Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Is the bike OK?

Big Weekend at Pajarito: July 18, 19 & 20

There's a lot going on at Pajarito (http://skipajarito.com/) this weekend:

Friday night they're having a free concert with The Gourds (http://www.myspace.com/thegourdstx). I'm guessing there will be an evening jump session in the trees.

Saturday and Sunday are both downhill days

Microbeer will be served from Santa Fe Brewing

Come on up and ride!

P.S. I missed last weekend but heard the trails were in perfect shape after the recent rains. Did anyone get any pics to post?

mtbr member

more about the beer!!

I hear that Santa Fe brewery will be serving for the free concert Friday night (this is for sure) and then Marble Brewery will be serving on Saturday (can any confirm this?) Marble's IPA is supposedly great

And as Neal said the trails are in great shape, the rain has been good to them. Sadly, I will miss the entire weekend.
    there can be only one... track

???
    Jun 2007

beer news...

Yes - Marble will be there Saturday.

mtbr member
    Yep I made it up Saturday and the trails were super nice. Nice moisture content in the dirt, not too muddy, not too dry. In other words, just right. Unfortunately some dude on a late 80's Ross rigid bike cut me off wussing out before a jump and caused me to crash hard resulting in a concussion and some whiplash. I should be de-scrambled enough to head out again Saturday.

I'm going for the Marble IPA. I love IPA's....

mtbr member
    Here's a snippet from the newsletter that Pajarito sent out last night:

There's a packed weekend ahead on the mountain...

FRIDAY JULY 18th 7 PM: LOS ALAMOS COUNTY SUMMER CONCERT SERIES* AT PAJARITO MOUNTAIN

Music by The Gourds and beer from Santa Fe Brewing Company and food from the grill.

SATURDAY JULY 19th: LIFT-SERVED BIKING AND HIKING 9 AM - 3 PM

With beer from Marble Brewery and food from the grill.

SUNDAY JULY 20th: LIFT-SERVED BIKING & HIKING 9 AM - 3 PM
    ************************************************** ****************************************

So, looks like Santa Fe Brewery on Fri, and Marble brewery on Sat.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member

two pics from last weekend.

rsclimb, the trail architect, testing a jump on his new line called 'Natural Selection' and the other pic is of Jason from Abq rolling the big rock... picture doesn't show it but it is almost vertical.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member

little bird

I'll be rockin' the 'rito as a part of my LAHS Class of 1988 20-year high school reunion.

Bringing the bike, but I'm pretty much a XC type guy (and old, see reunion reference above) and generally try to keep my tires on the ground. Kinda stoked to check out the trails on the ski hill, but also to hit some of the old stomping grounds (guaje, pipeline, kamezon, etc)

Anybody who'd be up for that sort of thing on Sat, let me know.

C S
    mtbr member
    I'm hoping to make it back out this weekend. Unfortunately, my arm is still giving me hell for a lame crash last weekend I can almost ride my bike again, but still can't put much pressure on my right wrist. I might wind up just taking pictures, but be warned that my camera skills are even worse than my riding skills The trails were in perfect condition from the moisture last weekend, should be amazing again this weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    rsclimb, the trail architect, testing a jump on his new line called 'Natural Selection' .
    YEAH! new trail - pretty fun and I fixed it up some yesterday and added a few little things
    Also figured out how I can extend that beginning jump section ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM. probably 35 jumps. Hope to start on that next week - Looking for volunteers
    Last edited by rsclimb; 07-18-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    I'll be rockin' the 'rito as a part of my LAHS Class of 1988 20-year high school reunion.

Bringing the bike, but I'm pretty much a XC type guy (and old, see reunion reference above) and generally try to keep my tires on the ground. Kinda stoked to check out the trails on the ski hill, but also to hit some of the old stomping grounds (guaje, pipeline, kamezon, etc)

Anybody who'd be up for that sort of thing on Sat, let me know.
    Hey dino!

You will love all the trails at Pajarito - tons of great XC stuff in addition to the DH mania. Guaje is of course a prerequisite, as is Nail Trail and Quemazon.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Hey dino!

You will love all the trails at Pajarito - tons of great XC stuff in addition to the DH mania. Guaje is of course a prerequisite, as is Nail Trail and Quemazon.
    to-mae-toe/to-ma-toe, kamezon/Quemazon. Whatever. Actually I really ought to know better having cut my proverbial mt biking teeth on this trail back in 1987 on my Trek 850. [Say in Jeff Foxworth voice} "You might have become a Colorado-Redneck if .... you can no longer spell Quemazon"

Now what is this "Nail Trial" of which you speak.

Oh and the last time I road Quaje there were still trees!

Bandolero

Getting Wood

to-mae-toe/to-ma-toe, kamezon/Quemazon. Whatever. Actually I really ought to know better having cut my proverbial mt biking teeth on this trail back in 1987 on my Trek 850. [Say in Jeff Foxworth voice} "You might have become a Colorado-Redneck if .... you can no longer spell Quemazon"

Oh and the last time I road Quaje there were still trees!
    Oh they're still there.

They're just pointing in the wrong direction
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Mythical Creature
    Nail Trail starts right off the 'Gate Road' - the one that you take out of LA to get to Pajarito. A short bit past the turnoff for the ski area, it climbs right up the embankment and starts to hurt pretty quick. It's more tecnical than Quemazon, and eventually gets you to an intersection that offers the choice of (left) heading into /down Pajarito Trail (awesome Canyon - lush, green, creek flowing and all) or (bear right) spinning out a 2-track to the ski area access road, about a mile down fom the Townsight Lift.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Oh they're still there.
    As of last Saturday all the trees on Guaje Ridge have been cleared . The biggest thing to worry about at this time of year are the locust bushes (bring your shin guards if you have them!).

mtbr member
    I got hit by a car last week riding to the Dale Ball trails after work. Thanks to the kind folks that hit me, I've got a new Rock Shox Totem for my piggy-bike. Can't wait to try it out this weekend on the lifts! Hopefully my wrists will feel good enough to ride that terrain.
    I'm just glad to have replaced that crappy Marzocchi that sucked from day one.
    Cant wait to finally ride the lifts on a fork that works!!!

mtbr member
    EXCELLENT, I've been wondering when you were going to get up there T.J.
    Last edited by rsclimb; 07-18-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Syrenne!

Pajarito rules....

I am so happy and proud to live only a few hours from a world-class bike playground! I've only missed one lift day this year--had a blast every time! Thanks to everybody who builds/maintains Pajarito, and thanks to everyone who comes out to enjoy the place--the friendly attitude just makes everything that much cooler!

...from the girl on the Syren...
    Go huck yourself.

Weather....

Can any local play weather man (insert Brick Tamland photo) tomorrow morning? I question how accurate the weather report is. Or maybe I'm just being optimistic.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim
    Can any local play weather man (insert Brick Tamland photo) tomorrow morning? I question how accurate the weather report is. Or maybe I'm just being optimistic.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday

Thanks.
    It will be the same as its been the past 2 weeks. Perfect morning, clouds around noon, then rummbles - the lift will probably shut down for a bit (dirt jump sessions) but no rain. The lift will run again for a few late runs. Maybe a sprinkle in the evening but probably not. The ski hill hasn't been getting those heavy rains that ABQ and Santa Fe has been getting except 2 Tuesdays ago
    SUNDAY IS REPEAT
    Get there early to get as much riding in if it does thunder

Is the bike OK?
    We had a great day today! It rained hard Friday and made for perfectly tacky soil all day today. The chairs didn't shutdown once for lightning and it didn't rain at all. Hopefully tomorrow is a repeat.

Yup, had a great day. Thanks to all those who made it possible...

What was everyone using for a back tire? My Michelin DH24 would not hook up on any of the wood features.

mtbr member
    Ditto what Tim said.

We had a blast today thanks to Rich, Neal, and everyone else who helped create the extensive trail network at Pajarito.

Great work guys!

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim
    What was everyone using for a back tire? My Michelin DH24 would not hook up on any of the wood features.
    I was riding Michelin DH32s, 24 psi in rear, 22 psi in front, tubeless. It was hooking up on everything but a few slick roots on my first run or two . I had one instance on the really big rock roller (see picture above that NM_Highlander took last week) where my front tire drifted a bit going down the wet rock face
    Last edited by nealpederson; 07-20-2008 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    I was riding Michelin DH32s, 24 psi in rear, 22 psi in front, tubeless. It was hooking up on everything but a few slick roots on my first run or two . I had one instance on the really big rock roller (see picture above that Gary took last week) where my front tire drifted a bit going down the wet rock face
    I had a similar experience on the roller too... and on some skinnies... and some roots... and some landing... etc. etc.

Is the bike OK?

Pictures from Today!

We had another perfect day at Pajarito. Trails were tacky and the weather held all day. I took a new camera that I don't like as much as my old one but got some descent shots during the day. The below are in order of the days progression.

Me on the Road Gap:
    NealRoadGap.jpg

Ben (son) on Leaping Lizards:
    BenLeapingLizards.jpg

Zack on Muy Loco Rock Garden:
    ZackRockGarding.jpg

Chris M. on Jumps:
    ChrisJumps.jpg

Ben on Jumps:
    BenJumps.jpg

Kristin (wife) on Half Aspen, rcopelove & CS fixing rcopelove's tire in background:
    KristinHalfAspen.jpg

Tony G & Yeti Kid (don't know his name) on beginning of Sidewinder:
    TonyYetiKidSidewinder.jpg

Yeti Kid on Natural Selection Hip Jump:
    YetiKidNaturalSelection.jpg

Tony G & Yeti Kid on Natural Selection Step-Down Jump:
    TonyYetiKidNaturalSelection.jpg

End of Day (Beer for most Shoulder Ice for Chris M ):
    EndOfDay.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast