mtbr member
    May 2013

Best Tech Trails in the ABQ/Santa Fe Area?

I've been doing some exploring since the ABQ trails have been closed. Been a little disappointed at driving all the way to trails that are supposed to be difficult and finding them kinda boring (Dale Ball South, and Pueblo Canyon) for example. I'm not an amazing rider, but some of these trails I feel like I could ride with my eyes closed. I've found the "Skill Ratings" to be completely useless. Pueblo Canyon is rated Challenging, and it's double-track???

So, I'm wondering if we can come up with a list of really good technical trails within, say, 2 hours of ABQ. I'm thinking stuff like Faulty Trail. I discovered that this spring, and can't wait to ride it again! Otero Canyon has been on my "regular" list, too; psyched for more Red Mesa when it cools off. I'd like to know about more stuff along the lines of these trails.

I've searched the Trails section on here relentlessly, but a lot of the trails only have a few comments that are 5-10 or more years old!

My main motivation for this is not only to find some more interesting trails, but I also plan to get a 5" or 6" bike in the next few months, and I want to make sure it'll be worth it.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Hopefully when our environmental clearance work is done (and the trail work that will follow) you can add Three Bottles (more than what's there now).

mtbr member

Wink

Pm me for a foot hills ride tuesday night
    Theres some good up hill tech in the south footies

What 6 inch bikes you thinking of.. theres a knolly chillcotin for sale on pinkebike from a local.

What trail do you ride in red mesa?

And santa fe has REM thats kinda techy

mtbr member
    I'm wondering what you think technical is. I bet you didn't even ride the more tech trails in Dale Ball South. You are obviously riding through and expecting to happen upon everything by luck. You complained in other threads about Los Alamos trails, and you didn't even find the right trails when you went there. If you were on a double track in Los Alamos, when I know there's plenty of super-cool riding there, then that's you're own issue. You are obviously missing all the good stuff wherever you go.

At this point I'm starting to believe that you cannot be satisfied.

It's hard to tell if you have a curse which prevents you from finding the good stuff on your own, or if you just like to complain. Faulty & Otero are only mildly technical rides in the Abq/SF area, in my book. I want to watch you ride. You must be amazing - even though you say you're not. If you can "ride with your eyes closed" in Dale Ball South - especially on my favorite sections, I want to witness that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you delnorte. Just when I started to question my riding skills thinking "geez, I must really suck", you saved my self esteem.

I couldn't have said any of that better.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Delnorte, let me start by saying I appreciate you making some suggestions for me last week. I'm not trying to bash your trails. I'm going to new places with an open mind, and you're right, sometimes luck is required to find the right trails in a new place.

But, I'm not expecting to happen upon everything by luck. I did a lot of research the day before I went to Los Alamos, and chose the Aquatic Center TH based on the fact that the brochure called all three loops that start from there "Challenging" skill level. Starting there also allowed me to ride most of the second ride suggested by Delnorte.

I can be satisfied, I love the trails/areas I listed. 75% of the time I go to a new area, I'm happy with what I find. It's just frustrating to put a lot of time into researching a new area, printing maps, driving all the way there, etc. only to be bored once I get there, and to have the descriptions not match what I find.

That you consider Otero/Faulty only "mildly technical" is irrelevant. I was using them for reference so that people could point me toward similar trails. What are your favorite sections of Dale Ball South? I'd like to try them. Maybe I did miss the good ones. I did 22-32 (added part of Central to earn my post-ride calzone) and 38-40, as well as St. John's trail (which was cool).

Again, I appreciate your suggestions for trails, especially ones similar to the ones I listed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Pm me for a foot hills ride tuesday night
    Theres some good up hill tech in the south footies

What 6 inch bikes you thinking of.. theres a knolly chillcotin for sale on pinkebike from a local.

What trail do you ride in red mesa?

And santa fe has REM thats kinda techy

PM will be sent shortly.

Mojo HDR and Trek Remedy are the top two on my list, but I have a spreadsheet with specs for 4 or 5 others I'm considering. Going to Outerbike again this year, and will decide after demoing.

I didn't realize there were actual trails in Red Mesa. I basically cruised around on the slick rock for a few hours making up short tech lines as I went, and had a blast!

I'll look into REM. Thanks!