mtbr member
    May 2007

Any Aztec folks out there?

Thinking of relocating (family of 4), and wanted to hear from anyone that lives in or near the Aztec / Farmington area with regards to cost of living, schools (we have a 6th,and10th grader ), crime and just overall quality / enjoyment of life. I am curious about the outdoor recreation opportunuities that exsist nearby as well. We currently live in North Texas and the closest to any riding, hiking or kayaking is a 20 mile drive, the next closest is an additional 18 miles to our state parks etc. I figure posting this here would put me in touch with like minded people and any thoughts would be appreciated.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    ...any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Wow... well you might not find Farmington to be very Cosmopolitan, but it is an interesting area for recreation. Of course you have Durango just 30 minutes up the road and that has some of the best mt.biking in the country.

You have Cortez a little further a field at about an hour and Phil's Whirled is one of the nicest trails in the SW in my meager book. The whole Delores River Valley up to Lizard Head Pass is spectacular for riding. One of my favorite areas is Stoner Mesa and the Boggy Draw area.

Closer to home you have the Alien Run trail in Aztec that is a real fun roll and there is Pinon Mesa over near Farmington, that is somewhat sandy but challenging. The Road Apple Rally course is more of a two track deal but there is some fun ST there and it has some good whoops.

For water sports you have "Lake Maui" as we call it. Morgan Lake is the cooling pond for the Four Corners Power Plant and it maintains a nice 80 degree temperature year round. It's a hit with the Windsurfing/Kite surfing crowd.

Navajo Lake is a huge lake and is popular for motor-wet-sports.... then there's always fly fishing on the San Juan River!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've lived and raised a family in Farmington - for us it has worked well - if you take an active role in your kids life, focus on the good, and enjoy the diversity, all is well. However, it is a unique area and not for all.

Feel free to PM for more info.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the reply DaGoat, nmfly. Still looking at all possibilities, and there's no real hurry on our part. Just a case of a little movers itch and boredom.

pm'd you nmfly.
    Last edited by keithrad; 01-27-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Stumblebum
    I went to high school and did a bit of undergrad in Farmberg. I loved it -- Goat hit the nail on the head. I'm new to MTB so I've only done a bit there, but there's quite a lot of opportunity. If you're into winter sports, the proximity of Purgatory (DMR) is a real bonus. I used to drive up twice a week after class and still fit in a decent half-day on the mountain.

Flyfishing the SJR quality waters is world-class. Spoiled me to grow up pulling out 18-20 inchers every time I went out.

Chokecherry Canyon literally starts in town and has some of the best off-road driving / four wheeling in the country, also tons of fun for motocross, camping, and rock climbing.

Schools were... schools. Major differences school-to-school. I'd say overall I felt the quality of education to be significantly lower than when I lived in Texas, in spite of the fact that I was pretty young when I moved from El Paso to Farmington. That said, I had a ton of fun in high school there (largely due to outdoor activities), and any concerns about the quality of my education there haven't kept me out of medical school.

San Juan Community College was possibly my favorite school to date (I graduated from SJCC, NMSU, and am currently attending UNM). Seemed well funded for the school size, small classes, very cheap tuition, great gym (better than NMSU / UNM in my opinion), and most of the professors seemed enthusiastic and eager to work with motivated students. I felt the quality of my education was very good. Credits transferred fairly easily to NMSU, I imagine UNM as well. I strongly recommend SJCC to anyone that doesn't mind saving a ton of money while possibly getting a better education than a comparable university. The major downside to knocking out my AS there was the social life. Because nobody in their early twenties stays in Farmington, nobody wants to stay, and vice versa. I found a handful of friends that I became very close with, but the dating scene was lacking.

Crime... kinda depends. Most of the area is very safe, but as always some places are better than others. While there for college, I lived in an apartment with a couple other guys for a whole year without ever owning a key. We never once locked the door and never had an issue, although we had some stuff worth stealing. On the other hand, the "small town" cabin fever can certainly make for some mischief. "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." Alcoholism is an issue. Late night / weekend driving, one must keep a sharp eye out, as the area has one of the highest DWI rates in the nation.

The proximity to the reservation may or may not be a factor you should take into consideration. Differences in the culture and mindset can be frustrating at times, "culture clash" is an issue for a lot of people there. Others become immersed in Native American art and history and wouldn't know what to do without it.

Anyway, hope this is helpful. I loved it there, and I certainly wouldn't mind moving back some day.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks n8henrie for your input, all the feedback has been very insightful. My wife and I will be making a trip up in March for a few days to get acquainted with the area, look at some houses, as well as maybe bringing the bikes to sample the ALIEN RUN trail! Also, can't wait to chow down at Gazpacho's in Durango! mmmmmmmm......
    Definitely looking forward to a little road trip to the high desert!!!!!

mnt bike laws of physics
    I'm not very familiar with Aztec nor have I ridden the Alien Trail. I am wondering about how much of the winter on average is the Alien Run Trail rideable. I know they get more snow than we get here in the Albuqueruqe area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Aztec nor have I ridden the Alien Trail. I am wondering about how much of the winter on average is the Alien Run Trail rideable. I know they get more snow than we get here in the Albuqueruqe area.
    I get up to Farmington and Aztec quite a bit for work. They don't get more snow than us here in Alb. A lot of peeps from Durango come down to Aztec and Farmington to ride during the winter months.

mnt bike laws of physics

weather comparison

Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    I get up to Farmington and Aztec quite a bit for work. They don't get more snow than us here in Alb. A lot of peeps from Durango come down to Aztec and Farmington to ride during the winter months.
    Climatology Comparison for Farmington, NM - weather.com, NM, US&sfld2=Aztec, NM&clocid1=USNM0004&clocid2=USNM0022

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was looking at a possible job in Farmington as well. . . .Is it really only 30 min to Durango??

Goodle maps show about an hour. . . .but I know they can be wrong when it comes to rural 2 lane

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We've come through Aztec on our way home from Durango. It's not a far drive to be sure, will let you know after we get back from our road trip up there next week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrider View Post
    I was looking at a possible job in Farmington as well. . . .Is it really only 30 min to Durango??

Goodle maps show about an hour. . . .but I know they can be wrong when it comes to rural 2 lane
    To get to Durango from Farmington, skip Aztec. Go through Hesperus, CO. A lot quicker. It spits you out in Durango via Bobcat Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    To get to Durango from Farmington, skip Aztec. Go through Hesperus, CO. A lot quicker. It spits you out in Durango via Bobcat Canyon.
    Wildcat Canyon, but close enough. ;-)

Quite a few people here in Durango work down in the Aztec and Farmington area and some even carpool. It would not be difficult to manage. I also know some roadies who will bike down there and back for work in the summer ... Or do half the trip with careful planning. Living in Three Springs / Mercy would give quick access to Aztec. Three Springs has some really good priced new homes (less than $300k) and it's adjacent to the Horse Gulch trail system. Should be able to drive to Aztec in ~40 mins.
    Last edited by Timo; 03-08-2012 at 09:04 AM.