mtbr member

Alright New Mexico, let's talk about rubbers...

...tires of course!

We're having a debate in our household and at my office about tires since many of us are in need of a new set going into this year.

Many have ran WTB Weirwolfs with great results, although a bit heavy.

I'm currently running Conti X-Kings on the 29er, which have great grip, but have worn faster than I would like (especially for the price). Also busted the sidewall on Dale Ball way to easily. The Specialized The Captains on the AM bikes are fantastic all around, but not the quickest on hardpack/road use. Definitely grip well in most conditions, not being particular best at anything, but good at everything.

Anywho, what's everyone running out here? We're looking for some 29er tires for the La Tierra trails, around town, etc. Thinking of putting some Maxxis Crossmarks in the rear and an Ardent in the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You wouldn't be disappointed with the Crossmarks on both ends. I used the UST version on my sixer, and found them to be fast, with great traction and a stable feel. The Monorails are also great, but do not come in 29. Currently running Geax AKA TNT's on my niner, which although an amazing tire under a variety of XC conditions, will wear exceptionally fast on the rear. But I will bite the bullet and replace the rear as needed, because it is such a great tread, and the TNT sidewall is bombproof. The first two I bought each weighed 50g lighter than manufac. spec.

I personally wouldn't ride in the SW without some sort of sidewall reinforcement. Either true UST or a reinforced sidewall like Geax TNT's or Schwalbe Snakeskin's, etc.

mtbr member
    You gotta weigh what you want in a good rubber. Weight versus duability. Grip versus rolling resistance. I have not been happy with wtb. My faviort brand is GEAX. Id recomend the aka its fast with good grip and very solid. Works best as a back tire. Then throw a barro mountain on the front....
    My 29er has a weirwolf up front and a mazcal (geax) on the back... gonna try out some schalbes next only complaint ive heard is price

mtbr member
    Yeah, learned that about them sidewalls pretty quick down here. The Contis came stock, so can't complain there. I've been reading good things about Geax and that might be the route to go.

...looking into the AKA

Airborne Flight Crew
    Like the AKA's on the 29er, but not in anything loose. Running Nevegals now, rolling resistance is high, but I like the traction and they wear well.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I've had good results from my weirwolfs but haven't liked them enough to buy again. The only reason that I bought them was that I got a UST set off of Chain Love for $30.

I just bought a set of HDs. I'd been looking at them for a while but wasn't thrilled with the near $100 price tag. I ended up buying them from bike-discount.de for $50/ea, shipped. They've been in customs for a week so if you need them in a hurry then I'd pony up and buy them at an LBS.
    I'm hungry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mungry View Post
    I've had good results from my weirwolfs but haven't liked them enough to buy again. The only reason that I bought them was that I got a UST set off of Chain Love for $30.

I just bought a set of HDs. I'd been looking at them for a while but wasn't thrilled with the near $100 price tag. I ended up buying them from bike-discount.de for $50/ea, shipped. They've been in customs for a week so if you need them in a hurry then I'd pony up and buy them at an LBS.
    Hd... hans dampf?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Hd... hans dampf?
    Yep.
    I'm hungry

mtbr member
    Kenda Telonix strong, great traction but heavy and slow. Contis wear rate is about $1/mile. ITS System weak construction/materials. Rocket Rons? Really light, fast, bit expensive. Best one recently was Geax Barrow Mountain. Best overall compromise: light, fast, strong, predictable traction. I would definitely get those again... especially if they were on sale again for <$30. Besides, you can drive people crazy pronouncing it 'geeks'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have also become a fan of geax tires, my saguaro's are maybe the best I've tried for my riding style. Gonna try some geax gatos as they sound like great full knobbys.

I <3 NM
    I ran a set of tubleless ExiWolfs on my Pivot 429 until they were bare on NM dirt from Las Cruces to Taos. Great tire for the area trails.

Replaced them with tubleless Hans Dampfs, an excellent tire for the rough stuff (a bit heavy for pure xc at 850g). A good alternative would be a Nobby Nic on the rear and HD up front.

I also have a Kenda Nevegal as a front tire on my SS and a SmallBlock 8 on the rear - no problems and they are also set up tubeless.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

saddlemeat
    I run Maxxis Ardents front and rear, 2.4s on the rigid bike, 2.25s on the FSR. I have no complaints after 3 years, I love the 2.4s, but I'm thinking of trying something else out of curiosity/boredom, maybe the Wierwolf 2.3.
    Making the smack track baby.

A Useful Bear
    is a handy thing...

mtbr member
    Is there anywhere here that sales Geax? Would like to see em in person. Still leaning towards the Maxxis combo at the moment.

The trick for the 29er is that often times it's our bar running bike that then gets taken out on trails. Something quicker than that Contis would be nice. I leave the knobby stuff for the FS.

mtbr member
    You can check out the geeks at bike works in abq they always have a bunch in stock.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Is there anywhere here that sales Geax? Would like to see em in person. Still leaning towards the Maxxis combo at the moment.

The trick for the 29er is that often times it's our bar running bike that then gets taken out on trails. Something quicker than that Contis would be nice. I leave the knobby stuff for the FS.
    ExiWolfs or SmallBlock 8's would be good for that application
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    oops, I also have WTB Wolverines on my SS. Fast rolling, fun tire. I don't ride my SS too much so I can't speek to how much life you could expect from them. I think they're a great tire for the foothills. I towed the kids in a trailer on the bosque paved trail and they roll fine on pavement. They definitely make more noise on pavement than the small block 8's.
    I'm hungry

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got the Geax Aka's on the 26er right now (tubeless TNT version). Only been out a few times but pretty pleased so far. A very fast tire! I've got the front on the speed orientation and rear on traction. This is a switch from the Saguaro on the rear and Mutano up front. Reviews say the Aka's wear very quickly but I got a great deal on them so I'm giving them a whirl. Will follow up with some more detail once I've run them for a while longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    You wouldn't be disappointed with the Crossmarks on both ends. I used the UST version on my sixer, and found them to be fast, with great traction and a stable feel.\
    Strange, they came on both of our SC bikes and we had the opposite experience with crossmarks. They had the tendency to wash out with little to no warning on hardpack & softpack on the foothill trails. Never rode them long enough to find out about sidewall strength.

Switched to continental MKIIs running ghetto tubeless on both bikes and have been pretty happy. Somewhat light, roll fairly fast, and have not torn any sidewalls out, even woth my clyde/blind riding style
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I am Klainmeister's girlfriend, and I am about to complete my own 29er hardtail. Thus that is one of the bikes in our group requiring new tires. I am running a WTB Stout up front and (just recently) an Ardent on the rear of my AM bike. I am liking the grip on the Ardent much better than the ExiWolf I used to have. I plan to use the 29er on trails such as La Tierra and the Rail Trail. I had never considered Geax before... I might have to give them a try! Again, we are grateful for all of the great advice!