Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

2010 Puzzler - New Venue

After the awesomeness of the 12 hours of Old El Paso, the Puzzler organization committee decided that we really need to take advantage of that area and start our race at the Bowen Ranch.

So.....cheaper camping (we may have a camping fee), warmer morning (earlier contact with that giant yellow/orange orb in the sky), beer afterwards!!!!, and insanely hard single track.

Jan 17, 2010. 8 am. Be there!
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    After the awesomeness of the 12 hours of Old El Paso, the Puzzler organization committee decided that we really need to take advantage of that area and start our race at the Bowen Ranch.

So.....cheaper camping (we may have a camping fee), warmer morning (earlier contact with that giant yellow/orange orb in the sky), beer afterwards!!!!, and insanely hard single track.

Jan 17, 2010. 8 am. Be there!
    Sweet.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Who's doing it? I see only a couple of NM'ers signed up online. Smokin' Ray paid up in cash before the holidays.

The course is SICK!!! Lots of singletrack.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    I missed last year because of work and swore never again. so this year...

I am going to miss it because of work

High Alpine Adventure

So many commitments and so few races....

Damn, you guys would have to have your race when Willy Porter is coming to town...

http://www.willyporter.com/tourdates...ance_Space.htm

And I'm going to miss 24HITOP too because my girlfriend bought tickets for Eric Bibb...

http://www.ericbibb.com/

It's Valentines Day and she said I better not make any plans... you know what that means!!!

How bad do I want a girlfiriend?
    Last edited by DaGoat; 12-29-2009 at 09:02 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Damn, you guys would have to have your race when Willy Porter is coming to town...

http://www.willyporter.com/tourdates...ance_Space.htm

And I'm going to miss 24HITOP too because my girlfriend bought tickets for Eric Bibb...

http://www.ericbibb.com/

It's Valentines Day and she said I better not make any plans... you know what that means!!! How bad do I want a girlfiriend?
    I was kind of glad when my girlfriend now wife said that we needed to stop hitting concerts the night before races or else we'd never race well.

Have fun. We'll do it again in 2011.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Today is last day for the $40 entry fee! Tomorrow it's goes to $50.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

mnt bike laws of physics
    Guys, I am super excited to be able make it again this year. Remember last year I was taking the THEA (which I never used) while the race was going on.

Don't expect to win this time with the likes of Travis Brown and Evan Plews showing up. Sounds like it will be a great venue too. See you Saturday evening.

mnt bike laws of physics
    ...and I am really glad that I'm not going to beat by a girl since she is too busy producing offspring.
    Congrats Jen Do I get a new bike too?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by tribebabe
    Today is last day for the $40 entry fee! Tomorrow it's goes to $50.
    When does the Free Entry begin?

Moo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

How tech and rocky it this?

I will do this, just want some locals' advice on how the trails are.

How much is hike a bike and how brutally rocky is it? This is in reference to the long course.

How far apart are the aid stations approximately, time wise? I figure I don't need more than a 70 oz camelback if I keep to a moderate pace, am I wrong?

I just want to make some good equipment choices and your help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Gilarider; 01-06-2010 at 11:40 AM.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider
    I will do this, just want some locals' advice on how the trails are.

How much is hike a bike and how brutally rocky is it? This is in reference to the long course.

How far apart are the aid stations approximately, time wise? I figure I don't need more than a 70 oz camelback if I keep to a moderate pace, am I wrong?

I just want to make some good equipment choices and your help is appreciated.
    The course is pretty rocky...definitely a full suspension course.

After the first loop which is about 13 miles, you are back at the start and you can refuel/rehydrate there.
    Then you leave for the big loop which is the rest of the ride. There is going to be a sag vehicle/water-fruit station shortly after the biggest climb(Mundy's gap).
    I am told there is another water/fruit station after that but am not sure where.

I hear the winner will be about 6 hours so 70 oz. alone will definitely not do it unless you are a serious camel like Pablo....don't know anyone else who can go so far without water/food. "Normal" people will need plenty of food and water. I will bring a bottle and 70 ouncer but I will be refilling both as i go.

There be some swithbacks that are not completed on the new trail section nearing the end. After Mundy's climb the downhill has a very chunky section. Some will walk that...it is not fun to walk so if you can ride it you are better off...that section is about a 1/4 mile or so.

Will look forwad to seeing there...should be a great group sufferefest...

Real Estate Guru
    Me and Chris Casey are coming down from Albuq. I prerode part of the trail last weekend with Dave and Mike Rossin. The only way to describe it is: some of the old coyote and some of the new, and some other stuff that is really steep. But it will be fun and great for training, and really a great sufferefest for sure.. See you guys there.

Rich

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    It's marked! We'll finish putting up signs in Lower Heinrich next Saturday morning but the entire thing is flagged. The trails are ripping fast and I was excited to see so many people out riding the course today in the warm sunshine. Next Sunday is looking good for the long forcast! High 50s/low 60s and sunny.

Blog this...!

Hey, wait up!
    Newswire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Puzzler - New Venue-puzzler-article.jpg  

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    There is NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION. You can register at packet pickup on Saturday at the Bowen Round House between 12:30 and 4:30 for $60.

Blog this...!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    There is NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION. You can register at packet pickup on Saturday at the Bowen Round House between 12:30 and 4:30 for $60.
    I plan on registering during the race....that's okay isn't it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Directions to the race?

Edit: they must have posted directions when I wasn't looking. Found 'em on the site.

mnt bike laws of physics
    A huge thanks to all that made the Puzzler possible...for all the volunteers, helpers, the promoters and the racers who came out and rode some of the best singletrack one can ride in the winter. The course was so exilerating and challenging and the race could not have been better organized and the course better laid out.
    Free brew, free food, free fire, free camping, awesome riding, well supported, great people. Who could ask for more?

AMAZING!!! We will be back next year with more friends....the Pecos/Santa Fe riders will be notified. I would say plan on more campers in 2011.