mtbr member

Black History Month - Early Mountain Bikers!

Bikeleague.org Blog » Blog Archive » Black (Bike) History Month: An Army of Bikes

I thought since it was Black History Month I'd send this link out. Pretty cool - not only were they mountain biking in 1896 but on singlespeeds. And they rode from Montana to St. Louis. I'll keep that in mind when I'm wanking about being tired on a "long" ride...

mtbr member
    The craziest part is they were riding bikes in the wilderness. Oh and their bikes weighed 70lbs and had wooden rims

Wheels of Change | National Parks Conservation Association
    Last edited by Fuglio; 02-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Actually federally designated wilderness (the Sandia not until 1978) wasn't established until 1964....we could turn this into a long debate on wilderness but I'd rather appreciate the article for what it is.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Actually federally designated wilderness (the Sandia not until 1978) wasn't established until 1964....we could turn this into a long debate on wilderness but I'd rather appreciate the article for what it is.
    Hell, back then it was all wilderness. Those were some bad ass guys. How cool would it be to find one of those bikes. I noticed the commander of the group was Lieutenant James A. Moss, I knew I had Mtn Biking in my blood.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

I <3 NM
    there is a mtbr thread about those riders:

1897 Dirt Bike
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Plus rifle, bedding, and other gear. And I think my Camelback seems too heavy sometimes. Bet they prayed for the downhills...