mtbr member

4 days off...where to go?

Will be taking off work for a 4 day weekend Aug 14-17. Want to drive all nite on Thurs after work to limit wasting good riding time.
    Thinking of Flagstaff or Salida, but wondering if anyone has any other good ideas for AZ/CO where we will not overheat, can ride MTB & hit up decent food joints/ breweries. Mmmmkay? Thanks in advance, homies.

banned
    +1 for Flag. I might be able to join you for a day in Flag. Been wanting to head that way for a while. Also, we did a 3 day thingy a few years ago. Flag, Sedona, and then down to Phoenix. Great trip! If you do make it to Phoenix, make sure to hit Goat Camp at White Tanks. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Have you considered Durango? Good food, brew and trails. Another option is Gunnison and Crested Butte...better trails, worse food.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by don_o
    Have you considered Durango? Good food, brew and trails. Another option is Gunnison and Crested Butte...better trails, worse food.
    I hit Durango plenty. The Butte was a consideration, but we skied there so much this year we want to hit another town. Ginnison...hmmmmm...Is it hot there in mid August?...Well, i guess it's goona be hot anywhere, but not Moab hot.
    Thanks.

Mythical Creature
    TJ - Salida, no brainer. Plus, if I recall correctly - you paddle some, and man! Salida is mecca for mtbiking, paddling, and even *gasp* some road riding if you needed a 'break' one day. Do you know Andy R.? He's a former local Fanta Sean and he and his wife are in Salida now - and he could show you a hole lot of secret locals-only stuff, if you asked nice! Plus, movies on the town lawn - which is right on the river, in the evening, with a six pack and some food are hard to beat.

Great town and awesome people.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    I hit Durango plenty. The Butte was a consideration, but we skied there so much this year we want to hit another town. Ginnison...hmmmmm...Is it hot there in mid August?...Well, i guess it's goona be hot anywhere, but not Moab hot.
    Thanks.
    Gunny is freakin HOTT in the summer!

All the high-high stuff in DGO is great right now, as would be the temps.

Moab would be brutal this time of year, no doubt.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Plus, movies on the town lawn - which is right on the river, in the evening, with a six pack and some food are hard to beat.
    Hey Glen, Is there some more info about the movies in the park? That sounds like a great idea for the family when we are up there next weekend.

Thread Pollution
    Double ditto on Salida save Arizona for colder weather.Now is the time to roll in the Rockies and Higher altitude

mtbr member
    Been to Salida/BV 100 times. We were just hoping that something less obvious would come up. Funny how we get stuck on visiting the same places, but hey- Salida/BV is second to none!
    We probably will end up in Winter Park because I've only ridden there one weekend and there was still a million miles of stuff I wanted to see.

I HIGHLY reccomend the Winter Park area. I can't beleive that nobody ever rides there and discusses it on the NM threads. Great riding, ultimate family accomodations for those who have kids, and you can walk/ride everywhere. And you can bring the big-hit bikes and ride lifts for a day as well- Pajarito kicks their butts for terrain, but WP runs are very long and super fast, so it's nice for a different style of DH riding.
    There is something like over 1000 miles (literally) of singletrack there.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    Hey Glen, Is there some more info about the movies in the park? That sounds like a great idea for the family when we are up there next weekend.
    Couldn't confirm or deny it Tim - as my buddy who lives in Slaida wasn't even sure! I'll see what I can find out... the park is called 'Riverside Park'.
    follow me on Twitter!

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    I HIGHLY reccomend the Winter Park area. I can't beleive that nobody ever rides there and discusses it on the NM threads. Great riding, ultimate family accomodations for those who have kids, and you can walk/ride everywhere.
    Figured you'd 'done' Salida TJ - and as for WP, why not? Because it's another 2 - 2.5 hours of riding and rather close to metro-Denver, meaning a lot of I-70 and a lot of people in general. Relative to NM, anyhow - which might be good at times! I hear the XC is great, as of course the DH is.

As for 'family friendly', depends on the 'family budget'!
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Figured you'd 'done' Salida TJ - and as for WP, why not? Because it's another 2 - 2.5 hours of riding and rather close to metro-Denver, meaning a lot of I-70 and a lot of people in general. Relative to NM, anyhow - which might be good at times! I hear the XC is great, as of course the DH is.

As for 'family friendly', depends on the 'family budget'!
    Well, I have 4 days off - not just a weekend! 2.5 hrs further away & something different than usual is what I'm hopin for! Plus we'll be taking 285 for a nicer drive and just as direct to WP from Santa Fe. Trust me there's so much singletrack in WP, it's super easy to get away from all the people.

Thread Pollution
    something different?trail from Montrose to Telluride.Stop in Rigdeway at the Orvis hotsprings.