Lewis Morris
    Kittatiny Valley
    Chimney Rock
    Six Mile Run
    Jenny Jump
    Teetertown Ravine
    Miquin Woods
    Point Mountain
    Several other small recreation/park areas.
    I live in Northern Hunterdon County. What do you all recommend, or what is your favorite trail in the area(North/central Jersey)? And lets not mention Allamuchy, I will never go back.

Cheers
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i didn't see mahlon dickrson on your list...it's a great ride!

also, f@#k the law, South Mountain was, is, the best ride in new jersey south of ringwood.

oh yeah, and Ringwood.

oh, and sourlands..short but pretty challenging and fun.

mtbr member
    where is south mtn?
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you didn't ride Ringwood, you deffinately should...probably the best ride that you are going to have in Jersey...really!!! I can't have enough with that park! Go there, ride it...get the map from www.rvccmtb.com

Born Annoyed
    Wawayanda
    Ringwood
    Kittanny
    Lewis Morris
    Stewart in New York
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.char
    And lets not mention Allamuchy, I will never go back.

Goodie -- more for us!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    where is south mtn?

Tucked in Essex County between the Oranges and Millburn...I don't think they (the police) patrol it much anymore-but riding went illegal there about ten years ago. But it's still worth riding-honestly, it's one of the best rides in NJ. Go guerilla and give it a shot-fight the power and all that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    whats wrong with allamuchy? its some of the most challenging stuff in NJ

mtbr member
    If Allamuchy is too difficult for you that would significantly change what i would recommend. I would say that Allamuchy, Ringwood, Mahlon Dickerson, and Wawayanda are all the same difficulty. And Sourlands is quite a bit more difficult than those.

Born Annoyed
    And lets not mention Allamuchy, I will never go back.

Cheers
    Sounds like you might be better off south of the bridge playing in the little rocks (sand), up north we like big sand(rocks)
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

mtbnj.com
    Allaire, Hartshorne/Huber, Chimney Rock
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Allamuchy is the best stuff in Jerz... I may be biased since I like techy stuff but if you don't like the park either you haven't ridden the good stuff or you need to work on your skillz...

mtbr member
    My skill(z) as you call them are pretty exceptional if you ask me, I've been riding for upwards of 8 years now, I currently race downhill, cross country, and dirt jump. I think I have a good background when it comes to east coast roots/rocks/streams/leaves, whatever else you want to include in there skills and know how to ride on the terrain in this area.
    The only reason I absolutely despise Allamuchy STATE Park is because when I was there not a single trail was marked worth a damn. And all I found were wide open trails the seemed to meander around with really no obstacles what so ever anywhere. I found a map and in no way were the trails in accordance with what was on the map. And I ended up coming out a trail head spitting me onto some road at the ass end of the park and had a 30 minute ride on 206 back to my car. So if you would like to give me a tour of the best trails in New Jersey I'd like to join you...Cheers.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    I agree that Mooch isn't marked as well as some other parks. That's half the fun. It's a pretty expansive park and if you don't explore it could be pretty unyielding. Don't speak so harshly against the park until you really see what is has to offer. Maybe there will be a ride coming up that you can partake to see the real side of Allamuchy...

mtbr member
    sounds like a plan to me
    Mary ss shenanigans

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Tucked in Essex County between the Oranges and Millburn...I don't think they (the police) patrol it much anymore-but riding went illegal there about ten years ago. But it's still worth riding-honestly, it's one of the best rides in NJ. Go guerilla and give it a shot-fight the power and all that!
    Just so you know there are efforts being made to change the ban on bikes in South Mountain. Jorba has brought IMBA's Trail Care Crew to SoMo to assist in the education of Sustainable Trails to the locals. While there have been great strides in negotiating our situation, sadly we are not there yet. So if you should decide to ride there be mindful of the efforts that have gone into SoMo. Thanks
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2brew
    Just so you know there are efforts being made to change the ban on bikes in South Mountain. Jorba has brought IMBA's Trail Care Crew to SoMo to assist in the education of Sustainable Trails to the locals. While there have been great strides in negotiating our situation, sadly we are not there yet. So if you should decide to ride there be mindful of the efforts that have gone into SoMo. Thanks

What exactly did the IMBA trail care crew do-was it just an informational session (and if so who and how many attended, and was there anyone one of specific and immediate influence) or did they actually do a demonstration by refurbishing a trail???

mtbr member
    Allamuchy is labeled just as good as all the other major NJ parks. The problem that you are having is the size. The most and best trails in NJ are in Wawayanda, Ringwood, and Allamuchy but you can get equally lost at all three. It's wild that you are such an avid mountain biker and yet you don't know the major parks of NJ. I can say from my intermediate understanding of Allamuchy that the most fantastic trails i've found are not labeled or shown on a map. I've gotten very lost in there and have had to do that drive back on 206 before also, luckily by that point i had a handful of great Allamuchy rides under my belt and didn't associate those experiences with a summary of the parks riding.

I actually find Ringwood to be the hardest to navigate, well, other than the race trail. Over on mtbnj.com there are lots of rides organized. You'd be doing yourself a lot of good to go ride with some groups and get to know these parks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My skill(z) as you call them are pretty exceptional if you ask me, I've been riding for upwards of 8 years now, I currently race downhill, cross country, and dirt jump. I think I have a good background when it comes to east coast roots/rocks/streams/leaves, whatever else you want to include in there skills and know how to ride on the terrain in this area.
    The only reason I absolutely despise Allamuchy STATE Park is because when I was there not a single trail was marked worth a damn. And all I found were wide open trails the seemed to meander around with really no obstacles what so ever anywhere. I found a map and in no way were the trails in accordance with what was on the map. And I ended up coming out a trail head spitting me onto some road at the ass end of the park and had a 30 minute ride on 206 back to my car. So if you would like to give me a tour of the best trails in New Jersey I'd like to join you...Cheers.
    I can see how one can get this impression, but it's completely wrong. This is one of the best parks in NJ but it can really use some more riders. I'm curious where you started and when you went. The major trails and some of the singletrack were remarked a couple/few years ago so now every trail isn't a white dot. Try starting from Rt 517 a little North of Rt 80 (you did go to Allamuchy North and not Deer Park to the south?). The trails are well marked on this side and start off fairly smooth and flowy (Orange). If you're looking for technical, head to the top of the Purple Cardiac trail and take some of the side singletrack. Next time park at Waterloo Rd. and make your way from white to yellow for a different experience - think lots of rocks.

mtbr member
    I parked at the waterloo lot and went in that way on the toe path, I think i went left somewhere along that.
    Mary ss shenanigans

Jersey Hucker
    I usually ride chimney rock and lewis morris, but haven't been out there in a while. Are there other places with longer downhills? I pedal/push my 43 pound to the beast and shred the downhills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I parked at the waterloo lot and went in that way on the toe path, I think i went left somewhere along that.
    I'm guessing you were probably on the red trail or the blue(?) trail. Both are ok loops if you do them in the correct direction - red is best clockwise - but not the cream of the crop and far from modern trail building standards. They can be good starting points if you cutoff on some side trails into the rest of the park. From Waterloo I like first left onto white about 20 seconds from the parking lot. Singletrack will quickly end then make a right onto rocky fireroad. Eventually make a left onto Yellow. Yellow is essentially a fire road but is so rocky it feels exactly like singletrack. Don't do this when wet.

Per my other post, for first timers, I advise the 517 western side of Allumuchy North. It has more of a mix - tarmac smooth fast singletrack (orange loop) to rocky switchbacks (purple) - and is very well marked.

These truly are part of the "best trails in NJ".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    What exactly did the IMBA trail care crew do-was it just an informational session (and if so who and how many attended, and was there anyone one of specific and immediate influence) or did they actually do a demonstration by refurbishing a trail???
    Essex County Executive Joseph D. Vincenzo attended the IMBA TCC and had a very good discussion with gt2brew above. Also was in attendance was the Parks Commissioner, Dan Salvante.

Besides building 3/4 of a mile of great new single track (replacing about 1/3 mile of fall line double track), the IMBA TCC weekend and the hard work of local volunteers, managed to convince the South Mountain Conservancy to endorse mountain biking and they are formally submitting a proposal for mountain biking pilot in December.

3 years ago, Joe D. told a local activist that if he can work with the South Mountain Conservancy and get the endorsement of mountain biking from them, he would consider allowing mountain biking. We've not only secured the endorsement but we we've formed an outstanding trail work volunteer base and engaged in very successful sustainabnle trails initiative. I am very proud of the volunteers that have spent hundreds of hours making the trails in south mountain better than they have ever been.

We've kept up our end of the bargain; let's just hope that the county will not be shell shocked from the deer hunt controversy, and keep theirs.

If you want to help, rather than endorse illegal riding in the reservation, especially on an internet forum, endorse the sustainable trails initiative and volunteer. I'd also suggest that we ride legally elsewhere and call or write our Essex County freeholders and County Executive joe d., and Dan Salvante that you support the south mountain conservancy's sustainable trails initiative and mountain biking pilot.

http://www.essex-countynj.org/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsbar
    From Waterloo I like first left onto white about 20 seconds from the parking lot. Singletrack will quickly end then make a right onto rocky fireroad. Eventually make a left onto Yellow. Yellow is essentially a fire road but is so rocky it feels exactly like singletrack. Don't do this when wet.

Per my other post, for first timers, I advise the 517 western side of Allumuchy North. It has more of a mix - tarmac smooth fast singletrack (orange loop) to rocky switchbacks (purple) - and is very well marked.
    That is the exact way I went and it just so happens the day I went was just after a pretty big storm. But haha I did enjoy watching my fellow compadres get wet feet if you know what I mean; in the mud. I got through that mud hole nice and clean (knock on wood for the next attempt), they had some trouble.

Well it seems that I have the wrong impression of Allamuchy. I have all next week off for Thanksgiving from school. What trails do you recommend. Do I stay south of I-80? Where do I park. I'm going to give it another chance.
    Mary ss shenanigans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Allamuchy is labeled just as good as all the other major NJ parks. The problem that you are having is the size. The most and best trails in NJ are in Wawayanda, Ringwood, and Allamuchy but you can get equally lost at all three. It's wild that you are such an avid mountain biker and yet you don't know the major parks of NJ. I can say from my intermediate understanding of Allamuchy that the most fantastic trails i've found are not labeled or shown on a map. I've gotten very lost in there and have had to do that drive back on 206 before also, luckily by that point i had a handful of great Allamuchy rides under my belt and didn't associate those experiences with a summary of the parks riding.

I actually find Ringwood to be the hardest to navigate, well, other than the race trail. Over on mtbnj.com there are lots of rides organized. You'd be doing yourself a lot of good to go ride with some groups and get to know these parks.
    I do alot of riding in my area I get very discouraged driving a long distance to go ride. I live in Hunterdon county. I know what it's like to ride unmarked trails. What marked trails should I stick to too try to find some unmarked ones I'm used to keeping my eyes open for other loops.
    Mary ss shenanigans

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast