Thread: Bike Camping?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Bike Camping?

I have been exploring some of the trails on the back side of the Sandias, and I was just wondering if it is ok to camp overnight off of say North Faulty trail? Or any others in the area I would not have a fire and I would be packing in via bicycle.

Thanks for any input or assistance.

mtbr member
    You can do "dispersed camping" anywhere on the district. Usually it is recommended that you camp 100-200ft from any water source or road (away from water for resource protection). Since the district is in stage 1 fire restrictions you cannot have a fire (unless in a official fire ring in a designated rec area). If we were not in restrictions, a fire would be permitted as long as it's dead out before leaving (try to use already established rings if there is any (standard Leave No Trace stuff)).

And of course bicycles are not permitted in designated wilderness but north faulty is not so you're good to go. Have fun!

PS - I wouldn't recommend parking a car on the Crest Road or 165 overnight as it's likely to get vandalized or stolen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    You can do "dispersed camping" anywhere on the district. Usually it is recommended that you camp 100-200ft from any water source or road (away from water for resource protection). Since the district is in stage 1 fire restrictions you cannot have a fire (unless in a official fire ring in a designated rec area). If we were not in restrictions, a fire would be permitted as long as it's dead out before leaving (try to use already established rings if there is any (standard Leave No Trace stuff)).

And of course bicycles are not permitted in designated wilderness but north faulty is not so you're good to go. Have fun!

PS - I wouldn't recommend parking a car on the Crest Road or 165 overnight as it's likely to get vandalized or stolen.
    Perfect! Thank you for this.

mtbr member
    Glad I could help. I guess the major consideration would be whether there was any water along the route. I've seen La Madera run but I wouldn't count on it.

mtbr member
    How many days in a row are you allowed to camp?

mtbr member
    14 days within a 45 day period consecutive or not.