The Weatherman

Alamogordo Local Trails/Riders

I moved from Omaha, NE to Alamogordo, NM about a week ago and am starting to scope out local trail options.

I haven't tried any of the trails yet (bikes are not down here yet).

I know about the ride options listed here on mtbr up in Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, and over in Las Cruces, but was wondering if there is anything more "local"...as in I don't have to drive 30 minutes + to get to a trailhead. I'd like to be able to ride my bike to a trailhead for afterwork and lunchtime quickies, then save the car trip rides for the weekends.

I don't even need singletrack, fire roads/doubletrack/gravel would work as well. I also have access to Holloman AFB, so if there are trails there that would be great too.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to riding down here when my house, etc gets all settled away.

Thanks,

Pawn

Hey, wait up!
    Welcome to South NM.

Is there still a bike shop in Alamogordo? You could talk to them.

I understand there are some dirt roads and maybe even trails on the east side of town that climb through and around the foothills.

Nothing beats some good old fashioned exploricating.

Send pics of what you find.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Hey, wait up!
    Detail from this rather large pdf file
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

The Weatherman
    Dave,

Awesome! That map is exactly what I needed. It looks like there are tons of options for me to ride without putting the bike on top of the car!

Not sure about the quality of some of these trails, but definite possibility of an epic misadventure checking them out.

Here is another link I found describing each of those trails:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/lincoln/recr...TMR-GIS-48.pdf

By the way, do you flat often down here? I am coming from the land of nice-packed singletrack with noticeable lack of rocks/thorns/ouchies. It's been a long time since I had to consider things like mechanicals (all the trails in NE are mouse-mazes where even if you flat, it's easier to just hop back to the car and fix it there, versus carrying gear with you.)

I have a feeling it will pay to carry gear down here!

Thanks again. I'll post pics/ride reports once I get out there.

Pawn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawndream
    By the way, do you flat often down here? I am coming from the land of nice-packed singletrack with noticeable lack of rocks/thorns/ouchies. It's been a long time since I had to consider things like mechanicals (all the trails in NE are mouse-mazes where even if you flat, it's easier to just hop back to the car and fix it there, versus carrying gear with you.)
    You'd be well advised to convert to tubeless with sealant before the move, or at the very least start running Slime tubes.

I'm further north in ABQ where the thorns and cacti are less abundant than in southern NM, and I couldn't imagine not running a tubeless w/sealant setup. I ran Slime tubes for a few years which kinda did the job, but the tubeless w/Stan's setup has fared much better.

Spare tubes, tools, more water and food than you think you'll need, jacket for the summertime afternoon thunderstorms, etc., are all important to carry with you unless you are doing very short, very familiar rides.

Tons of great riding in NM, you're in for a treat.

mtbr member
    Hello pawndream, and welcome to God's Country!! (New Mexico!). I've riddne along the base of the mountain in Alamo, by going to the big park east of town and just ridding around the dirt roads and trails. basically it goes along the base of the mtn., north/south. I agree with the go tubeless or at least slime tubes, the devils weed (goathead) will get you!! it's just a question of..............time when one rides in NM.
    Again, welcome and have fun!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

The Weatherman
    Thread necromancy...

Okay, so it's been a few months and I've checked out a few of the local trails (Cerro Jornado, Cloudcroft Rim Trail, and Alamo Canyon). CJ and Rim were pretty cool. Alamo sucked for biking (probably would be a great hike.)

I finally hit the foothills behind my house this last week. About 5-7 mile of doubletrack (with some sketchy...lots of exposure...singletrack that I haven't fully explored yet)

Here is what I have right in my backyard. Decent riding for quickies that don't require driving to a trailhead. Trailhead is right out my garage...

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Well you found Cloud. Good riding. There is some riding too at the lower elevations. The trail starts somewhere behind La Luz and brings up to Carr Canyon

There is some riding over in Ruidoso. Don't forget, you can drive down to El Paso and hit the northeast trails. Cruces has A-Mnt and the Dona Anas. You can also head*north to Socorro or Albuquerque and hit the east mnts. Also don't forget, a drive over the mountain to the east will put you in Carlsbad where you can ride the Cueva Trails and visit the cave.
    There was a shop in Alamo called outdoor adventures and the owner, Mark used to lead crazy long weekend rides. His road rides are also fun.

Although flat, you can always pedal out to the WS Monument and ride a loop through the park
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H