mtbr member

2017 Spring South Boundary conditions

Good afternoon everyone. I have the itch that only the South Boundary can scratch. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are on South Boundary? If it isn't rideable yet might you know when it will be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Spring South Boundary conditions-img_4557.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Good afternoon everyone. I have the itch that only the South Boundary can scratch. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are on South Boundary? If it isn't rideable yet might you know when it will be?
    The last few days in March through the first week in April saw fairly significant snowfall above 10,000 feet in the mountains around Taos. Given the cold nights during that period and relatively moderate daytime temps for the first 10 days of April, I would guess that SBT will not be rideable until middle May at the earliest. Of course we could get a heat wave which could change this timetable, but while you want to ride up there soon, it is not good for the forest if temps rise too quickly. Patience and you will be rewarded in due time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail report. I did not though, ask for your opinion on what is good or not good for the forest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Thanks for the trail report. I did not though, ask for your opinion on what is good or not good for the forest.
    haha! my bad!

Stucco Bucket
    based on the weather last week, hows it looking for this weekend? any chance>?

Perpetually Intermediate
    Fresh snow this afternoon at 8700 feet. It'll go away quickly, but this weekend is still out.

Stucco Bucket
    thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How are things looking for next weekend? Thinking about heading down for Memorial day weekend. I'd love to get some trail beta.

Perpetually Intermediate
    Doubtful by Memorial Day. More snow up high yesterday. The only firsthand trail report I've gotten was from a trail runner starting in Taos on the lower section...Ojitos and up about 7 miles...and there was still snow on the north side at 9,000 feet and enough fallen trees to be a challenge even for a runner.

That said, it's supposed to finally hit the 70's later this week, so hopefully things will melt off and dry out quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck80442 View Post
    Doubtful by Memorial Day. More snow up high yesterday. The only firsthand trail report I've gotten was from a trail runner starting in Taos on the lower section...Ojitos and up about 7 miles...and there was still snow on the north side at 9,000 feet and enough fallen trees to be a challenge even for a runner.

That said, it's supposed to finally hit the 70's later this week, so hopefully things will melt off and dry out quickly.
    Thanks for the reply. Winter seems to be slightly extended this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Damn, headed down from MN for the holiday weekend. Really wanted to check the SBT off the list. Oh well, any suggestions on an alternate ride? More into gravity oriented riding, have my wife to shuttle me wherever I want. Been studying the Raven's Ridge > Windsor area, what's the best way/route to ride here? What's Rio en Medio like?

Is the bike OK?
    If you want to go through Los Alamos all of our epic rides are in prime condition right now and very gravity oriented. We've got rides that with a <1000' feet of climbing, descend over 3000' to town. We've also got some fully shuttleable rides and a really good bike park that opens Saturday (5/27) from 1-6. That's the only day it's open this weekend but you could easily combine it with AF or other rides in the area.

mtbr member
    REM is supposed to be clear and the sawyers went down it already (at least the lower half). I highly doubt Raven's Ridge is remotely clear yet. Lots of north facing slopes above 10k.

Practice using your GPS, REM is real backcountry and it's easy to miss some critical turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Gotcha, what about white mesa? How far of a drive from Angelfire, and would that be worth it. I see singletracks has it as NM's favorite trail.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TugboatComplex View Post
    Gotcha, what about white mesa? How far of a drive from Angelfire, and would that be worth it. I see singletracks has it as NM's favorite trail.
    White Mesa is a LONG way from Angel Fire (3+ hours?) and is a pretty short trail. If shuttling is your thing, get dropped off at the top of Hyde Park Road in Santa Fe and cruise down the Winsor trail. Bonus points for side trips on Borrego/Bear Wallow and Chamisa/Sidewinder.

mtbr member
    Or spend $5 and take the bus up there. http://ncrtd.org/uploads/files/255%2...l4_4_17(6).pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    White Mesa is a LONG way from Angel Fire (3+ hours?) and is a pretty short trail. If shuttling is your thing, get dropped off at the top of Hyde Park Road in Santa Fe and cruise down the Winsor trail. Bonus points for side trips on Borrego/Bear Wallow and Chamisa/Sidewinder.

Right on. Also I'm not against some pedaling at all if you got any must ride suggestions.

mtbr member
    Try taking the bus up to the Nordski stop, down Winsor, up Chamisa, follow Saddleback down to the Juan trail, up La Piedra to Dale Ball North to Dale Ball Central and back into town. Should take a few hours and will get you 3:1 descending on climbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome advice, thanks man!

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Angel Fire boys clearing the down trees today and the rest tomorrow. Snow on top on the north faces. I don't know enough to give advise, just My .02

Perpetually Intermediate

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome update! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The South Boundary Trail is open! Snow has melted, mud is drying, and trees are starting to get cleared off the trail. Turquoise Tours is running shuttles daily to Garcia Park ($35) or the trailhead at FR 76 ($45). Bicycle Tours/Shuttle or 575-776-8687.

Perpetually Intermediate
    Rode SBT from Mondragon/660 (near Garcia Park) into Taos today...bone dry, fast, green as can be. 5 fallen trees requiring dismount. Was told there are about 10 trees requiring dismount above Garcia Park. Saw a two man Forest Service crew with shovel and saws near the log drop so they are gradually working their way up, and a crew from Taos Cyclery is hoping to clear some trees from Garcia Park in both directions this week.