mtbr member
    Sep 2008

ABQ ride Sunday morning (9-28)

I know there is some big thing going on that weekend, but is there anyone staying in ABQ that is up for some trail riding?

I want to get out early (9-ish?) & be done shortly after lunch. I have never really been on any trails here in NM & have no idea what to expect. I rode a lot of trails in MT for about a year before moving out here, and here I have done nothing but street riding.

I'm looking for some trail guides willing to take some fresh meat out for some fun & show me the good spots to ride. I'll buy the first round of cold ones afterward

mtbr member

Maybe

What trails have you been on so far in Alq and the local areas besides the street stuff?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nothing here in ABQ, up & down the Rio Grande but I dont consider that a trail.
    & all over around my house (Paseo & Golf Course area), but I have not found anything fun out here yet either.

Bandolero

Avoid the dragons!

Try North or South Foothills. Pretty hard to get lost.

Or Cedro/Otero/Tunnel (where the word Google is). That'll give you a good gauge on how easy NM riding is.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member

Ride Alq

I agree north Foothills (FH) would be a good place to start riding the local terrain.
    It is XC stuff...no worries.
    Tunnel/Otero/Cedro...is more challenging.

If I dont get called to work this weekend perhaps I can take you to the FH's.
    What are you riding? You dont need full suspension for the FHs...if you have a SS Rigid 29er that will work great!

Send a private message to me for more contact info

off to ride
    Jun 2008
    J man, I live on the west side and somewhere close to ride that is nice to get out and crank for an hour is the Corrales Bosque. It's flat, and I mean flat. but it does wind quite a bit and you can get in a high gear and crank. I do this when I only have a little bit of time to ride, but you can go and go and go and never find the end of the trail. I've ridden out 7 miles and never saw the end.

Like the others have said, the foothills is also a nice ride. I park at Spain past Tramway (follow spain east until you can't go any further, turn right and parking lot is on the left) and ride to the tram. Out and back on Trail 365 is just over 9 miles and is a cool place to ride. I'm a beginner, so it has it's challenges for me but it's fun to take on. Out and back takes just over an hour for me.

banned
    Avoid the Dragons
    and the 'notaknobs'

...and Bandoleros!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am riding a GF GED, sweet bike but for the riding I like I should have gone with a full suspension. (plan to pick one up whenever I fall into some dough)

Maybe I am confusing people, I am new to trail riding but have been riding bikes since I was a little kid. I prefer somewhat technical trails, and mostly down hill. I have been up the tram & would love to fly down the mountain sometime, but I know not how to get there, what is needed, etc.... nor do I have a person to go with, incase something were to happen to me on the trail I'd hate to be alone.
    I am a noob in the sense I prefer drops around 3ft or less & I may not be as fast flying down the trails as the regulars but I want to be.

XC is not really my game unless there are a lot of fun trails at the end :P
    Urban freeriding is all I have done since moving here, I am not very good at tricks but I love jumping off things.

mtbr member
    Ive ridden my 29 HT through Otero east and west it will rattle you in a few places but its fun.
    The FHs has few areas that you can jump off of. Plus it wont punish the bike as much as Otero. The GF GED will perform great on the FH's.
    What day do you wanna ride Saturday or Sunday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah? I am game to rattle some **** loose. Not worried about punishing the bike, I am sure it can handle everything I can throw at it. Looking at the map the Otero (or the Google area anyway) looks promising.

Has to be Sunday, it is my only free day of the week.

So who all can make it?

mtbr member
    Hey J-man,
    Your other option is that we're doing a small Well jam early Sunday morning. It's pure FR, push your bike up the hill and hit big jumps and drops. Some of the stuff has been hit on HT's, there is some smaller stuff there. It's 20 miles west of Santa Fe so there's a little drive to get there. It's still hot out there mid day so we try to get there by 7:30 and probably head out around 11 or 12 (maybe to the Santa Fe dirt jumps in afternoon)

other option -ask Tony "G" at Bike Works if anyone is riding Sandia DH trails - They shuttle almost every Saturday and Sunday afternoon(Sat. is last day at Pajarito though) but they seem to have a hard time getting up there before 11am. I'll try to get down to Sandias in the next few weeks to show you around if you don't get hooked up before then
    RS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not looking for a long drive to bike this weekend, but I will take you up on riding the Sandias sometime.

As for the Well jam, how big are these jumps & drops you speak of?
    It sounds like a ton of fun, but I think it may be a little beyond my abilities.
    You have a map of the place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_man
    I'm not looking for a long drive to bike this weekend, but I will take you up on riding the Sandias sometime.

As for the Well jam, how big are these jumps & drops you speak of?
    It sounds like a ton of fun, but I think it may be a little beyond my abilities.
    You have a map of the place?
    The Well and The River (close to each other) have drops from 4' to 20' and jumps from 15' table to 35' canyons (40 footer coming soon to a theater near you)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, I am pretty sure I will be going to Otero this Sunday, just need to find some people to ride with. I want to be out & riding by 8:30~9:00am.

pcupach, it was good talkin to ya today, & I hope you get better so you can come riding.

mtbr member

Poured myself into the car

I made it to work today...IOm feeling better...I may be able to make it out this weekend.
    Wish I could go to Colorado or Paj!