mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Angel Fire to Taos

A small group from Kansas will be riding in the AF area June 20,21 and 22 and want to know if the CC trail from Angel Fire to Taos in well marked. My understanding is that there are a lot of criss-crossed trails and marking has been an issue if you don't know the trails. Can someone give us an idea or direct me to a map that is pretty workable? Any locals free on those days want to ride with us and show us the way? We will give you a ride back to AF after the ride as we will have a truck to haul ourselves back. Probably even supply you with post ride brewskis! Thanks for any help. Kelly

banned
    PM greg de taos

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The SBT is not well marked these days, the signs keep getting in fights with shotguns.
    A guide or GPS is in order as there are more and more atv tracks every year, I have just about every possible permutation on GPS now and will gladly share. Jarocita is well marked and as sweet as it gets, EBT is really hard to follow if you ask me, I get lost up there quite a bit. Mondragon has no signs but is pretty easy to follow. I really like the out and back from town, hard to get lost that way.
    I rode the North Boundary on Saturday. It was hell. I loved it. Right about 9000 feet of climbing over 75 miles including my trip to and from the trail. I made a good set of GPS data for it if anyone wants. There are sections on that trial that are as hard as anything I have seen or ridden.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll be with Kelly and we're looking for the Angel Fire to Taos track. 75 miles sounds like a huge haul up there.

Thanks,

Marty

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Marty, the thing about that route is that you have to get up there first, most avoid the mega shuttle that is the drive all the way over the mountain to Angle Fire to gain a four mile not too fun climb. Can I recommend a shorter shuttle or a loop? You will actually get more riding and help keep the traffic/pollution down on the little road that connects the two towns. that is why we discuss the other trails, it has become my mantra but do you have GPS?

It was a long haul, as some here can attest, I am a bit of a glutton.

PM me and I will do what I can.

Greg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey Greg, sorry to change the subject but you are my only hope of checking on trail/snow downed trees on the Taos to Goose Creek ride. I have started clearing east fork so It should be clear in a few weeks. Anyway how about a trail report please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have not been up that way yet...might be time for a look see. Let me know if you want some help up there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey Greg, thanks for the offer. I hope to check the trail out maybe mon . Any chance you taken a peek?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We are headed that way tomorrow, I will let you know. Monday could work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We tried to get to Goose Lake yesterday up and over Gold Hill, too much snow to get down. There is still a lot of snow up there. Mosquitos are rather tropical as well. We could make it over at Middle Fork, did Lost Lake and back over, Lost Lake is almost impassable with 5' high snow drifts with some really sketchy traverses. Lots of down trees up there on the down side. Was surprised at all the snow still. Greg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the scouting Greg. Does not sound good for our planned loops. How soon on the way up to Lost from Middlefork did you hit the drifts?, I guess continuing up towards the east fork cut off would be tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    About a mile from Lost Lake we hit snow on the trail. A really noisy Marmot at the same time. I wouldn't recommend riding the East side as it is wilderness. If you park at the trail head for trail 191 and do that side as an out and back, it is one of my favorite rides anywhere. A great day is out and back to Lost Lake then up the road to 191 up and back there. *****in' day!

mtbr member
    Hey Greg, one other question. Did you go up from the Taos side? I was wondering how that trail was from there over to Middlefork, was there a lot of drifts on that section? We just wanted to start at the ski valley and ride over to Brian's (Lambo's) cabin. We have people to bring our vehicles around. I've only gone from that Bull of Woods intersection towards Goose, does the trail to Middlefork start around there also? FYI- Brian said he has cleared all the East fork trail up to the Wilderness boundary sign. Also where is 191, I don't know that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes I went from the Taos side up to the place where you can see down to goose lake, down that trail was in bad shape. West Fork is not that bad. Trail 191 runs up the East Fork and all the way to Williams Lake. Middle Fork starts at Bull O' The Woods and goes over to the same trail head as Lost Lake. 191 (East Fork) starts about a mile northeast of there up a dirt road (Wheeler Peak Rd.) It was rough winter. There are a number of trees down with the roots still attached right in/ on the trail. You have GPS?
    Last edited by greg de taos; 06-25-2009 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

The Green is What you Want.

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks, and sorry to bug you about this, but that area from Bull/woods down has been hard to figure out. Doesn't that green route descend down through some private land before popping out at the Middlefork/Lost trailhead? We had permission last year and went up that way to get to bull-of-the-woods pasture. It was an old road that turned into an un-rideably steep, not fun mining trail and we eventually found it. Were we on the right trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You are not bugging me it is fun. That trail does suck but what it opens up is amazing, that is why I normally do the slog up to Goose Lake overlook and down there, much prettier and a better ride except for the climb down to goose. Have never had any problems with the private land in that area, maybe I have been missing something.

mtbr member
    By the way, you are welcome to join us. We will be about 15 guys just riding as much as we can for 4 days. Check out our ride blog: http://greatesthitsride.blogspot.com/
    I think we'll be at Taos Ski Valley by around 10am on Friday the 3rd. We'll head over to see Middlefork, Lost, then go for some East Fork.