I <3 NM

No good $50 for a White Mesa Ride??!

If anyone on here has signed up for a $50 guided White Mesa MTB ride thru Kirtland AFB's Outdoor Rec, please go get your money back and send me a PM - I'll do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirtland Outdoor Rec
    White Mesa Mountain Biking
    https://www.facebook.com/events/545075778843011/

Description: Fri · 30 Nov · $50 (Limited Free Slots - SAI)

15 miles of spectacular mountain biking trails through beautiful New Mexico landscape. This is a great adventure for intermediate to advanced riders. Kirtland AFB Outdoor Recreation will provide transportation, guides and instruction.

Call Outdoor Recreation at 505-846-1499 for details. RSVPing for this event through Facebook does not automatically sign you up to attend. Call this facility for details.

Date: Friday, November 30, 2012
    Time: 7:40am-4:00pm EST
    Duration: 8 hours 20 minutes
    Priority: 5-Medium
    Access: Public
    Category: Outdoor Recreation*
    Last edited by MTBNate; 11-27-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    but they will provide "instruction."

also since when does it take 8 hours 20 minutes to ride WM?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I wonder how many people have signed up for this.

I <3 NM
    No one, I hope.

Genius
    I wonder how many will fall off the ridge....?
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    None, actually.

I called ODR and they said it was canceled due to lack of interest.

Gosh, ya think?

mtbr member
    **** ill do it for 40 a person

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I was thinking about doing some Otero rides for $25 a pop. That includes instructions and a coke. Any takers? Or just give me a coke and I'll do it for free. Or hell, I'll just do it for free.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Someone called the office yesterday looking for suggestions/info on paid guides to hike them up La Luz...

I <3 NM
    I know you'd guide for beer alone.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 11-27-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelerator View Post
    Why do MTB'ers hate capitalism?
    It's not that we hate capitalism, but someone charging $50 a person to ride an otherwise free trail is stupid.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    Perhaps, but that is capitalism.

It's really no different than paying for GPS coordinates or maps at Trails.com. They also provide transportation. It would cost me $25 round trip.
    The base services is not a for profit org. They do require a minimum of 6 people to make a ride trip happen.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Perhaps, but that is capitalism.

It's really no different than paying for GPS coordinates or maps at Trails.com. They also provide transportation. It would cost me $25 round trip.
    If your in the right area, there is a need for a mtn bike guide service. Like Moab. Plenty of people make a living doing just that. But this is not the right area. I have even thought about doing a take on a Bed-N-Breakfast, Bike and Bed. Camping or a room at my place and show off our great trails here. Just don't see a need in this area. Yet.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    If your in the right area, there is a need for a mtn bike guide service. Like Moab. Plenty of people make a living doing just that. But this is not the right area. I have even thought about doing a take on a Bed-N-Breakfast, Bike and Bed. Camping or a room at my place and show off our great trails here. Just don't see a need in this area. Yet.
    A great idea who's time is just about here I think. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Outdoor Rec is just doing their part to balance the federal budget.Ever seen their ski package deals?

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    also since when does it take 8 hours 20 minutes to ride WM?
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Outdoor Rec is just doing their part to balance the federal budget.Ever seen their ski package deals?
    I seem to recall Ray saying something about y'all spending several hours out at White Mesa a while back...

I do know ODR has some nice skis you can rent and at a pretty cheap price too. I can't speak to their trip packages though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Odr

On the plus side they provided a screamingly good supported ride from Fruita to Moab. Worth every penny. And $50 for a day of instruction and guide service is cheap...$50 usually won't buy you an hour of instruction at most places.

mtbr member
    The shuttle up LPS/Porcupine Rim was $20. Now THAT was a deal. White Mesa ends where it starts. All you need to do is pedal. What instruction? 'Rubber side down'? OK, $50 for a guided ride at White Mesa in a full moon at midnight... with beer on the bus for the return trip. I think I could sell that.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa View Post
    On the plus side they provided a screamingly good supported ride from Fruita to Moab. Worth every penny. And $50 for a day of instruction and guide service is cheap...$50 usually won't buy you an hour of instruction at most places.
    I think I've seen the KAFB ODR van at Sedona before too. $50 for Fruita-Moab would be a good deal. I can't wait to see that advertised again.

However, $50 for a White Mesa trip???? Takes less than 2/2.5 hrs to ride it even at a slow/beginner pace. If they charged $20 for this trip, they'd get more participation.

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    Those guys at REC are rude as hell too...
    If i remember right they were asking $600ish pp for a Sedona, and I think thats just a long weekend trip.

I paid $400 12 years ago for a 10 day moab trip that included white rim camping permits and all the cool trails out there. Of course the food, camping spots and Arches Ntl park were included! Now that was a deal!

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I think I've seen the KAFB ODR van at Sedona before too. $50 for Fruita-Moab would be a good deal. I can't wait to see that advertised again.

However, $50 for a White Mesa trip???? Takes less than 2/2.5 hrs to ride it even at a slow/beginner pace. If they charged $20 for this trip, they'd get more participation.

My thought as well. If you're in Rio Rancho its a 10 minute drive. And there are freaking signs everywhere so it's not like you need a guide there, that is one trail you just can't get lost on.