Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

29er or 26" in NM. What says ye?

Im sure its all personal preference but Id like to hear it anyways.
    Other question is how hard is it to sell just a frame these days? Any idea what an 07' Titus motolite would be worth? No damage just normal wear. All aluminum.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

Is the bike OK?

Tweener

Neither, go for the Tweener (650B/27.5")!

29er or 26" in NM. What says ye?-nealnewbike.jpg

mtbr member
    No right anwser there

Airborne Flight Crew
    Think it's too subjective.

I like my 29r for cruising and fast rides, but for anything tech, I think it's just a little too much bike (for me). Places like Road Apple, Alien Run, Phils World and the like are kicka$$ for the larger wheels. You can really get up and run on those trails. Even most of the foothills stuff is fun on the larger wheels.

But techy moves, aggressive stuff... I have to say I prefer the smaller wheels. There's something to be said for "flickability". No matter how nimble you make a 29er, I think the 26er will have that edge.

That new Enduro sure looks sweeeet though
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    so where is the review Neal? How long have you had it?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    so where is the review Neal? How long have you had it?
    I've only had it a couple of weeks and a handful of rides but so far it's freaking awesome! It just eats up anything technical and the bigger wheels keep it rolling fast. It's a bit heavier than my Enduro mainly because its not carbon but it's not noticeable. Besides the bigger wheels it also came with 31" bars and Hans Damf tires (my new favorite) which both add a lot to aggressive riding. The frame design makes it really easy to manual and jump. This bike honestly feels like it could hit any DH trail at Pajarito but can climb the mountain to get to them. I'm riding 3-Bears/Cabra tonight and can't wait to try it on that long technical descent.

I'm not missing anything about my 26" wheels for trail riding. It's hard to say if 650B would do as well for pure downhill bikes but we'll get to see how KHS does this season. I've also been really impressed with some of the new 29'rs like the new Spez Enduro. My gut feeling is that they wouldn't be as fun for jumping and pumping transitions but its hard to say.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by barleylegal View Post
    Do you think this bike is more confidence inspiring as far as geometry and reliability than your Enduro?
    Yes, definitely! I was also on regular SPD's back then which made me feel a bit awkward on tech stuff compared to flats. I've switched to XT Trail SPD's and they make me feel better without having to put the DH flats on my trail bike. But as far as the Norco Range goes, it just feels like it could blast down anything. Most bigger wheel bikes go to a steeper head angle to make the bike turn tighter but the Range kept it slack and the end result is a trail bike that feels closer to a DH bike (in the good way!). I never liked how my Enduro felt jumping but although I haven't jumped much on the Norco, it feels a lot closer to my old SX Trail in the air. One note I should add is that my Enduro was a 2010 and the new 2013's have a better geometry from what I hear.

For the kind of riding you and I like I don't think you can beat a bike like this. For a little less aggressive riding but still "all-mountain", I think the Norco Sight is a really nice option too. My daughter's now on a low-end Scott Genius and she loves it. My wife hated it but she doesn't ride like Michelle . The Genius probably falls somewhere in between the Range and Sight for aggressiveness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    I've only had it a couple of weeks and a handful of rides but so far it's freaking awesome! It just eats up anything technical and the bigger wheels keep it rolling fast. It's a bit heavier than my Enduro mainly because its not carbon but it's not noticeable. Besides the bigger wheels it also came with 31" bars and Hans Damf tires (my new favorite) which both add a lot to aggressive riding. The frame design makes it really easy to manual and jump. This bike honestly feels like it could hit any DH trail at Pajarito but can climb the mountain to get to them. I'm riding 3-Bears/Cabra tonight and can't wait to try it on that long technical descent.

I'm not missing anything about my 26" wheels for trail riding. It's hard to say if 650B would do as well for pure downhill bikes but we'll get to see how KHS does this season. I've also been really impressed with some of the new 29'rs like the new Spez Enduro. My gut feeling is that they wouldn't be as fun for jumping and pumping transitions but its hard to say.
    Very cool. Looking forward to seeing that bike in action!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Is the bike OK?
    They've made some huge changes to their latest bikes and the way the linkage works. You'll have to check this thing out sometime (LA is drying out quickly!). It's built fairly burly. These bikes are presently very difficult to get a hold of and are probably sold out for 2013.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is this like the "which tire pump or sock is best for the front range" threads they have up in the CO forums?

Also I would love to try out a range or other 6" 650b bike. Seems like it would be a sweet combo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like my 29er but I am doing more and more technical stuff and noticing more flex in the frame and wheels. I love how it kills rock gardens and roots etc.

All these bikes are good, pick your flavor of engineering comprises.

Nm has every type of riding so any type of bike will work here.

I <3 NM
    For what it's worth, Fat Tire Cycles has a 140mm travel Transition Convert 29r as a demo sled. (it's a medium frame).

Costs is $80/day (and they are a bit lenient on the times - or so they said).
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

saddlemeat
    I'm riding both rigid and FSR (!) 29ers in NW New Mexico because they are smoother in the rough, climb well, and are very stable. Size is also a factor for me, the bigger wheels feel more natural.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

but i want to ride now
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    For what it's worth, Fat Tire Cycles has a 140mm travel Transition Convert 29r as a demo sled. (it's a medium frame).

They also have a Med Intense Tracer 275 for those who have an interest in the Tween wheels.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post

the turner sultan is really nice.. i thought the transition was just too slack and slugish\

Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I'm riding both rigid and FSR (!) 29ers in NW New Mexico because they are smoother in the rough, climb well, and are very stable. Size is also a factor for me, the bigger wheels feel more natural.

I'm a 29er believer my next bike will be a long travel 29er(140+)

Bandolero

one for a dollar, two for a buck

There's way too much ambiguity in this thread.

F-that. 26ers rule in NM. For me. On the trails I ride.

I've heard this question many times and have been told I should try one. My response: "I know 6 people that ride 29ers that are good and I respect their opinions. *You're* not one of them. *None* of them recommend I ride one based upon where and what I ride."

//if you're over 6', ride a 29er or look like you're riding a toy. But don't rationalize an excuse when I'm waiting for you at the top and bottom of the trail. And leave that thing behind if you're going to Angel Fire.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member

Good job!

Name:  0315092104.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  52.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob View Post
    There's way too much ambiguity in this thread.

F-that. 26ers rule in NM. For me. On the trails I ride.

I've heard this question many times and have been told I should try one. My response: "I know 6 people that ride 29ers that are good and I respect their opinions. *You're* not one of them. *None* of them recommend I ride one based upon where and what I ride."

//if you're over 6', ride a 29er or look like you're riding a toy. But don't rationalize an excuse when I'm waiting for you at the top and bottom of the trail. And leave that thing behind if you're going to Angel Fire.
    you dropped this

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My 29er served me quite well for Angel Fire. I had a blast. Not sure anything else matters.

Also, I would most certainly recommend you ride one. I would never suggest it is better or faster at everything you do, but why the **** not? It's a bike ride on something different. At least you would then know why and why they would or wouldn't work instead of 2nd hand info. Riding bikes is fun.

Bandolero
    Have I ridden with you?

I'm not the best rider in the NM but I do know one thing: They can't make a 29er that suits me. Why? Geometry gets funky at my altitude. I'm f-ng short.

Without even throwing my leg over one I can unequivocally state that it is NOT better or faster at riding anything *for me*. Your mileage may vary, but trust me - a 29er will never be in my stable.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

I <3 NM
    Oh come on nota, you know you love 29rs!

They give you plenty of time to drink a beer at the top of climbs while waiting for em to catch up to you.

But no - there is no reason or advantage for you to ride one, ever. A 650b maybe, but a 29r, nota chance.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's gentleman. I like hearing others perspective. Plans is to ride one mañana and go from there.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

mtbr member
    Where at what kind and whats your style

mtbr member
    I ride mainly in the santa fe area and mainly xc rides. That being said Im a one bike kind of guy so if I traveled Id probably only bring the one bike.

mtbr member
    Got a 26 AM and a 29 HT. The 29 is great for La Tierra and trails similar, 26 for the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Got a 26 AM and a 29 HT. The 29 is great for La Tierra and trails similar, 26 for the rough stuff.
    Mmmmm rough stuff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast