mtbr member

Advice requested re: SS on the SBT?

Some friends are talking about heading to ride South Boundary Trail in a week or so and I was curious about doing it on my SS 29er (Monocog Flight w/ a Fox F29 100). I've ridden Monarch Crest (including Agate Creek if that means anything... rocky descents, some climbing but nothing too tough) and some other pretty long rides.

I have been riding all summer on the Monocog and it is just a blast. I also have a full squish Santa Cruz Blur - also a great ride - but I haven't been on it much. Whenever I do ride it I think, "This is a great bike!", but there's the magic of those 29" wheels...

The question is Moncog or Blur?

Thanks,
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If they are both "great rides" why do you need to ask a bunch of jerks?
    Single Speeds suck. And 29er's are worse.
    "Show em how we do it in the 505, show up late and leave early!" -Pete

Thread Pollution
    Jerk says single it , suck & make it the worst .

Bearlike

Tourism Office from Hell

As you can see,

There is always a straight answer when one needs it.

You'll be fine ridin' 29.

Have fun, just don't put a ground squirrel in your knickers.

Brian
    Is a mirage real? Well, it's a real mirage.-E. Abbey

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You'll be fine. I've done both MCT and SBT on gears and SS (32x22 29er). SBT is definitely more difficult climbing, but still do-able by this out of shape geriatric Clydesdale. Have fun!
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    Some friends are talking about heading to ride South Boundary Trail in a week or so and I was curious about doing it on my SS 29er (Monocog Flight w/ a Fox F29 100). I've ridden Monarch Crest (including Agate Creek if that means anything... rocky descents, some climbing but nothing too tough) and some other pretty long rides.

I have been riding all summer on the Monocog and it is just a blast. I also have a full squish Santa Cruz Blur - also a great ride - but I haven't been on it much. Whenever I do ride it I think, "This is a great bike!", but there's the magic of those 29" wheels...

The question is Moncog or Blur?

Thanks,
    S
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    3 votes for SS 29er... and one incomprehensible heckler in the front who I think is probably a fellow wise@$$ SSer as well... that's enough for me to make a sound decision on. I'll make sure I show up late and leave early as well... like I tell all the apprentice carpenters I teach..."I've cut this board twice and it's still too short!"

Thanks for the suggestions... it looks like it's going to be in a couple of weeks - so I'll see how I'm riding but right now I'll probably take the SS. I'll leave the ground squirrel in the knickers for another ride... when I know these folks better perhaps...

Part of it is that I'm riding with folks I don't know ( I'm meeting a friend and he hasn't ridden with them either) and if I'm needing to walk I'd hate to be the one to slow everyone down. I can usually climb pretty well, but as you know sometimes walking is par for the course - but if everyone else has 6" is the rear 9so to speak) then I'll be the slow SS geek who slowed everyone else down...

Nice to see the warm welcome from the LoE is still alive and well... I used to ski Taos a bunch in the early 90s with a group of tele skiers and I was always treated amazingly well and shown a fantastic time. Looks like I'll head down friday evening, meet a friend from Los Alamos, camp out somewhere, do some fly fishing and some riding on sat then meet a group of his friends Sunday to ride SBD.

Littlebear73 & NMJoe,
    I like both final quotes... big Ed Abbey fan
    NMJoe, is that from Ed Whymper's, Scrambles Amongst the Alps?

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the bike depends on what your are going to do on the SBT. If you are shuttling to near the top and just doing the downhill thing I would bring the squishy. If you are going to climb, you will whip all the big travel bikes up the hill. If you are with a certain crowd, you will beat them down the hill too. Big travel doesn't always equal fast downhill. Have fun.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    It's actually from the 5th chapter of Paul's letter to the Romans, and seemed appropriate for me, a God-fearin' sometimes singlespeeder.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by stevereeneo
    Littlebear73 & NMJoe,
    I like both final quotes... big Ed Abbey fan
    NMJoe, is that from Ed Whymper's, Scrambles Amongst the Alps?

S
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Greg,
    Thanks... I've just heard they're running a shuttle and i'm thinkin' the Blur will be the ride - I'm going to do some time on that steed this weekend just to get used to riding the 26" wheels again ... though I think once I start riding it I'm going to want a 29er full squish...

Really, it's not an addiction... I can stop getting bikes whenever I want... I just CHOOSE to get new ones .. they're better... more fun... lighter... easier on my 43 year old bones...

Thanks for the suggestion.
    S

Bandolero

Good News Everyone

Sweet Zombie Jesus....

You can't ride SBT on a SS. Or a 29er. You'll put your eye out!

You need at least a 36 lb 6.5" travel bike for that. Nobody, and I mean, nobody would attempt SBT on a 29er SS unless they were insane, drunk or a person with helmet hair

Trust me, you'll hate it.

See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Sweet Zombie Jesus....

You can't ride SBT on a SS. Or a 29er. You'll put your eye out!

You need at least a 36 lb 6.5" travel bike for that. Nobody, and I mean, nobody would attempt SBT on a 29er SS unless they were insane, drunk or a person with helmet hair

Trust me, you'll hate it.

OK, thanks for that... very useful information...I'm actually thinking that I'm just going to sit down inside, in a sturdy comfy chair, and dial 9 then 1 and just wait for trouble.

S

banned
    Why ride SBT when you could ride TSV

....and 3 of them did it on rigid SS 29'er's! Check out the elevation chart near the end of the thread....yikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I rode up SBT today on the rigid, it was awesome, I didn't miss the squish (ha) at all....
    until I hit El Nogal going down, oh god that sucked, I still have my hands in the shape of my handlebars, I am worried about a few fillings etc. For the up though, it is hard to beat, I love the 29er wheels, something akin to a tank. I think I will ride with some suspension tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Since I have only ridden the SBT on a rigid SS and loved it both times, I would say go with your SS. Trade that blur for tacos at Quadalajara
    nobody reads your blog

banned
    NO!

El Parasol in pojoaque, nm...yummmy!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions.... good to see there's a solid SS 29er crew down there. I'll likely make the decision as I'm loading the car - but since there talking shuttles - I'm leaning towards the Blur ( that's a LOT of Tacos!) - Either way I'm going to enjoy it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions... looking forward to the weekend - 2 weeks away!
    Peace,
    S

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    El Parasol puts carrots in their burritos. Who puts carrots in their burritos??? Ug.

banned
    Carrots?...I don't remember seein' no carrots!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    they are in their dude, all shredded up and trying to hide but look close, those little orange flecks aint chile peppers! Besides you have it all wrong, the best buritto in El Norte is at Toribios in the middle of nowhere with less than a sign and grease you can scrape off of the dinning room walls. Ummmmm.

banned
    hmmmm....this could make an interesting thread.

mtbr member

Ok here is the deal!

1. El Parasole has great Tacos..carrots or no carrots...it will make you regular and some people need all the help they can get especially after they drink Budweiser Clamito beer
    2. Jambolia is a registered food source and its acceptable on almost any ST in America...especially if everyone is out of food already.
    3. Budweiser Clamito beer isnt beer and should never be allowed on any form of ST/dirt road/parking lot/planet Earth...You dont have an excuse for drinking it not even if you are drunk already...even if it is free!
    4. 29ers make you smile...you wish you had a big one
    5. SS rigid 29ers make you wish you could ride the big wheels too...

Besides Nob... who has size issues will always dislike anything taller than him...BTW 29er wheels are taller than he is...

Like I said at my last Niner AA meeting...
    Hi Im Paul
    I ride with the BANDELEROS! Hell Ya!
    I own and ride 29ers
    I drink my home brew beer from a dixie cup
    I carry my Jambolia and PBJ wherever I go
    I always have a spare tube
    I can count on bringing up the rear during the climb
    But at least I wont be last on the descent

mtbr member
    This is my kinda' thread...

I now know not only that I should ride the SS29er on SBT, but I've seen some great other routes.. I'm thinking that I may do that epic TSV ride you linked to on Saturday w/ a friend and then shuttle with the gang of strangers on Sunday. I am also learning about how to stay regular with carrots in my burritos, who has the best food around... lets keep it rolling.

S