mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Any good singletrack off the top of Santa Fe Ski Basin ? Aspen Vista Alternative ?

This is a random question, hope someone knows....

At the top of the lower mountain at Santa Fe Ski Basin there's a trail that goes west,
    downhill from the old quad chairlift. I don't know of any singletracks through Big T that would let me connect with Aspen Vista but I haven't investigated it in years. Does anyone know the trail I'm referring to ? Does it connect back to the ski basin parking lot, connect with Aspen Vista, or does it drop out somewhere on Hyde Park Rd ? It looks rideable from the top but I don't know what it's like lower down or where it goes.

mtbr member
    It is totally rideable and worth it. It takes you out to the Aspen Vista parking lot right behind the gate. I rode it for the first time about a month ago. I'm assuming this is the trail from the TOP of the quad, yes?

mtbr member
    "the old quad chairlift"

Hey man, it ain't that old. Some of us still remember those trying trips up the Pomas.

j/k
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by schraderlp View Post
    It is totally rideable and worth it. It takes you out to the Aspen Vista parking lot right behind the gate. I rode it for the first time about a month ago. I'm assuming this is the trail from the TOP of the quad, yes?
    Ya, it looks like it starts right near the picnic table at the top of the quad chair, about 11,000 ft.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Schraderlp, is the descent really technical and steep ? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about climbing Aspen Vista on my rigid 26er because it's light, but it has rim brakes. Is the descent something I should ride with my suspension bike instead ? I'm fairly comfortable in technical terrain but if a rigid frame/fork is gonna kill me up there let me know. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've done it on a hard tail 29er with an 80mm fork. It's steep and loose when you drop in and steep again at the bottom, but you should be ok. It's not like you need a DH rig and armor.

mtbr member
    Just hit it again today. No picnic table to be seen. It starts behind the ski Santa Fe sign that has all the tubes you look thru to find out what is on the horizon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Did you climb up Aspen Vista to the radio towers and come down the jeep track which goes to the top of the quad chair ? Or did you climb up the old Santa Fe Trail access road from the ski basin parking lot ?

mtbr member
    Yesterday I climbed up aspen vista, and came down to the quad from above. I actually came down one of the ski runs, and don't recommend it. The other time I climbed up from the ski basin along the access road, not sure what it's called. I think aspen vista is the way to go, that way you come out back at your car. Unless of course you ride all the way up from town!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There used to be a jeep road that started a little way down from the top of Aspen Vista that descended to the top of the quad chair. It was steep and loose. Is that the route you took ? Is there another (better) way to get from the radio towers to the top of the quad chair ?

mtbr member
    I'm sure there is. The way I took was not very fun, just straight down one the ski runs. Once I was at the quad I looked back up and saw someone descending what looked to be a trail or road that started a little lower than where I came in. I've only done this twice, both times were different aproaches, once from the ski basin and then up aspen vista....my advice - just do it already!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Leaving town tomorrow for a wedding. Haven't had time lately but will definitely check it out when I come back in a couple weeks.