Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    here to make friends

Alamo Peak (Cloudcroft to Alamogordo)

Years ago I did the HA Chubby Tire Rendevouz, might have been the last one, and we did a great ride from Cloudcroft all the way down to Alamogordo (ride finished by riding down the big white "A" in town). It was great, about 16 miles, 14 of it downhill, and just an overall good time. Unfortunately this was pre-gps, with a bunch of mostly locals, and I wasn't leading the ride so I can't re-create it confidently. I know exactly where we started, and I know exactly where we ended. I just know there are lots of trails up there, they didn't used to be so well marked and I would likely be doing this solo and would rather not get lost.

So bottom line, is there a good useable map or gpx file available for this ride? I don't have a GPS but could get one for this purpose, but would really just prefer a map with good directions and trail #'s (assuming trail #'s are now better marked). I will be in town next weekend, well this coming one too actually, and would like to do this ride again. If there are no locals around that want to do it, I'd be doing it solo. I know Matt Willett at High Altitude and I know I could stop by and get a handwritten map or verbal directions, but with my kids and mom waiting for me at the bottom of the mountain I'd rather be more safe than sorry.

Can anyone help a brother out? Last time I did this I was on a Klein Attitude and got the sh*t beat out of me, but was still the 3rd guy to get to the bottom. Would love to go back and remember the fun with 6" of travel...hell the term "all mountain" hadn't even been coined yet

Thanks in advance - Eric

mtbr member
    Was it all singletrack, or was there jeep road thrown in there? And was it one continuous trail, or did you split off on various occasions? I might have found a possible trail, but the instructions are very vague.

Is the bike OK?
    I don't know anything about the course but there will be Long Super-D race there in May: http://www.southwestgravity.com/gravity-races.html. Tony G (Bikeworks) was thinking about pre-riding it this weekend.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Cool! I always wondered about a trail there when I live in LC, but never heard about it until now.

here to make friends
    It was 90% singletrack, there was a dirt road (pretty sure it was a forest service road, not a rugged jeep road) for about 2 miles that linked the singletrack together. Coincidentally those 2 miles of dirt road were pretty much the only uphill part of the ride...

I can't believe I am the only one on here that has actually ridden this route before...anything you can share is appreciated Nenbran. I'll call HA if I have to! Thanks

High Alpine Adventure
    Well you might be talking about the "A" Trail (T119)... Not much but here is something;

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4565crx.aspx

I have never ridden Cloudcroft, but this too might be worth the exploration. It's a rail trail but they can be fun...

http://www.railstotrails.org/news/re...ives/0610.html

And maybe their map might help...

http://www.nmrailstotrails.org/maps/...rails_8x11.jpg

Leave it to a goat to find a route!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

here to make friends
    Yeah, it wasn't a Rail-To-Trail. I'm familiar with that route already. A Trail is the bottom part, I am looking for more beta on the top half.

mtbr member
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4565crx.aspx

The oldest review describes a trail that can supposedly go the distance from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo. His instructions are a bit...lacking though. But maybe it's something?

I would definitely recommend calling the guys at High Altitude...I'm sure they can help you out.

Please post whatever info you find, if you don't mind! This is something I'm very interested in, as I used to live in the Cloudcroft area and I love it there.

here to make friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran
    as I used to live in the Cloudcroft area and I love it there.
    +1! Me too. Lucky my parents ended up in Alamogordo so I still have occasion to come over from Phx, like bringing the grandkids for a visit. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks,

Eric

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks a lot, Eric. I appreciate it. Hopefully I can make it out to Cloudcroft someday and get a good ride in.

Brennan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd be interested in any information you might dig up on this. I'm moving to Cloud Croft in May so the more info i can get on the area the happier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Cloudcroft Jackhammer Super D on may 22 2011

www.southwestgravity.com Its gonna be the first super D in the southwest !!!

The Weatherman
    I've ridden down A-Trail on a hardtail...yeah. I won't be doing that again!

There are several different ways you could do a descent from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo. Probably the most straightforward would be to shuttle to Cloudcroft then ride the Trestle trail down to Westside Road. Follow Westside Road south to link up with A-Trail...then bomb down into Alamogordo.

Last summer, I rode from Alamogordo to Dry Canyon, then over to A-Trail, then back to Alamo. Long ride. I ended up walking most of A-Trail because it was just too sketchy and rocky for my tastes.

There are other ways of getting a massive downhill run in though. You could also do the Alamo Canyon run. That one starts near Sacramento Peak and is like 12 miles of downhill.

Talk to the guys at High Altitude. They have some downhillers that frequent that store. I am an XC guy myself.

The Weatherman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy
    It was 90% singletrack, there was a dirt road (pretty sure it was a forest service road, not a rugged jeep road) for about 2 miles that linked the singletrack together. Coincidentally those 2 miles of dirt road were pretty much the only uphill part of the ride...

I can't believe I am the only one on here that has actually ridden this route before...anything you can share is appreciated Nenbran. I'll call HA if I have to! Thanks

BTW...pretty sure that forest road you are referring to is West Side Road (aka FR90). North/South stretch of Forest Road.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat111
    www.southwestgravity.com Its gonna be the first super D in the southwest !!!
    Fairly certain I'm going to enter that... will be first non dh race, so the 'enduro' part (climbing) will be interesting. So, yeah, also interested in any beta on the course/trail...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

here to make friends
    Looking at a Google Earth map, I think you are right. It's getting to that road that might prove difficult without direction. I guess I will put this idea on ice until someone makes a GPS map available so I don't have to worry. Actually its not me that worries, it's those that would shuttle me. I can survive plenty long and figure out getting down, but with people worried about it just adds a whole other level of stress. I'm sure there is a map floating about, perhaps one from the "Super D Race" that they don't want to publish to stop pre-running the course. Which I for the record think is bullsh*t, but whatever. Again another MTBR community #fail. Luckily I have ample reason to visit the area and will be back and I will get a map, and I will do the ride with or without those that know it exists and won't share the route. I'll make sure to use a GPS and plaster the route here and wherever it is requested. It's not a special private land affair, it's just f-ing forest land for christ's sake. Thank a heap.

The Weatherman
    Looking at a Google Earth map, I think you are right. It's getting to that road that might prove difficult without direction. I guess I will put this idea on ice until someone makes a GPS map available so I don't have to worry.
    I don't think you need GPS to chart a downhill course from Sunspot Highway down to Alamogordo. All you need is a good map. I have ridden miles and miles of trails, forest roads, etc all through Lincoln National Forest using just two sources:

Lincoln National Forest Trail Map (you can buy this for like $10 at the Ranger Station...waterproof, awesome...best $10 you'll spend if you plan on riding Lincoln National Forest).

Lincoln National Forest Trail Guide: 180 page trail bible that describes most of the trails...granted, it's mainly written with a hikers perspective, but it gives you a good idea of what you are getting into ($20 - also well worth it).

I've posted some trail reviews here on mtbr of different Cloudcroft loops, because there wasn't much out there when I moved here....just Rim Trail and some vague descriptions of "Cloudcroft trails"...gee, thanks for that! Won't help you much though because it's more XC-type trails.

At any rate. FR90 "West Side Road" is super easy to find. If you ride just about any forest road, trail, logging road, etc west off of Sunspot highway, you WILL run into FR90. Just a matter of picking how you want to do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

not hard..

It starts at the ALAMO PEAK at the end of Alamo Peak Road off of Sunspot hwy(mile marker 5 or 6 or 7) go right ... Then to FR 90 then to A-trail.. Anyone is welcome to pre-ride the course !!! Its no secret......... It is back country .. I am NOT TRYING TO HIDE ANYTHING !!! This series is a FUNN DEALIO !!! If your NOT having FUNN , Dont go..

The Weatherman
    I was scared shitless when I rode down A-Trail on my HARDTAIL, w/ only 100mm of fork travel....and no body armor!

Hats off to the crazy bastards that are going to ride down that rock-strewn babyhead-fest on the big bikes...AT SPEED!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did you start on Alamo Peak road? If so then you probably did Alamo Peak trail (T109) down to West side road then took that till you got to "A" Trail (T119). I myself have done this and T109 is a fun ride. The main problem is T119, it is a double black and seriously not for the faint of heart.

I am definately looking to go riding Rim trail this weekend. Any one Game?

The Weatherman
    I have been pondering going up in the mountains this weekend. Do you know if the trails are dry yet?

I haven't been up there in a few months an was wondering how soupy they would be.

BTW. My experience down T119 did not include T109. I rode from Alamogordo to 82. Up 82 to Dry Canyon (T5574). Dry Canyon to T119 (A-Trail). Brutal ride.

Double Black is an understatement! Massive penalty for failure all the way down, and plenty of opportunities to fail.

I have notified my wife (who works at the hospital in Alamogordo) about the downhill race. Business should be BOOMING that weekend!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you have a second Vehicle, I would be totally up for doing Rim Trail. It's that or I may pull a 127 hours movie and head out to Socorro, camp out, and check out a few of the trails there on Saturday morning.

Definately looking to start riding a LOT more and looking for people to do it with since it seems that most of those I work with don't have the time or the inclination to go.

EDIT: And yeah, they didn't get much snow up there this year. I have already rode Rim twice within the last few weeks. Think last weekend there were only two downed trees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    double X(

here to make friends
    I finally figured it out...its T119 to West Side Road to T109...too bad I was there a week ago...guess I'll just have to go back in May and do the ride!

mtbr member
    I finally figured it out...its T119 to West Side Road to T109...too bad I was there a week ago...guess I'll just have to go back in May and do the ride!
    Say...when in May are you gonna be riding?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast