Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cptpowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88

    29er or 26" in NM. What says ye?

    Im sure its all personal preference but Id like to hear it anyways.
    Other question is how hard is it to sell just a frame these days? Any idea what an 07' Titus motolite would be worth? No damage just normal wear. All aluminum.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

  2. #2
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    886

    Tweener

    Neither, go for the Tweener (650B/27.5")!

    29er or 26" in NM. What says ye?-nealnewbike.jpg

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    No right anwser there

  4. #4
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,328
    Think it's too subjective.

    I like my 29r for cruising and fast rides, but for anything tech, I think it's just a little too much bike (for me). Places like Road Apple, Alien Run, Phils World and the like are kicka$$ for the larger wheels. You can really get up and run on those trails. Even most of the foothills stuff is fun on the larger wheels.

    But techy moves, aggressive stuff... I have to say I prefer the smaller wheels. There's something to be said for "flickability". No matter how nimble you make a 29er, I think the 26er will have that edge.

    That new Enduro sure looks sweeeet though
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,000
    so where is the review Neal? How long have you had it?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  6. #6
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    so where is the review Neal? How long have you had it?
    I've only had it a couple of weeks and a handful of rides but so far it's freaking awesome! It just eats up anything technical and the bigger wheels keep it rolling fast. It's a bit heavier than my Enduro mainly because its not carbon but it's not noticeable. Besides the bigger wheels it also came with 31" bars and Hans Damf tires (my new favorite) which both add a lot to aggressive riding. The frame design makes it really easy to manual and jump. This bike honestly feels like it could hit any DH trail at Pajarito but can climb the mountain to get to them. I'm riding 3-Bears/Cabra tonight and can't wait to try it on that long technical descent.

    I'm not missing anything about my 26" wheels for trail riding. It's hard to say if 650B would do as well for pure downhill bikes but we'll get to see how KHS does this season. I've also been really impressed with some of the new 29'rs like the new Spez Enduro. My gut feeling is that they wouldn't be as fun for jumping and pumping transitions but its hard to say.

  7. #7
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by barleylegal View Post
    Do you think this bike is more confidence inspiring as far as geometry and reliability than your Enduro?
    Yes, definitely! I was also on regular SPD's back then which made me feel a bit awkward on tech stuff compared to flats. I've switched to XT Trail SPD's and they make me feel better without having to put the DH flats on my trail bike. But as far as the Norco Range goes, it just feels like it could blast down anything. Most bigger wheel bikes go to a steeper head angle to make the bike turn tighter but the Range kept it slack and the end result is a trail bike that feels closer to a DH bike (in the good way!). I never liked how my Enduro felt jumping but although I haven't jumped much on the Norco, it feels a lot closer to my old SX Trail in the air. One note I should add is that my Enduro was a 2010 and the new 2013's have a better geometry from what I hear.

    For the kind of riding you and I like I don't think you can beat a bike like this. For a little less aggressive riding but still "all-mountain", I think the Norco Sight is a really nice option too. My daughter's now on a low-end Scott Genius and she loves it. My wife hated it but she doesn't ride like Michelle . The Genius probably falls somewhere in between the Range and Sight for aggressiveness.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    I've only had it a couple of weeks and a handful of rides but so far it's freaking awesome! It just eats up anything technical and the bigger wheels keep it rolling fast. It's a bit heavier than my Enduro mainly because its not carbon but it's not noticeable. Besides the bigger wheels it also came with 31" bars and Hans Damf tires (my new favorite) which both add a lot to aggressive riding. The frame design makes it really easy to manual and jump. This bike honestly feels like it could hit any DH trail at Pajarito but can climb the mountain to get to them. I'm riding 3-Bears/Cabra tonight and can't wait to try it on that long technical descent.

    I'm not missing anything about my 26" wheels for trail riding. It's hard to say if 650B would do as well for pure downhill bikes but we'll get to see how KHS does this season. I've also been really impressed with some of the new 29'rs like the new Spez Enduro. My gut feeling is that they wouldn't be as fun for jumping and pumping transitions but its hard to say.
    Very cool. Looking forward to seeing that bike in action!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  9. #9
    Is the bike OK?
    Reputation: nealpederson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    886
    They've made some huge changes to their latest bikes and the way the linkage works. You'll have to check this thing out sometime (LA is drying out quickly!). It's built fairly burly. These bikes are presently very difficult to get a hold of and are probably sold out for 2013.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    570
    Is this like the "which tire pump or sock is best for the front range" threads they have up in the CO forums?

    Also I would love to try out a range or other 6" 650b bike. Seems like it would be a sweet combo.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    570
    I like my 29er but I am doing more and more technical stuff and noticing more flex in the frame and wheels. I love how it kills rock gardens and roots etc.

    All these bikes are good, pick your flavor of engineering comprises.

    Nm has every type of riding so any type of bike will work here.

  12. #12
    Int'l Man of Leisure
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,262
    For what it's worth, Fat Tire Cycles has a 140mm travel Transition Convert 29r as a demo sled. (it's a medium frame).

    Costs is $80/day (and they are a bit lenient on the times - or so they said).
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  13. #13
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,182
    I'm riding both rigid and FSR (!) 29ers in NW New Mexico because they are smoother in the rough, climb well, and are very stable. Size is also a factor for me, the bigger wheels feel more natural.
    I ride with the best people.




  14. #14
    but i want to ride now
    Reputation: aldousfilcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    For what it's worth, Fat Tire Cycles has a 140mm travel Transition Convert 29r as a demo sled. (it's a medium frame).

    Costs is $80/day (and they are a bit lenient on the times - or so they said).
    They also have a Med Intense Tracer 275 for those who have an interest in the Tween wheels.
    sweet sweet trails

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    For what it's worth, Fat Tire Cycles has a 140mm travel Transition Convert 29r as a demo sled. (it's a medium frame).

    Costs is $80/day (and they are a bit lenient on the times - or so they said).
    the turner sultan is really nice.. i thought the transition was just too slack and slugish\

    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I'm riding both rigid and FSR (!) 29ers in NW New Mexico because they are smoother in the rough, climb well, and are very stable. Size is also a factor for me, the bigger wheels feel more natural.

    I'm a 29er believer my next bike will be a long travel 29er(140+)

  16. #16
    Bandolero
    Reputation: notaknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,427

    one for a dollar, two for a buck

    There's way too much ambiguity in this thread.

    F-that. 26ers rule in NM. For me. On the trails I ride.

    I've heard this question many times and have been told I should try one. My response: "I know 6 people that ride 29ers that are good and I respect their opinions. *You're* not one of them. *None* of them recommend I ride one based upon where and what I ride."

    //if you're over 6', ride a 29er or look like you're riding a toy. But don't rationalize an excuse when I'm waiting for you at the top and bottom of the trail. And leave that thing behind if you're going to Angel Fire.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636

    Good job!

    Name:  0315092104.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  52.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob View Post
    There's way too much ambiguity in this thread.

    F-that. 26ers rule in NM. For me. On the trails I ride.

    I've heard this question many times and have been told I should try one. My response: "I know 6 people that ride 29ers that are good and I respect their opinions. *You're* not one of them. *None* of them recommend I ride one based upon where and what I ride."

    //if you're over 6', ride a 29er or look like you're riding a toy. But don't rationalize an excuse when I'm waiting for you at the top and bottom of the trail. And leave that thing behind if you're going to Angel Fire.
    you dropped this

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    570
    My 29er served me quite well for Angel Fire. I had a blast. Not sure anything else matters.

    Also, I would most certainly recommend you ride one. I would never suggest it is better or faster at everything you do, but why the **** not? It's a bike ride on something different. At least you would then know why and why they would or wouldn't work instead of 2nd hand info. Riding bikes is fun.

  19. #19
    Bandolero
    Reputation: notaknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,427
    Have I ridden with you?

    I'm not the best rider in the NM but I do know one thing: They can't make a 29er that suits me. Why? Geometry gets funky at my altitude. I'm f-ng short.

    Without even throwing my leg over one I can unequivocally state that it is NOT better or faster at riding anything *for me*. Your mileage may vary, but trust me - a 29er will never be in my stable.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

  20. #20
    Int'l Man of Leisure
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,262
    Oh come on nota, you know you love 29rs!

    They give you plenty of time to drink a beer at the top of climbs while waiting for em to catch up to you.



    But no - there is no reason or advantage for you to ride one, ever. A 650b maybe, but a 29r, nota chance.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cptpowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88
    Thanks for the reply's gentleman. I like hearing others perspective. Plans is to ride one mañana and go from there.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Where at what kind and whats your style

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cptpowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88
    I ride mainly in the santa fe area and mainly xc rides. That being said Im a one bike kind of guy so if I traveled Id probably only bring the one bike.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    310
    Got a 26 AM and a 29 HT. The 29 is great for La Tierra and trails similar, 26 for the rough stuff.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Got a 26 AM and a 29 HT. The 29 is great for La Tierra and trails similar, 26 for the rough stuff.
    Mmmmm rough stuff

  26. #26
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    753
    Long travel 29er
    Doesn't suck

    4th Coyote climb
    9th Birdhouse climb
    4th Birdhouse descent
    6th Tio Juanito descent
    6th rocky DH NFH
    6th Blue Ribbon DH
    3rd Tunnel Canyon Descent
    6th Lone Pine descent
    3rd Otero Descent
    KOM Elena down the middle
    KOM "Down" Coyote
    Name:  strava.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  23.1 KB
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC V2

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    The strava gauntlet has been thrown!

  28. #28
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Long travel 29er
    Doesn't suck

    4th Coyote climb
    9th Birdhouse climb
    4th Birdhouse descent
    6th Tio Juanito descent
    6th rocky DH NFH
    6th Blue Ribbon DH
    3rd Tunnel Canyon Descent
    6th Lone Pine descent
    3rd Otero Descent
    KOM Elena down the middle
    KOM "Down" Coyote
    Name:  strava.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  23.1 KB
    Finally some actual data!
    I ride with the best people.




  29. #29
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    It is all personal preference. Some like 26 and some 29 and each bike has its place. Biggest thing I'd say is if the bike fits you and your comfortable on it then its the right bike.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    148
    ^ what he said.

    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    It is all personal preference. Some like 26 and some 29 and each bike has its place. Biggest thing I'd say is if the bike fits you and your comfortable on it then its the right bike.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    570
    Its fair game to throw a stick in the spoke of a stravaer if they try to kill you going down hill right? Thought I saw that in the TOC somewhere.

  32. #32
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,328
    Had a blast on my 29er up in Otero, but there were some things it held me back from (namely just a large drop or two) because I didn't trust that it would hold together. Taco'd a wheel too. It was comfortable on jumps and medium drops, but just not my cup of tea for "that type" of riding.

    I dunno, maybe a bit smaller frame and some tougher wheels would change my mind
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  33. #33
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    753
    Throwing a clothesline would work too.

    All ambiguity aside,
    26ers have no place with me.

    With the exception of Birdhouse, I've ridden these trails, as well as many others, on a Trek Remedy and a Spez SJ both setup with burly AM tires and dropper posts. The 29er (no dropper but 2.25 Nobby Nic rear and 2.35 Hans D front) smashed all of my previous times, up and down.

    I'm not tall btw, 5'10"

    It likes the air, but I don't do the larger drops, just like going downhill fast.

    Individual results may vary.

    Ride fast...take chances
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC V2

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Had a blast on my 29er up in Otero, but there were some things it held me back from (namely just a large drop or two) because I didn't trust that it would hold together. Taco'd a wheel too. It was comfortable on jumps and medium drops, but just not my cup of tea for "that type" of riding.

    I dunno, maybe a bit smaller frame and some tougher wheels would change my mind
    Ill hop on the band wagon when i get some cash.. lots of solid 29er rim choices. Then put them on chub hubs and get your faviort builder to set them up... just need a couple of dollars... but. I think ill be able to do all that stuff on a 29er and be way faster on the "flow"...

  35. #35
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    753
    The Fox 34 140mm helps as well as the WTB Frequency I23 rims (tensioned them up a bit myself).
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC V2

  36. #36
    Int'l Man of Leisure
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,262
    Nota's tiny wheels blaze the down Tunnel faster than most, I'd say...
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    The Fox 34 140mm helps as well as the WTB Frequency I23 rims (tensioned them up a bit myself).
    Did they pass the drop to flat test ?

  38. #38
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    753
    done a few 3-4 foot drops to flat no issues.
    I do have 135mm rear/140mm front squish which softens the blow.
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC V2

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    89
    Why limit yourself to those two choices? Hold out for the 32er. If bigger is better they should be coming out anytime now.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by rodmccrady View Post
    Why limit yourself to those two choices? Hold out for the 32er. If bigger is better they should be coming out anytime now.
    We allready went over this. Its a 24" front and a 36" rear. But they are still in pre production

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    481
    I have a 6" travel AM 26er and a 4" travel XC 29er. Both have their place on the local trails but neither makes comfortable enough going down to just one.





    That was until I checked out the tallboy LT today. Now they both have to go
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 03-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    14 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I have a 6" travel AM 26er and a 4" travel XC 29er. Both have their place on the local trails but neither makes comfortable enough going down to just one.




    That was until I checked out the tallboy LT today. Now they both have to go
    Whats the 6" ? You ready to sell it?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    481
    PM sent
    14 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL

  44. #44
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Whats the 6" ? You ready to sell it?
    I know of an X-5 in good shape locally for sale. Got a new bike so it needs to go. Will also help fund repairing the Jeep after a head on yesterday.

  45. #45
    Int'l Man of Leisure
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,262
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  46. #46
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,182
    ^thinly veiled hypocrisy at best
    I ride with the best people.




  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schraderlp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    29r all the way. Anything else sux.

  48. #48
    but i want to ride now
    Reputation: aldousfilcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by schraderlp View Post
    29r all the way. Anything else sux.
    Except when I go flying by on the downhill


    and the uphill




    on my 26



    because it doesn't really matter what size wheel you ride



    just that you are in some way better than the other guy




    and this argument that will perpetuate itself longer than man will survive upon the surface




    of this godforsaken orb
    sweet sweet trails

  49. #49
    but i want to ride now
    Reputation: aldousfilcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116
    ugh
    sweet sweet trails

  50. #50
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: mlx john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    753
    mullets rule.
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC V2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Love my 5" trail bike in 26". Is 5" in a 29er too much?
    By Stumpy_Steve in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 11:22 PM
  3. "Crunchy" drive side bearing on 2012 Epic 29er
    By shakatak in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 05:05 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •