Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ZEN RIDER!

Albuquerque & AM Riding

Hey all

Quick question, my other half & I are considering NM for relocation.
    How far are the trail systems from Albuquerque & are they Aggressive trail & AM riding.
    My only stipulation when we move is it must be warm, temperate & have local biking.
    Where i am now I have a dozen trail systems with in an hour & 6 within a 20 minute radius.

thank you
    E
    Life in every breath

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E
    Hey all

Quick question, my other half & I are considering NM for relocation.
    How far are the trail systems from Albuquerque & are they Aggressive trail & AM riding.
    My only stipulation when we move is it must be warm, temperate & have local biking.
    Where i am now I have a dozen trail systems with in an hour & 6 within a 20 minute radius.

thank you
    E
    Our riding season pretty much never ends. The foothills are good 12 months out of the year and hundreds of miles of single track within 30 minutes drive time are good 9 months of the year. Lots of options for some great aggressive trails. Temps in the summer average in the mid to upper 80's with a few hot spells up in the 90's. Fall, which I feel is the best time here averages in the 70's and the winter months typically average in the mid 40's. Abq is one of the few places that I know of where one can ski in the morning and go for a bike ride in the afternoon with no problems at all.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Fantastic riding for sure with plenty of top quality AM in the east mountains, SF, and Jemez. Personally, I can only ride there in the summer because it is not "temperate" and warm enough. Though Alb is mostly in the 40s in the winter the riding areas are often cooler and snow covered. Also the low humidity, frequent winds, and altitude makes that already dreadful 40 feel more like 10. Check out Cruces (kind of boring) but good riding and decent weather or Tucson. Tucson has at least 25 good riding areas within an hour. There are also nearby high altitude riding areas for escaping the summer heat as it does get warm in the summer.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

banned
    We don't ride in the morning. We're mostly PM riders. You might want to look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Booodoommmmmm chhhhhhhhhhh

ZEN RIDER!
    Thank you for the replies.
    Where i am now I have 2 months of really cold weather down to minus 20
    and this past winter we had snow onthe ground for almost 3 months solid.
    Just looking to escape the extreme cold & muggy summers.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    where r u?

ZEN RIDER!
    I am in CT near UCONN
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    this would be a better climate than conneticut...you'd have to drive to phoenix, tucson, el paso, las cruces for really warm in the winter. Not much snow on the ground here though. Might be a bit of a culture shock for ya. How about san diego?

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa
    this would be a better climate than conneticut...you'd have to drive to phoenix, tucson, el paso, las cruces for really warm in the winter. Not much snow on the ground here though. Might be a bit of a culture shock for ya. How about san diego?
    Why would anyone in their right mind move to California in the current times?

banned
    ...you'd have to drive to phoenix, tucson, el paso, las cruces for really warm in the winter.
    I hear they ride a lot in the AM, too!

mtbr member
    As a former midwest native, Albuquerque is warm enough for someone coming from Conneticut. This past winter my heavy coat never left my closet.

The Arizona heat would kill someone from the northern states.

My top two picks would be NM and Colorado. While CO is colder, in relative terms, its warm compared to the midwest and northeast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    Why would anyone in their right mind move to California in the current times?
    Plus with Land use issues, San Diego was one of the worst places I've ever ridden, Unless of course you ride xc!!

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NE2NM
    My top two picks would be NM and Colorado. While CO is colder, in relative terms, its warm compared to the midwest and northeast.
    You kidding there are new trails every year to ride in the twin cities every winter. We also had cool custom tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Eric B - you WANT more people riding here?

Fragilie
    Eric B - you WANT more people riding here?
    Hey, I'm an honest guy and tell it like I see it. Ca is crap hole. I'm suprised we don't have more riders than we do anyway and I'm sure we could use some more advocates.

likes beer
    how many cities have a 10,600 ft mountain in the city limits (basically)

For all the minuses that Albq has, there's a bunch of overlooked plusses.(sp?)

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by manida
    how many cities have a 10,600 ft mountain in the city limits (basically)

For all the minuses that Albq has, there's a bunch of overlooked plusses.(sp?)
    Gotta agree with that. Although I dont see many minus' really other than the occasional horse chips. Anyone whose ridden in Cali see's (way too many people) or back east (way too much mud....) or up north (too cold and too much snow). Abq is the place to be for riding. Here there are very few people on the trails, when it rains you only have to wait till the next day for the trail to be dry (in the foothills the trail is so compacted you can ride IN the rain without doing any damage) and it almost never snows in town....

I feel blessed to be here. How many people live in a city of 700,000 people and can go riding in a mountain afterwork, everyday if they wanted, and still be home in time for dinner?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9
    Gotta agree with that. Although I dont see many minus' really other than the occasional horse chips. Anyone whose ridden in Cali see's (way too many people) or back east (way too much mud....) or up north (too cold and too much snow). Abq is the place to be for riding. Here there are very few people on the trails, when it rains you only have to wait till the next day for the trail to be dry (in the foothills the trail is so compacted you can ride IN the rain without doing any damage) and it almost never snows in town....

I feel blessed to be here. How many people live in a city of 700,000 people and can go riding in a mountain afterwork, everyday if they wanted, and still be home in time for dinner?
    Amen to that brotha!

banned
    Preaching to the choir...

mtbr member
    Yep. Albuquerque and everything around it is awesome MTB terrain for every style of MTB riding. It's hard to beat.

banned

Yup!

10,600' ...

All the way down to 6500' (give or take )

...and everything in between

7MGTE
    Amazing, truly amazing!!!

The Unbeliever
    I live in North Carolina--a veritable paradise for MTBing, but Albuquerque looks very appealing. My wife and I want to move there. I hope there is an ample supply of good restaurants, too, as my second passion is eating.
    On the one hand it's who you know, and over here you got favoritism - H.I. McDonough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Fool Seven
    I live in North Carolina--a veritable paradise for MTBing, but Albuquerque looks very appealing. My wife and I want to move there. I hope there is an ample supply of good restaurants, too, as my second passion is eating.

Great food in the area and cheap.
    Of course you can drop $50+ per person on dinner if you really want to do so, but why, when you can get a great meal for approximately $15 a person.

Hey, I'm headed to the Charlotte area in late July for 3 days for work. Any suggestions on trails and a place to rent a bike?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast