Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I <3 NM

2013 Epic Ride Plans?

Anyone planning on doing some Epics this year?

If so, where are you planning to ride?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Genius
    I would like to do Durango to Silverton. I only tried it once, and failed. I made my attempt 3 years ago in June/July but there was still way too much snow about 10 miles north of Purgatory where the trail disappeared every couple hundred feet and then eventually it was just gone all together. Not necessarily an epic at 50 miles, but it's damn nice country with wicked trails.
    Last edited by De La Pena; 01-28-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Goals for 2013 are SBT, and the Monarch Crest Trail. If I can get to Moab or Sedona that would be snazzy too.

I <3 NM
    I'm hoping to get some of this action by this time next year - the Italian Dolomites.

Visiting the Queen –*A Mountainbike-Trip in the Dolomites (English Version) on Vimeo
    Last edited by MTBNate; 01-29-2013 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Fabricate a rack to tote my bike on the back of the Triumph and head up to Paonia, CO for the rally. Ride Crested Butte during the day and camp in Paonia at night...right between the beer tent and the stage. Not really epic, I suppose. But close enough for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    I would like to do Durango to Silverton. I only tried it once, and failed. I made my attempt 3 years ago in June/July but there was still way too much snow about 10 miles north of Purgatory where the trail disappeared every couple hundred feet and then eventually it was just gone all together. Not necessarily an epic at 50 miles, but it's damn nice country with wicked trails.
    50 miles isn't an epic to you??? That's an epic in my book.

Now that I have my surgery behind me, I plan on getting in good enough shape for all day rides again. Missed riding to deep remote areas. Will have a lot of work to do to get in climbing shape again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just4Pix View Post
    I'm hoping to explore more of the Chama area, but it's going to require a purchase...
    I got two bikes for sale

Or are you talking dirtbike?

mtbr member
    I've got a bug to do the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita to Moab. Not quite sure how I want to do it though.

I think doing it 100% self supported without a sag wagon is more epic than I'm after. I really enjoyed doing White Rim in Moab last year with a group of friends and one truck to carry our kit (we took turns driving it).

Doing our own sag wagon isn't terribly inviting for Kokopelli though since a truck can't follow the route. Using a paid service to shuttle your crap around sounds good. Here's an example:

Kokopelli Mountain Bike Tour

I need to get in touch with them though. Since they pick the days, I guess you're stuck with being part of a larger group. Not really sure about that part. I'd rather pick the group members and have shared cook/camp duties than a free for all with multiple parties all trying to use the shared kitchen, etc.

I <3 NM
    I have has several friends do this and LOVED it:

Kokopelli Trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I have has several friends do this and LOVED it:

Kokopelli Trail
    Thanks Nate!

The fact that they take care of the cook duties makes this more appealing - that would be one cushy vacay Not a bad price considering it includes food too.

Unfortunately, May is bad timing for me - I need to wait until fall for my next MTB trip. (got another vacation planned for Feb/March and won't have enough vacation time accrued until later in the year)

Might have to keep this one in the back pocket for next year though!

Cheers,

Rob

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by robselina View Post
    Thanks Nate!

The fact that they take care of the cook duties makes this more appealing - that would be one cushy vacay Not a bad price considering it includes food too.

Unfortunately, May is bad timing for me - I need to wait until fall for my next MTB trip. (got another vacation planned for Feb/March and won't have enough vacation time accrued until later in the year)

Might have to keep this one in the back pocket for next year though!

Cheers,

Rob
    They used to have this in the fall, but not this year I guess. You might contact them and see if they are planning a venture later in the year. It's a good ride, except if the wind starts blowing - then it's a bish..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    It's a good ride, except if the wind starts blowing - then it's a bish..
    Have you had the opportunity to do it?

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by robselina View Post
    Have you had the opportunity to do it?
    No, not yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Fabricate a rack to tote my bike on the back of the Triumph and head up to Paonia, CO for the rally. Ride Crested Butte during the day and camp in Paonia at night...right between the beer tent and the stage. Not really epic, I suppose. But close enough for me.
    Eee. I want to ride crested butte too, and my ex's mom lives in paonia so I know it well. But isn't the drive to CB like 3 hours from paonia?

mtbr member
    I have a friend that did this (Durango to Moab) and loved it. I think if you have about 6 guys they'll give you the whole hut. They also have deals if you have enough riders.

Mountain Bike Durango to Moab | Hut to Hut Mountain Biking Adventures

Looks like they have a 200 mile race too.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Dunno about epics but i'm moving out of nm this summer so i want to hit some of the awesome trails the state has to offer.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Moab!!!

It's already on the calendar for late May/early June. Never been there before. Planning to stop in Cortez on the way to hit Phil's World. Going with at least one other buddy, maybe more.

I'm open to suggestions for where to ride, if those of you who have been there want to chime in. We're progressing in our riding skills more toward technical features with rocks, drops, etc. and are really enjoying the challenges from that type of riding.

We're currently planning to ride Slickrock Trail, Amasa Back, The Whole Enchilada (conditions permitting), and possibly Mag 7 or Porcupine Rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just4Pix View Post
    I'm hoping to explore more of the Chama area,
    Yeaa, I want see what Chama has to offer. I have never been there. I plan on doing the Chama Redneck Epic this year.

I <3 NM
    amazing pix, bro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Eee. I want to ride crested butte too, and my ex's mom lives in paonia so I know it well. But isn't the drive to CB like 3 hours from paonia?
    Not that far if you go over the top. Well maintained dirt road and reasonably fast... 60 - 70 minutes. Unless there is a cattle drive going on. Paonia is a hoot during the 'Top o the Rockies' Rally. Music, food, beer, motorcycles. It's also a whole lot cheaper than anything in CB... and I'm nothing if not cheap. BMWMCC Top O the Rockies Rally

I <3 NM
    oh yeah, I remember well.

I hate to think that whole area is burned now though..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    Yeaa, I want see what Chama has to offer. I have never been there. I plan on doing the Chama Redneck Epic this year.
    + 1 on Chama to ride the CDT. Id like to do the Redneck route, just not the race. I went to Sailda last fall and want to hit that area again this summer, as well as Buena Vista.

On the other side of Monarch Pass there is a trail called Lightning Creek I believe. It's in the book by Holly Brooks, a CB native. All day ride with one of the longest descents in CO. A must do this year.

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    This is my 2013 epic... Wife is having twins in 5 weeks and we already have a 2 year old. aaaaaaahhhhhh! Im kinda freaked out. Ill have to resort to commuting a few times a week to keep my fitness up just to hang with the guys on an occasional saturday. O well kids are fun and my time will come again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf View Post
    They added a 100miler to the Redneck. Also added to NMES is the Watermelon Beat Down. Not as long as some but its in our backyard.

I <3 NM
    This blog is all about epic rides:

gypsy by trade | Ridin' bikes and travelin' light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast