mtbr member
    Oct 2005

X-post: Moving to Rockland/Bergen county region

My wife is considering a job in Palisades, NY. I understand there is great riding in Ringwood and Wawayanda. Can anyone recommend other good riding a bit closer to the Lamont-Doherty campus of Columbia University? I would like to live in an area where she could bike to campus (10-15 mile radius from Lamont) and where we could ride to singletrack. Anyone know of a town/neighborhood in NY/NJ where that is possible? It appears there is a ton of parkland in Rockland county, but is mtn biking illegal in all of them? Talman mtn, palisades park, Blauvet, etc, etc...

Also, are there benefits to living/buying in NY versus NJ?

Many thanks for your recommendations.

mtbr member
    There is a new trail system setup by nyc mtb guys just opened up in May on northern Manhattan in High Bridge Park. You could drive down by G.W. Bridge, park your car on Jersey side(traffic could be horrible on that bridge at times) and ride into park by crossing the bridge on your bike. Check out NY board and nycmtb.com.

On the bright side Palisades is right on route 9W which is a roadie heaven. You could see over hundred riders on weekends.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz
    My wife is considering a job in Palisades, NY. I understand there is great riding in Ringwood and Wawayanda. Can anyone recommend other good riding a bit closer to the Lamont-Doherty campus of Columbia University? I would like to live in an area where she could bike to campus (10-15 mile radius from Lamont) and where we could ride to singletrack. Anyone know of a town/neighborhood in NY/NJ where that is possible? It appears there is a ton of parkland in Rockland county, but is mtn biking illegal in all of them? Talman mtn, palisades park, Blauvet, etc, etc...

A comprehensive NJ trail guide can be found here:
    www.mtbnj.com

We lived in Nyack for 3 years prior to relocating to Northern New Jersey, and loved it. I frequently rode the trail system in Westchester County, like Graham Hills, Sprain and Blue Mountain: www.wmba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz

my friends and I never had any problems riding Talman and Blauvelt. Theres also Tweed Mtn some where along that chain as well. I live in westwood and drive over to these places, nice little downtown, restaraunts/bars and a sweet bike shop. If you could find a place in piermont they too have a couple of restaraunts and bars and a bike shop with a lil less riding to get to these places.

mtbr member
    Nyack and Piermont are good places to live, cute downtowns with stores and bars etc. Great if you've got no kids. Some of the towns in Bergen County across the border are good -- If you're buying a home, the taxes are cheaper in Bergen County (compared to Rockland) and the appreciation is greater. Though the towns in that corner of NJ are pricey: Rockleigh, Norwood, Alpine. Few homes for less than 500k. I also live in Westwood, a couple towns south, and its got a small downtown and is more affordable, though a 10-mile bike ride from Palisades. Depends what your family and financial situations are.

As for real MTB riding, Blauvelt has some riding, but you'll want to travel to Ringwood or Blue Mountain, each around 20 min from Palisades. Stewart also has some great singletrack and is around 30 min north of there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...so it sounds like a pretty great place to live if you're a mountain biker? in my experience, it is hard to find a place to live near work and also within biking distance of good singletrack. I currently live 25 and 35 minutes driving from good riding...but not as much climbing or perhaps as much rock outcrop as it seems that you guys enjoy. I'm 11 miles from work...any closer and i'd be further from riding.

what are the downsides? Expensive housing? Congestion?

$500 k for a house is a bit nuts. My wife and I (no kids) may look for a short term rental as we scavenge the real estate market. Are the towns you all have been mentioning good places to find rental homes? I have a dog, which sort of complicates the rental gig.

all your replies are appreciated.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Westwood

both Justin and I live here. But you got to ask him about realistate. Hes the one with the house. My GF and I rent a one bedroom. Driving/roadriding around the are i see a lot of places for rent. But the downside alot of them are though realities. Depending on how nice the place is, you can get a one bedroom for around 1100 and a two for 12-1400. Whats nice about Westwood is you are pretty smack dab in the middle from the Palisades and route 17 which can take you to Ringwood and Wawayanda and just more north to Stewarts AFB. Nice lil downtown like Justin said with tons of banks and restaraunts, bike shop, theater, bus and train depots.