Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Anthony Gap....cleared!

Needing a break from racing and not wanting to deal with the Chupa, Jen and I spent the morning clearing the trail south of Anthony Gap. It's now in great shape and you don't have to worry about getting scratched to death by all the vegetation. We took a weedeater, clippers, and pulaski with us to get everything squared away.

Now that Chupa is over, time to start thinking about the Puzzler. The big loop is going to be really good this year. Just cleaning up that north end by A-Gap should encourage more people to give it a try. You guys from Cruces can shorten your drive by parking off of A-Gap and starting your ride there.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Thread Pollution

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    ... time to start thinking about the Puzzler.
    I'm planning some riding in the LC/EP area in Dec. I know the Coyote course. How do I find my way around the Puzzler? Can it be broken up into smaller segments, and still reach the furthest point(s)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you've got a GPS Dave will be posting the Puzzler course soon, we're hoping by this Sunday to have the main loop. It will be an even 50 miles this year with the top male pro expecting to finish in 5 hours, so it's a slow, technical 50. It will start in the main state park entrance. You'll head down the final climb of the Coyote for the start and will stay right all the way to the far end of the park. At the far end you will head east up an old 2-track towards the mountains, hang a left on a techy trail that follows the bench and that eventually drops you down a small canyon to Anthony Gap. From there the trail works its way to a dirt road and follows that to Hitt Canyon. From there the course will work itself all over the northeast side of the Franklins on some sick new trail and other old trails before high tailing it up and over Mundie's Gap.

I would recomend riding with someone your 1st time around the mountain. For the race it will be extremely well marked but for now.. it's best to be with someone familiar with the course.

When you're ready to come down and ride it, post up, and let us know. We'll hook you up with someone to ride it.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    I'm planning some riding in the LC/EP area in Dec. I know the Coyote course. How do I find my way around the Puzzler? Can it be broken up into smaller segments, and still reach the furthest point(s)?
    In addition to some puzzler recon, when you visit, we have some secret stash we can clue you in the cruces zone.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Here's last year's Puzzler gps track. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4905691

There will be a few major changes in the big loop and the small loop will be a little longer.

Contact me directly and I'll do my best to send you some google earth screen shots of some areas you need to hit while you are in Paso. There is a new trail that is pretty incredible on the east side of the mountains.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tribebabe
    .... It will be an even 50 miles this year with the top male pro expecting to finish in 5 hours, so it's a slow, technical 50. ...
    So, mere mortals should be packing lights whether they think they might need them or not?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    ... we have some secret stash we can clue you in the cruces zone.
    I'll definitely be basing in Cruces, Dave. Looking forward to that.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    So, mere mortals should be packing lights whether they think they might need them or not?
    Mere mortals can do the big loop in a day and you can shortcut the hell out of it too.

If you plan on racing, there will be time cuts at 3 different points. If you don't make the cut, you go to the chow line and start planning for next year!

We will have a Cat 3 category as well that will only do the big loop.
    Last edited by fastmtnbiker33w; 10-15-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    Mere mortals can do the big loop in a day and you can shortcut the hell out of it too.

If you plan on racing, there will be time cuts at 3 different points. If you don't make the cut, you go to the chow line and start planning for next year!

We will have a Cat 3 category as well that will only do the big loop.
    OK, thanks. Between LC and EP, it sounds like a lot of potential for winter fun.

What kind of overall time do you figure would be required to clear all 3 time cuts?

I'm sure the beginners will be thrilled to hear that they won't be expected to do the "cool-down" loop.

How're people currently joining the bmba?

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    We'll give people about 3 hours to get to Anthony Gap...far north end of course.
    Next time check will be at heinrich park. Not sure on how long. Probably 5 hours.

Those will be the only time checks for Cat 3.

Pro, 1,2 will have to make a time cut back at the park to be able to go out on the final lap. There are a lot of small details that we will work out over the next month. We'll have our website finalized by Nov. 30. Just start training for a long one.

To join bmba you can paypal $25 to bmbaelpaso@hotmail.com with all of your personal info....age, address, phone, email. Be sure to include t-shirt size.

Or you can sign up at a club event.

Blog this...!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    First loop of the Puzzler is gps'd. You can find it on the thread below.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...27#post5003027

It's gonna be a butt kicker for sure.

Makachewy....please come down and SS this course....I dare you!

Blog this...!