I <3 NM

New question here. Best loop option for Otero?

I stopped by Otero this morning for a bit of sweet single track with a little chunk in it. I started at the upper parking area and dropped into the canyon, then took the Tunnel trail turn to the right then up-up-up-up and some more up. Finished by cutting over to the USAF line then back down into the canyon and out.

I rode it this way only because I haven't ridden Otero since 2002 and it's about I could remember. But I'm sure I missed the obvious/best route.

What's your fav way to do Otero?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

banned
    That's an Ok loop. Instead of going right towards Tunnel go left and up the east ridge. Once your on top (in the clearing) make a left at the end of the clearing (following an old double track turned ST) until you hit a FR. Make left here and follow for about a mile and duck back into the woods at the next marked intersection on the right (its obvious singletrack). When you pop out of this trail you will want to head right and follow until the next Y (roughly a mile and a half) and go right. Once you turn right look for a faint trail again to your right and hold on!!!!

I <3 NM
    should have asked, "whats the best loop if i want to keep my gov job?"

banned
    It's all good. You can 'bipass' anything that is not comfortable. There's plenty

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    It's all good. You can 'bipass' anything that is not comfortable. There's plenty

gottcha

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why folks don't start their Otero rides at the Tunnel Canyon trailhead is beyond me. I always start at Tunnel, ride up, take a right at the fork (not the left that dumps you right back at the beginning of Otero via the cutover), continue climbing up to the ridge, follow the ridge to the first of the metal signs, and then take the legal left and descend into Otero via Tio Juanito.

At that point, you can do anything you want in Otero, but have already had a great ride.

I prefer to turn right at the base of Tio Juanito, and go up into the "zone" via the trail "where there are no signs", and make my way out to the far end of Un Poco Loco.

I usually make my way back to the Tunnel p/lot via the cutover, but will use the highway if darkness is a factor.

However, having so much other riding to do this summer, I admit I haven't been to Tunnel/Otero since the onset of the motorcycle/fire damage, and really have no idea what to expect along my favorite route due to the aforementioned impacts. Anxious to find out in few weeks.

banned
    As an option you can add more miles by putting 3btls in the mix. It's on the section of double track that has been cleared from the fires. It's a faint trail on the left about 3/4 of a mile into the swath. Follow 3btls until you come to a main intersection. At that point just point the bike down at all intersections that follow and you will end up back on Otero and subsequently back at the p-lot. I'm probably going to get scolded for throwing this out there, but the red is the original loop. The dark blue is the xtra 3btls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    should have asked, "whats the best loop if i want to keep my gov job?"

The best thing you can do is meet one of us out there. Lots of options to do. Im out there nearly every weekend. Ill be glad to show you around. Some weekdays around 5 pm or so, as well.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52
    The best thing you can do is meet one of us out there. Lots of options to do. Im out there nearly every weekend. Ill be glad to show you around. Some weekdays around 5 pm or so, as well.
    I think he is "warming up" to this option. Good idea

I <3 NM
    I will say that my Pivot 429 performed great out there yesterday. I built it up for that kind of trail after learning that a light weight Racer X was not the best choice for riding NM chunk. The Pivot on the other hand is a bit beefier and a whole lot stiffer. The drop off the ridge into the canyon trail showed me that my choice of build was spot on. Even tried to roll little bits of chunk and got a tiny bit of air coming down thru the canyon, which for me is not something I generally do.

banned
    I will say that my Pivot 429 performed great out there yesterday. I built it up for that kind of trail after learning that a light weight Racer X was not the best choice for riding NM chunk. The Pivot on the other hand is a bit beefier and a whole lot stiffer. The drop off the ridge into the canyon trail showed me that my choice of build was spot on. Even tried to roll little bits of chunk and got a tiny bit of air coming down thru the canyon, which for me is not something I generally do.

I think your ready! How 'bout Tuesday

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I think your ready! How 'bout Tuesday

i have a meeting with my new boss at the base on Tue. In fact, it looks like my days are tied up until Thur morning.. might get in some evening riding before then, but will have to play it by ear.

mtbr member

What's your fav way to do Otero?
    Here's the loop I ride.

http://www.cyclingtrek.org/index.php...d=65&Itemid=18

Ride the big loop eather way- it all rocks