mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Albuquerque Volcanoes

This is a fun winter ride on the west side:

Albuquerque Volcanoes Mountain Bike Trail, Lee Acres, NM

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ride the volcanoes nearly once a week. The convenience of rolling out from the garage makes it a staple for getting saddle time when time is short. Goatheads are really bad there this year, and it has already gotten really sandy. Try starting from the parking lot located by Maloof Air Park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you for the additional info. I have updated the page.

Have you ridden to "Bond" volcano to the north? It looks pretty low, which means it may be possible to ride up onto it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know the names of the volcanoes but the furthest northern one has an old jeep trail that goes right over the top. You can ride down the back side and either connect with the paved trail or ride down the power line road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Heading out there tomorrow. I typically ride there form down two - wend my way up arroyos south of Bosque School and that dumps you out at Unser. At the entrance to Petroglyphs Nat'l monument @ western and Unser you can take a trail to the Mesa that connects with an old cut that leads up to the Mesa top and eventually the volcanoes. A good 35-40 miles or more if you include northern most volcano. Things became quite eroded out there after last summer's big storm events though and I have barely been back up since.

I have noticed single track coming off the north side of that northern volcano. Followed one back up for a while once but ran out of time. Looked promising. You can actually ride up all the volcanoes. It's good strength building for climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride the area couple times a week. There are a bunch of single/double track trails that go all over the place out there. It is fairly rocky out there, but I have ridden my rigid single speed bike around the place just bit slower pace.

The rain tore it up pretty bad last year, but it is getting back to what it was before with a few spots that are still washed out a bit with drop offs and such.