banned

4th of July rides!

So, where'd everyone ride today?

delnorte, crash88, and I hit up some Cochiti action. The storms hovered around all day and didn't open up until we topped out at Griffin's. It's greeeeeeen up there! Awesome time of year to be in the backcountry We ran into a total of 3 bear (sorry, no pics ) and one, the papa, was a biggun! He was up the trail from mama and the two cubs. According to my compadres I almost got eaten trying to sneak in for a close-up The other two were cubs and they quickly scurried up a tree to avoid us on the Medio Dia DH. We stopped and mama bear was nowhere to be seen, but the cubs were cornered in the tree. Needless to say we didn't hang around very long. I had a weird feeling that the mama was perched somewhere watching our every move.

Anyway, it was a great day to be on the bike and I think this pic kinda sums it up. There is something about the simpleness of it...

Heaven???

Did I mention that it was greeeeeen?

Whats this?

mtbr member
    The funniest part was when you were signaling to us to yell if the bear started approaching you as you were crawling closer through the ditch. That bear starts walking right down to you and Crash & I were like..."Oh sh!t!, he's gonna be somebody's lunch!"
    We didn't want to yell to startle it, but didn't quite know what to do! I think you guys were less than 50 feet away from each other then the bear saw you and bolted back the other way. Talk about a tense moment!
    That was one of the most beautiful rides of the year for me. Bear, deer, canyons, aspen, sweet singletrack and some darn good riding partners.

banned

Inquiring minds want to know...

So, how was the HT two-niner?

Will your next bike purchase be a big-whee l?

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    The funniest part was when you were signaling to us to yell if the bear started approaching you as you were crawling closer through the ditch. That bear starts walking right down to you and Crash & I were like..."Oh sh!t!, he's gonna be somebody's lunch!"
    We didn't want to yell to startle it, but didn't quite know what to do! I think you guys were less than 50 feet away from each other then the bear saw you and bolted back the other way. Talk about a tense moment!
    That was one of the most beautiful rides of the year for me. Bear, deer, canyons, aspen, sweet singletrack and some darn good riding partners.
    I wish I had a picture of Brian and that bis ass bear when they met eye to eye.

mtbr member
    A couple of weeks ago I rode right up to a big bear on Medio Dia. It was the biggest I have yet seen in the Jemez and really light brown colored - almost blonde. I was digging frantically for my camera, but it bolted before I could snap a pic. I wonder if it was one of the bears you saw...
    there can be only one... track

banned
    It was by far the biggest bear that I had ever seen. I think they are pretty territorial, so I would imagine that it was the same family of bear. Our sighting (the daddy) was near the meadow before Griffin's. The other two cubs we saw much further down towards the moto gate.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    On the fourth I did the Monarch Creat trail to Marshall Pass. Then the Colorado trail to Silver Creek. Silver Creek from the divide down to the Rainbow trail, then down to hwy 285. About 35 miles of bliss. Monarch Crest trail is open and pretty much free of snow. 10 miles over the tree line then down to 7000 ft. What a Fourth of July ride. The views were outstanding! Pics to follow soon

banned
    ooooh...can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    So, how was the HT two-niner?

Will your next bike purchase be a big-whee l?
    I think you mean SS 29'er. Don't think I'll be replacing the Bando Whip with one of those unless I can round up enough money for some mary bars to go with it.
    I just graduated to full-suspension not too darn long ago... I won't start reverting even further back than I was! Crash88 sure knows how to tear it up on that thing, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Heaven???

Wow, those are some really nice shots, Bryan. Wish I had taken those...
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Bandolero
    Hey Delnorte when is your Alabama buddy coming to town. I would like to get in on that one especially since my family is from Alabama

banned
    check your pm's