mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Best ride in Sandia Foothills

I am sure it has been asked...

But I am at Arroyos del Oso Park tonight for 3 hours. Soccer. What should I hit?

The park is at Montgomery and Wyoming.

Thanks.
    Greg

Bandolero

Circle in the Sand

Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos

But I am at Arroyos del Oso Park tonight for 3 hours. Soccer. What should I hit?

Thanks.
    Greg
    North Foothills is a one hour loop but you can extend it to fill up your time. From the park head up Osuna as it's got a bike path. Once you see the big dam at Juan Taboo and Osuna, go up/over and you'll be on Bear Canyon Arroyo. Keep climbing under Tramway till you reach the Spain/Michial Emer Trailhead. Continue on up (305), passing 365 until the trail loops north staying on the main way. You'll cross a dirt road and descend a bit. Take a right and head east again till you reach the Pino Wilderness trailhead then go North/west on 341 descending. Take a right at the bottom of that, climbing to the Dominogo Baca trail and wilderness trailhead again. Descend from there on 230 (aka long rocky downhill). At the bottom it T's into to 365. Take a right and you can go out to the water tanks/Tram. Return back along 365 going south. You'll cross the Elena Gallegos area/road and continue south on 365 back to trail 305/Michial Emery trail. Take a right and your back to the beginning.

Or if time allows, bail at 3 and I'll pick you up for a quick Cedro ride.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    North Foothills is a one hour loop but you can extend it to fill up your time. From the park head up Osuna as it's got a bike path. Once you see the big dam at Juan Taboo and Osuna, go up/over and you'll be on Bear Canyon Arroyo. Keep climbing under Tramway till you reach the Spain/Michial Emer Trailhead. Continue on up (305), passing 365 until the trail loops north staying on the main way. You'll cross a dirt road and descend a bit. Take a right and head east again till you reach the Pino Wilderness trailhead then go North/west on 341 descending. Take a right at the bottom of that, climbing to the Dominogo Baca trail and wilderness trailhead again. Descend from there on 230 (aka long rocky downhill). At the bottom it T's into to 365. Take a right and you can go out to the water tanks/Tram. Return back along 365 going south. You'll cross the Elena Gallegos area/road and continue south on 365 back to trail 305/Michial Emery trail. Take a right and your back to the beginning.

Or if time allows, bail at 3 and I'll pick you up for a quick Cedro ride.

Great recommendation! That route takes in the best of the N Foothills trail.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    From the park head up Osuna as it's got a bike path.
    You mean the ditch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone want to ride tonight? I saw enough soccer this weekend.

Bandolero

Throw it in the Ditch

Quote Originally Posted by nmtim
    You mean the ditch?
    I'm just reading the glowing lines on the CABQ bike map.

Blue is bike lane, green is paved trail closed to traffic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, I think the green between Wyoming and Juan Tabo is the Ditch trail.

7MGTE
    Did someone say jump the ditch? Oh, guess not my bad but if you go you should jump the ditch!

Bandolero

Lets get Serious

Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    Did someone say jump the ditch? Oh, guess not my bad but if you go you should jump the ditch!
    Hey, none of that funnin around.

Got a pic of you recently in no-joke mode:

mtbr member

Thanks.
    Greg

If you want to see the south foothills, this will help you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Finally got to try this ride, difficult to get out during the week with kid juggling and such but this weekend the season started and I had a few hours between games. I liked the idea of riding up Bear Arroyo so I took that all the way up to Tramway, it was fun especially above the damn, nobody there. I even took a mountain biking break under a tree with a view of downtown but basically in someones backyard.
    Notaknob your directions were perfect. I followed them all the way around the loop with few problems, only doubling back to hit stuff again and in the case of the far east section that heads north I did it three times. There were a few hikers in a couple of areas, they were all really nice, the few bikers I saw were old guy types with every imaginable accessory for a bike. They mostly grunted and rode on.
    The only place I got lost (wink, wink) was when I was supposed to turn right onto 305 back to the trailhead. Ended up riding behind some houses for quite a ways before guilt made me turn back as the family was waiting for me at the soccer field.
    I thought it was a fun fast ride, perfect for the single speed.
    The dirt is funny. Broken up rock? I thought it would be hard to ride but I stuck right to it.
    Glad I didn't go off the trail. Those are some mean looking cacti.
    Did the same basic loop the next day when my 10 hour ref class at El Dorado got so mind-numbing I had to get out.
    Thanks for the good suggestion.

Bandolero

Foot hills riding

Finally got to try this ride, difficult to get out during the week with kid juggling and such but this weekend the season started and I had a few hours between games. I liked the idea of riding up Bear Arroyo so I took that all the way up to Tramway, it was fun especially above the damn, nobody there. I even took a mountain biking break under a tree with a view of downtown but basically in someones backyard.
    Notaknob your directions were perfect. I followed them all the way around the loop with few problems, only doubling back to hit stuff again and in the case of the far east section that heads north I did it three times. There were a few hikers in a couple of areas, they were all really nice, the few bikers I saw were old guy types with every imaginable accessory for a bike. They mostly grunted and rode on.
    The only place I got lost (wink, wink) was when I was supposed to turn right onto 305 back to the trailhead. Ended up riding behind some houses for quite a ways before guilt made me turn back as the family was waiting for me at the soccer field.
    I thought it was a fun fast ride, perfect for the single speed.
    The dirt is funny. Broken up rock? I thought it would be hard to ride but I stuck right to it.
    Glad I didn't go off the trail. Those are some mean looking cacti.
    Did the same basic loop the next day when my 10 hour ref class at El Dorado got so mind-numbing I had to get out.
    Thanks for the good suggestion.
    Hey Greg it's Dave, I would enjoy showing the area if you want.Thanks for housing a bunch of animals last weekend and showing us around South Boundary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks Dave, you guys are welcome anytime. I will take you up on riding down south, we are down every Friday afternoon until Saturday night. Any time you want to ride let me know. How is the new bike?

Bandolero
    Thanks Dave, you guys are welcome anytime. I will take you up on riding down south, we are down every Friday afternoon until Saturday night. Any time you want to ride let me know. How is the new bike?
    The new bike is great I'll be seeing you.