails like World Cup into this. Any beta from those who have ridden it, and its rideability on a typical trail/enduro rig?
    sweet sweet trails

just ride it....
    Sorry to hear about your injury Rory. To a fast recovery so you can get back out soon! T&A

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    I must admit, I'm pretty psyched out by their inclusion of trails like World Cup into this. Any beta from those who have ridden it, and its rideability on a typical trail/enduro rig?
    I'm not racing this thing but after seeing the stages I'm almost wishing I had done this over racing the Pro GRT DH last weekend . It looks more DH than Enduro. Most of the Angel Fire stages are fairly all mountain but that very first section of Worldcup is steep and rocky. I think I could get through it on an All Mountain rig but it would be tricky and I've ridden that section 100's of times from past 12-hr DH races. Just do whatever it takes to get through the beginning of World Cup and the rest of that stage is on Lemonade which is very tame. The World Cup section is very short and you could get off and run through the worst rocky sections w/o loosing much time. The hardest part of all the stages is the fact that it is soooo dry at AF right now. I'd put the fattest DH tires you can fit on your enduro rig. I rode 2.5"/2.3" Muddy Mary's for the DH race and they did well.

Duke/Dutches will be the hardest long trail on the mountain. Very very rocky. Not loose or steep rocks but tons of pointy rocks that just rattle you all the way down and will easily give you a pinch flat if not setup right.

Good luck with your race !

but i want to ride now
    Thanks Neal, that's definitely helpful.
    I'm currently running a 2.4 Conti Trail King front and 2.4 X-king rear, both Protection casing. I've been advised by a buddy to run this setup for day 1 and a DH setup for day 2.
    I think I may now take his advice.....
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is the SBT closed to general traffic during the race on Saturday (June 15)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    I'm not racing this thing but after seeing the stages I'm almost wishing I had done this over racing the Pro GRT DH last weekend . It looks more DH than Enduro. Most of the Angel Fire stages are fairly all mountain but that very first section of Worldcup is steep and rocky. I think I could get through it on an All Mountain rig but it would be tricky and I've ridden that section 100's of times from past 12-hr DH races. Just do whatever it takes to get through the beginning of World Cup and the rest of that stage is on Lemonade which is very tame. The World Cup section is very short and you could get off and run through the worst rocky sections w/o loosing much time. The hardest part of all the stages is the fact that it is soooo dry at AF right now. I'd put the fattest DH tires you can fit on your enduro rig. I rode 2.5"/2.3" Muddy Mary's for the DH race and they did well.

Duke/Dutches will be the hardest long trail on the mountain. Very very rocky. Not loose or steep rocks but tons of pointy rocks that just rattle you all the way down and will easily give you a pinch flat if not setup right.

Good luck with your race !

Pretty good advice there Neal.

Last Sunday we rode all of the Angel fire Trails on our AM bikes. World Cup was tough, but not bad enough to require dismount. Make sure you pre-ride it and pick your lines before the race. Maybe even camp out at the tougher spots and see how others are riding through. Duke gets tricky because it is chunky without much slope. Hard to get any pedaling so its all about the pump.

And your buddy is right, but remember you can't switch out wheels only tires.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abqmtnbikr View Post
    Sorry to hear about your injury Rory. To a fast recovery so you can get back out soon! T&A
    Thanks guys, hopefully Anna is healed up

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sorry to hear this happened after such a great weekend. Doc got you on cowbell detail?

but i want to ride now
    A final thought on this thread....
    Thanks a ton to Neal and the other folks on here who chipped in with advice for us gravity newbs.
    The event?
    I had a blast even though there were some notable logistical shortcomings on the part of the organizers. The race itself, the community of racers, the courses, the timing system, the atmosphere was awesome. I can't remember the number of people I met this weekend for the first time but talked to like they were old friends; it was uncanny.

In the end, I crashed twice, flatted in practice, broke my seatpost, my pedal, and my frame, and still ended up second place in category overall in my first ever gravity event.
    I will, however, have reoccurring night terrors,'cause I was scared sh!tless practically the entire weekend.

Also, gotta ride Angel Fire...
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    what category? i had a real experience too, but I was the one with all the blood. I'm glad to be moving all my limbs after hitting a tree with the top of my head (OTB superman style off the side of the trail at the beginning of Stage 1, rode and then ran t) and getting 9 stitches in my chin. i managed to finish all the stages surprisingly. great event though and hope to be in shape to go to Crested Butte.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

but i want to ride now
    19-29 Amateur Men
    sweet sweet trails

but i want to ride now
    I remember talking with you Chris, here's to a speedy recovery.
    sweet sweet trails

Airborne Flight Crew
    Wish I had more POV from my actual stage runs, but it was difficult enough to just hang on through the descent off of SBT and the WC trail.... Probably the coolest race atmosphere I've experienced.

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nice video JHazard! It was such a great weekend and event. Looking forward to the next one!
    Maintain internal heights.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks!

I'm sorta hooked - considering Durango's BME. Should be just as fun, and a bit different from this one.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nice video Jerry!

Also thinking about the Durango BME, hoping to be back to form by then.

-cabra cadabra

Stucco Bucket
    Kennebec. ugh
    Congrats to Jerry, Chris Paul and Chapman for the finishes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast